FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Comparing Amplifiers

<<

fiero11

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:07 am

Comparing Amplifiers

Hi again, I am trying to find an equivalent amplifier to my Carver 1.5t. I am looking at possibly using a TFM-45 as a mate for it, if not another 1.5t. How does this amp compare to the 1.5t and do you recommend any others, as well, that might be power and sonic equivalents to it?
Last edited by fiero11 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

HRDROKN

TFM-45

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:35 am

Re: Comparing Amplifiers

Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean about a "mate for your M1.5"? Biamping?
HRDROKN
MC-7P tube preanp, BBE2002R, Marchand XM44, TFM-35x .002, TFM-35x, M1.0t MKII .002, M500t, Silver 7t's, SDA-360 and Klipsch KLF-30's w/crites crossovers...
<<

fiero11

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:30 am

My apologies...I mean an amplifier to go with it that is about the same to run a second set of speakers; a second amp not a mono set up. I hope that clarifies it a little... all in the same room. A little more edit is in order. I am looking for a second amp to run a back pair of room speakers (SDA CRS+) along with a pair of front speakers (SDA !C's) to complette a room surround / image instead of running them all on one amplifier. I currently have a 1.5t and am looking for a good match to run either the front speakers or the rear speakers along with the 1.5t. Another 1.5t would probably be best, but I am open to other alternatives as well that would sound good and not over/ or under power the other amplifier. The amplifiers are run through a Carver C-1 Preamp.
Last edited by fiero11 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:44 pm

All in the same room or separate rooms?
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:13 pm

I was going to ask the same question Ed. More importantly, running the same source? For instance, if one was running the mains and another the surrounds, that's a different question than two sets of non-identical main speakers (which IMHO always sounds bad).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:50 pm

BillD wrote:I was going to ask the same question Ed. More importantly, running the same source? For instance, if one was running the mains and another the surrounds, that's a different question than two sets of non-identical main speakers (which IMHO always sounds bad).

Agreed ! O:)
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:33 pm

If you are running through a surround sound pre /pro the rears will not need anywhere near as much power as the fronts. In my HT I have a Yamaha surround 7.1 w/ the front channel pre out running into a Sunfire 300 x 2 w / Polk SDA - 2B's for the front and running center, side and rear off the Yamaha receiver and it sounds great. (sub out running powered Infinity sub)
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

fiero11

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:17 pm

At the moment the system is just running off the C-1 preamp and has no surround st up. It just has two pre outs for amplifiers. But I see what your saying, my back surrounds do not have to have as strong an amp as the fronts. :D
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:52 pm

If you run off a 2 channel preamp- the sound will not be what you imagine it will be. It will sound confusing because you will have a front channel in front and also behind you. Surround processors have delays built in so the sound is spatially realistic. For movies - You would be better off just sticking with stereo sound until you can get a good preamp / processor which adds the delay to the respective channels. Think of it this way.....if someone is running down a dark quiet street coming from behind you on a movie and they run diagonally across the room you would not be able to have the location correct by running 2 sets of stereo speakers of a 2 channel preamp(they would be behind you and in front of you at the same time). With a surround processor the sound would start in the rear speakers and continue the path the footsteps were actually taking diagonally across the room with speakers around the room fading in and out in timed unison to the footsteps. All the other 4,5 or 6 channels / speakers do is add emphasis for the 3D spatial information. I hope this helps!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

fiero11

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:16 pm

yes it does help. perhaps more thought is needed for my system and upgrade. I have been looking at a onkyo 9.2 preamp processor as well as possible picking up a sunfire pre amp processor. Or even a 9.2 reciever. Maybe that is a smarter route and save the carver equipment for a strickly listening set up.

Return to Carver Home (Audio)