FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:51 pm

C 19 question

<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Mon May 02, 2011 8:29 pm

C 19 question

Thinking of rolling some tubes just not in the phono section. what tubes in the pre amp are for what? I guess I could just try them, but thought I could save some time by asking the people who know.
Ray
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon May 02, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: C 19 question

The tubes in the C-19 are for the line, tone, and phono stages. If you replace any, it is recommended you replace all as matched closely as you can.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

wkhanna

Post Tue May 03, 2011 7:27 am

Re: C 19 question

With the front panel of the amp facing you when you pull the top cover, the two tubes on the Left-hand side of the unit are for the pre section. The two tubes on the Right-hand side are part of the phono section.

It should be obvious that the pre section tubes are the place to start with when experimenting with rolling. That is because the phono section will only perform as good as the pre section will allow it to. Along with the fact the pre section will affect any & all other sources (CDp, Tuner, etc) run through the pre-amp.

Having matched tubes is a good if not always necessary idea. When dealing with low level signals, it becomes more important. Try to use matched tubes in pre & phono amp applications. You can sometimes get away with not having matched tubes in power amp applications if they are fairly close to begin with.

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

.....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Carver C-19, Heavily Modified by Vintage HiFi of Pgh
Rotel RB-1090
MMF-7 Turn Table, Pro-Ject Speed Box, AT150MLX Cartridge
Cambridge Audio 640C v2 CDp
Magnum Dynalab FT-11 FM Tuner
Oppo 970 DVD/SACD
Prw Mngt: APC H15
Speakers: "the Twins" - a Jon Marsh design, 1.5" solid poplar baffle, 68 Liter, bottom ported, MTM Towers (DIY)

Return to Carver Home (Audio)