FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:08 am

Carver TFM-45 Repair

<<

audiocr381ve

Post Fri May 20, 2011 2:59 am

Carver TFM-45 Repair

So, being the rebellious one that I am, I went against everybody's advice on sending my amp to get repaired by Rolland or Rita. I had a local shop with a stellar reputation called Classic Audio Repair fix my amp. Why? Price and turn-around.

Anyway, I spoke with the owner of the store and he said he's repaired several Carver TFM models. I have a few questions about the repair.

When I brought them amp in I wanted them to address the ridiculously loud noise floor ( I don't know if that's the correct term, but without any music playing the static is loud). They said this was normal of these amp and when you turn up the volume it won't matter anyway. Are they right or is their a fix for this?

I checked my amps serial number and it is a candidate for a service bulletin to correct "drift". Is their an official document that I could send the shop in the event that they don't know about this? (I know Rolland or Rita would have known about this, I'm doing the best I can with what I have)
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 20, 2011 3:08 am

Re: Carver TFM-45 Repair

You've got to be kidding. Send the damn thing to Rolland and be done with it. For the measly $300.00 he charges, he'll fix everything and then some, making it better than new.

Another thing, since I can say whatever the fuck I please over here. You should have used Sonicap's in the shunt circuit instead of using those cheap ass caps.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

audiocr381ve

Post Fri May 20, 2011 3:49 am

F1nut wrote:You've got to be kidding. Send the damn thing to Rolland and be done with it. For the measly $300.00 he charges, he'll fix everything and then some, making it better than new.

Another thing, since I can say whatever the fuck I please over here. You should have used Sonicap's in the shunt circuit instead of using those cheap ass caps.

I don't have the funds and the patience my man. They're gonna have my amp up and running in 2 weeks, which is awesome. I made sure to have a good conversation with the owner who has had very satisfied customers when they got their Carvers repaired/refreshed.

I did use Sonicaps in the shunt circuit (5.8uF and 12uF right?). I also used mills resistors. Axon True caps were used for the low-pass.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri May 20, 2011 4:00 am

audiocr381ve wrote:t
Anyway, I spoke with the owner of the store and he said he's repaired several Carver TFM models. I have a few questions about the repair.

Are they right or is their a fix for this?

I checked my amps serial number and it is a candidate for a service bulletin to correct "drift". Is their an official document that I could send the shop in the event that they don't know about this? (I know Rolland or Rita would have known about this, I'm doing the best I can with what I have)

1. There have been several around here who went local from someone who "knew how to repair Carver gear" & ended up paying $100 & MORE to get their amp back in WORSE condition....(you get what you pay for)

2. If You have a loud noise floor, THERE IS A PROBLEM.

3. Yes there is a fix for drift:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11490&hilit=drift+adjust
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5300&hilit=TFM
Last edited by TNRabbit on Fri May 20, 2011 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri May 20, 2011 6:53 am

I don't have the funds and the patience my man.
...Good luck!!! I hope you end up with the amp fixed even though I agree with Jesse and Rabbit.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 20, 2011 11:34 am

audiocr381ve wrote: I don't have the funds and the patience my man. They're gonna have my amp up and running in 2 weeks, which is awesome. I made sure to have a good conversation with the owner who has had very satisfied customers when they got their Carvers repaired/refreshed.

You said you were going to pay $450.00, but got the guy down to $150.00 because it didn't work properly, so there's your $300.00.

I did use Sonicaps in the shunt circuit (5.8uF and 12uF right?). I also used mills resistors. Axon True caps were used for the low-pass.

The low pass is the shunt circuit.

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 20, 2011 12:03 pm

You get what you pay for, audiocr381ve. Not being sure that your amp/system is giving you 100% of what it should personally drives me NUTS! Rita/Rolland are the only two I know of who can give this assurance (re Carver amps). Sending it to shop that is not versed in the idosyncrasies of Carver amps is a crap shoot. I have a TFM-45 that I did the PS re-cap on and the drift fix and the damping adjustments. I ALSO have a TFM-42 that was re-furbed by Rolland (42's and 45's are the same amp exactly except for the meters vs LED's). The Rolland refurbed 42 sounds better than the 45. The 45 is sitting on my shelf regulated to "back up amp" status. Mainly because I KNOW the 42 is 100% what these amps can be whereas I don't KNOW that about the 45! Hope it works out with the generic repair shop thing but how will you be sure??

And no, if you have residual noise (at low volumn), you have a problem. Both mine are dead quiet (except the 45 has a slight "transformer" hum that is audible if you get close enough; no such hum in the 42)....again, there's that "professional touch" difference! Good luck....but understand that we here have all "been there done that" and are trying to steer you down the right path. Forget the few extra dollars as being important....if you go the Rita/Rolland route you'll thank us for the great sound, which is really not a $ issue but a musical enjoyment issue! -Ed
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 20, 2011 1:44 pm

elgrau wrote:The 45 is sitting on my shelf regulated to "back up amp" status. Mainly because I KNOW the 42 is 100% what these amps can be whereas I don't KNOW that about the 45! Hope it works out with the generic repair shop thing but how will you be sure??

You can do an easy test to see if the 45 is OK and which of the two might be better in the real world ->

(Let me look, I know I have it here somewhere)

Found it in my KingMan file -
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Ok, no one has mentioned the great Tom at vintage Hifi. He is a carver head if I ever saw one and will work within the budget that Rolland and rita might not. Equal with the best of them. As a matter of fact, Rolland fixed and refurbed my 55 and also repainted the case as well. I spent a total of 390 with shipping and his work speaks for itself.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Now on another note, I have a 45 that I Did a recap that I somehow gave it a problem and now the amp is going to go to Tom because like some,(the owner) he does not want to spend the almost 400 that the others charge for a full refurb. Like I said,I did the recap but the amp will not play now. So Tom is going to repair whatever I did wrong and return the amp to the owner via fed ex.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon May 23, 2011 9:37 pm

Not a problem. I have been gathering parts for Carver gear for the last two years so I can fix them for the next 20. \:D/ Finding the parts has been a real bitch. It is about time there is a person on the EAST COAST that will fix, and mod. :D :D :D
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Mon May 23, 2011 11:25 pm

I went through Rita's for my TFM-45 refurb........Complete "go through", new caps, new cold solder joints, upgrade, bench tested AND signed by Rita herself....left her shop at factory specs....and my 45 is DEAD QUIET......all for $275...including return shipping.....TOTAL time invested....3 1/2 weeks.......listen to F1NUT .....You cannot go wrong with Rita or Rolland.......just my $.02....good luck!

P.S. If you do decide to go this route...PICK UP THE DAMN PHONE! None of this email bullshit....everyone complains about not getting a "reply"...you can do much better by PERSONAL COMMUNICATION!
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon May 23, 2011 11:40 pm

dyeraudio wrote:
P.S. If you do decide to go this route...PICK UP THE DAMN PHONE! None of this email bullshit....everyone complains about not getting a "reply"...you can do much better by PERSONAL COMMUNICATION!

Words of wisdom!

<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue May 24, 2011 11:14 am

dyeraudio: "new cold solder joints..."

What, the OLD cold solder joints weren't bad enough?? :lol: :lol:
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Tue May 24, 2011 11:39 am

elgrau wrote:dyeraudio: "new cold solder joints..."

What, the OLD cold solder joints weren't bad enough?? :lol: :lol:

NOPE! :lol: :lol: I guess the nice loud "snap, crackle and pop" every so often got old..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones
Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)