FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:56 am

How do you find synergy....

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:12 pm

Re: How do you find synergy....

and some have many SACDS to take advantage of that multi channel set up.

A common misconception, SACD was 2 channel first. Multi-channel was an afterthought to compete with DVD-A. Universal has gone back to releasing SACD's in 2 channel only with no CD layer either.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:18 pm

TNRabbit wrote:(as opposed to LOBBING, as in grenades)

Now there is some music --- :lol: :lol:

I have tossed a few. They are heavy and accuracy/distance is hard. Then came that little launcher that looks like a 50 gauge shotgun. You break it, slide in the artillery and whoooweeee !!! =D> I hate to think how much fun the stuff they use these days is.

That is synergy and you don't need a sub. First comes the bass sound and then the high pitched Rebel Yell -- :D
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:28 pm

TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:31 pm

F1nut wrote:
and some have many SACDS to take advantage of that multi channel set up.

A common misconception, SACD was 2 channel first. Multi-channel was an afterthought to compete with DVD-A. Universal has gone back to releasing SACD's in 2 channel only with no CD layer either.

I have a few old ones. I need to dig them out. Yes, as I recall some would play 2 channel in a DVD player and 5 in an SACD player. I don't remember the just 2 channel ones, but I like the sound ( :-" ) of that.

I welcome all new media as I think it is the weak link in most systems. I would rather have a boombox and a ton of cassettes than a whatever with just a few tunes to play.

I want it all to succeed, but I suspect all manner of CD/DVD things are not where the market is going.
Still, LPs are selling like crazy again so WTF !!!
Lets hope for it all.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:39 pm

TNRabbit wrote:

That is great.
I was just taking a grenade launcher though -- :lol:

My MOS was artillery, and I have fired hundreds of rounds bigger than that.
I also had nuclear rocket heads, but they never would let me test one.
I really wanted to --- :rolleyes:
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:43 pm

BillD wrote:I found a few conventional makers that worked on time alignment, notably Dahlquist and DCM, and ended up with a pair of Time Windows that I still have today (you gotta love rubber surrounds!).
Ooooh, what a fun speaker! I recently was graced with the chance to audition a pair of bookie DCM Time Window speakers. Surprised the living shit out of me. Jerry has the pair I heard and I told him that if I were him, I'd ditch all the other dozens of speakers he had and concentrate on these. Definitely a pure sound that had no issues whatsoever with imaging. Tried them out on the Cary tube amp, Jolida CDP and a Belles preamlifier.

My only gripe was that the top end seemed to be a bit bright at times, especially when played at a high volume. We didn't have time to swap some things out when I was down there last but I'll be going back down to Hotlanta two weekends from now and my plan is to spend a little bit more time with these little gems. He's got about 900 or so tubes that we can play with and Lord knows I have enough cables. Hopefully we can find some synergy with the gear he has.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Don't want to side track this great thread too much -

I was on the treadmill watching a video on how Jimmy Buffett set up a huge beach with speakers and so this is kinda about synergy.
With a long beach run, they had to worry about the sound reaching all the speakers at the same time.

I worry about that too now -- ](*,)

I suspect you want all your speaker wire equal. If one is 3 foot from the amp and one is 20 foot from the amp, should you cut the wire the same and roll one up into an ugly bundle? I am sure I could not hear the difference and now my amp is in the middle, but I still wonder -

So, explain please -- 8)
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Well, the speed of light is 3 × 10↑8 m/sec. At that speed, a few meters difference will be in picoseconds, far eclipsed by the difference, no matter how small the speakers are from the listener's ears.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:50 pm

BillD wrote:Well, the speed of light is 3 × 10↑8 m/sec. At that speed, a few meters difference will be in picoseconds, far eclipsed by the difference, no matter how small the speakers are from the listener's ears.

I only got to third grade.
That seems like I could not hear a difference.
While I have you on the line, if I have really well made solid cables, could I hear a difference If I spent more $$.

All my stuff is from BlueJeans-

I understand it might be better, but should a guy like me expect to hear a big difference beyond the obvious mental thing that I just paid 10K for a wire?

I truly understand they might be a better wire, but will I hear a difference and is is the difference better?

I do understand the easy answer is to listen and choose. I like Wayne and his thoughts. \:D/

But that is not a good answer.
I have good, solid wires, and I don't have an option to audition wire.

Any thoughts or advice ??
I do understand that this is a topic often covered and ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:15 pm

Cables

Bill, this is one of the reasons I will be hosting a cable workshop at Carverfest. You can get all of the advice in the world but some folks simply can not justify the purchase until they hear it firsthand. Bluejeans are not a bad cable. Just enjoy them until you come to Carverfest. It's my understanding that you are bringing your rig to the event, correct? Well, if so, let's swap out some cables in your rig so that you know firsthand what may work and what doesn't work without ever having to spend one stinkin' penny.

I'm working to have an undisclosed cable company offer us some cables for use at Carverfest. If and when it is solidified, I will let you guys know which company I am talking about.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Cables

treitz3 wrote:Bill, this is one of the reasons I will be hosting a cable workshop at Carverfest. You can get all of the advice in the world but some folks simply can not justify the purchase until they hear it firsthand. Bluejeans are not a bad cable. Just enjoy them until you come to Carverfest. It's my understanding that you are bringing your rig to the event, correct? Well, if so, let's swap out some cables in your rig so that you know firsthand what may work and what doesn't work without ever having to spend one stinkin' penny.

I'm working to have an undisclosed cable company offer us some cables for use at Carverfest. If and when it is solidified, I will let you guys know which company I am talking about.

I am not your protagonist on this.
I used to be, but some of you who know more than me seem sincere, and I have respect for yall.

I am eager to see what you have at Carverfest. It makes no sense to me today, but my mind is open.
As to my rig, probably not bringing much. Gary is bringing his and all can plug in stuff I guess as he is a friendly guy. Gary put all my junk together, so it would be redundant.

I could bring some speakers or etc to challenge Carver gear, but that is a downer and a looser. I don't think you use as much Carver now as you once did. It would be fun to test my Def Tec or Don's speakers against the Carver speakers, but this is not the place for it. (mine are heavy and Don would need a fork lift)
I have a lot of Carver/Sunfire but mine will not be needed.

Like Don, I might bring a "Red Herring".
<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Well, I might be able to supply a "control" for the cable experiment.
I use boat cable (12-2) for speakers.
speakerwire.JPG
speakerwire.JPG (47.36 KiB) Viewed 364 times

And 16-2 shielded for interconnects.
xlr.jpg
xlr.jpg (167.05 KiB) Viewed 364 times

It doesn't get much more ghetto than that. (Or would that be redneck?)
I've got an open mind about it being possible that something else sounds better, but I'm not expecting it. Pleasant surprises are always welcome.
Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:09 pm

Martin1970 wrote: (Or would that be redneck?)

I don't get that at all --

RedNeck is a good thing.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Hehe....we'll be glad to have you attend.

Shut up Redneck. :D

To Martin.....Oh, it's way more than possible. 1 IC [for example] can either make or break my system. This will not happen with all rigs out there as you have to be at a certain level to discern any difference but when you hear it? It's undeniable.

<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:24 pm

Re: Hehe....we'll be glad to have you attend.

treitz3 wrote:Shut up Redneck. :D

Shut up Redneck

Shut up Redneck

Shut up Redneck

Shut up Redneck

So now the prejudice from a New Englander mired in the South shows its ugly head --

I bow to your wisdom Tom.

I don't see it, but most here might.
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)