FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:04 pm

Thinking I'm going to pull....

<<

HRDROKN

TFM-45

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Thinking I'm going to pull....

the plug and try out a Dared tube preamp... other than it not being Carver, anyone have an opinion on this move?

:-s
HRDROKN
MC-7P tube preanp, BBE2002R, Marchand XM44, TFM-35x .002, TFM-35x, M1.0t MKII .002, M500t, Silver 7t's, SDA-360 and Klipsch KLF-30's w/crites crossovers...
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: Thinking I'm going to pull....

HRDROKN wrote:the plug and try out a Dared tube preamp... other than it not being Carver, anyone have an opinion on this move?

Rogue Audio Perseus would be my call. Great preamp. My Sunfire Tube Pre almost lost to it, and with some tube rolling, it probably would have.

http://show.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/st.pl? ... ogue+audio
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:11 am

The move to a tube pre amp is always a good idea, IMO. Also seriously consider the VTL 2.5TL and the Joule Electra LA100 MkIII or Joule Electra LA150 MkII.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:27 am

HRDROKN wrote:the plug and try out a Dared tube preamp... other than it not being Carver, anyone have an opinion on this move?

I just recently picked up an Sl-200,,it will surprise you,but ,toss the stock tubes and get some of these ,

rectifier
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

signal
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

The dared responds well to tube rolling--good luck,,let us know what you end up with.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:50 am

Good choice...

I recently did an A/B with the Dared to my Dodd Audio MLP and I must say, I was surprised at how well the Dared did. This was not with the stock tubes, though. This is also the same exact unit that George now has. Now, I must admit this. When I auditioned it, it was on a pair of Zu Audio speakers [not the most revealing speakers out there] in a room with some of the worst room acoustics I have ran across so some of the inner detail and substance may not have been detectable between the two. Still, everybody else who uses one amongst the circle of audio nuts I chat with is very pleased. One has even found his "Holy Grail", if that tells you anything.

As Jesse said, the move to a tubed preamp is a good decision. In his opinion and mine. Oh, three more words.....

Roll, baby roll!!!!
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

HRDROKN

TFM-45

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:37 am

Oh Damn! Found the Tube Depot....

\:D/
HRDROKN
MC-7P tube preanp, BBE2002R, Marchand XM44, TFM-35x .002, TFM-35x, M1.0t MKII .002, M500t, Silver 7t's, SDA-360 and Klipsch KLF-30's w/crites crossovers...
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:59 am

I'll have to look.....

Dude, there is a thread around here somewhere in the archives of this forum that is what I would call the "master list" of tube shops. I haven't seen it in years buy just about every conceivable tube shop and private seller is on that list. The tube shop is just one of them...
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"

Return to Carver Home (Audio)