Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Carver Amps...which one to buy???

Dreamer posted:
"Cables are going to be KEY though, because of the impedance issue, and because the SL3s are tremendously revealing. You need "fast" speaker cables. The best cables I've EVER heard (and I owned some for a while) are Nordosts."

You'll be happy (?) to know that those wires are soon due back from the factory where I had them modded from bi-wires to bi-amp/bi-source capable, Dreamer. I'll be using them to bi-source from the Sunfire 300x2. I might have been able to do these re-terminations myself (and saved the $25x8 = $200 fee for this service that Nordost charged me), but my logic was that if I did it, no matter how well it looked I'd always have doubts that all the "pixy dust" had been properly applied, etc., and from experience I know that "not knowing" in audio can drive you crazy...! Plus now if I ever sell them (rare 6M Solar Winds with bi-amp capable terminations), I can say that the terminations were ALL factory done. I know I'd never buy any that were "hand modded".... And will look just so much better than trying to run two sets of wires to each speaker...and sound better I'm quite sure as well!
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.