FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:45 pm

What would your dream system be?

<<

1044InProgress

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:31 am

What would your dream system be?

Alright guys and girls.. this shoud be fun.

If cost was no issue and you could have a custom room tailored to your specifications, what would you have as your audio system? Any brand... it doesn't have to be Carver gear.

It can be a anykind of setup.. 2ch, Theater, etc..
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:32 am

Re: What would your dream system be?

That's easy- a pair of Bob's new Silver 9 tube's with a pair of Apogee Scintilla's...undecided on pre /cd, etc
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:57 am

I'd keep the system I have now & buy new vehicles.... 8)
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:22 pm

Well, the first post says dream room... But I would have two...

Stereo System Room

I would custom build an AL III Or AL VI type design that had 60" ribbons and a pair of JL 12" W3s,I'd have The Bob scratch build a crossover for the new speakers and a Preamp and I'd have two Fathom subs (13.5" of course). Because Bob would design the Crossovers, I wouldn't need an EQ or RTA. (little money saved there for later  :D )

When it comes to amps, I'd probably have Bob redesign a PT2400 or 2 so they have a "voice".... I love my PT1800, but it is very harsh. I hate the hassle that is involved with tubed equipment (tube goes bad, vintage tubes needed... Exc) so I would stay away from the tube end of the audio world...

I'd have a Transporter SE with a 10TB hard drive sitting in the rack, storing music as I listen to it, I would pay someone to figure out how to download EVERY song that plays off Pandora One account ( Pandora One accounts play higher quality songs). 

My iPad would be the remote for EVERYTHING, I'd do the whole automated house thing so that every light, piece of equipment, and whatever else I could think of is just a push of a button on my iPad.
Here is one of the more expensive versions: http://www.mobileintegratedsolutions.com/

I would probably get a Jolida CDP just because I love the remote with the bearings!! (I'd have that by my listening chair just to play with the bearings) I wouldn't need a Tuner because the Transporter plays ALL radio stations of the world!! I don't like the hassle of a TT, so I wouldn't have one... 

I'd probably get the same rack that DaveS has, it was cheap, simple, and the industrial look is awesome! Unlike DaveS, I would place Granite or Marble on top intead of Starboard because over the last 2-3 years the Carver Siver Tube Amp line has made the shelves sag a little.... 

Theater System & TV Room

This one is a little harder because I haven't listened to many satellite speakers, but I do like the Mirage satellites that dad has sitting (UNOPENED) in the box at the house.... I'd set up a 7.1 system with the Sunfire TGR5 and have that go into a second Preamp. (same as the one in the stereo system) in this room I would skip over the 2 JL Fathoms and get a JL 13.5" Gothem.... Mo' betta bass!!! 

I'd have theater chairs (not the POS that you sit in at a real theater....), a 150" projector screen and of course you can't forget the popcorn & soda machines! 
RIP BillD
BillD wrote:Well, some people are glass half empty people and some are glass half full. Being an engineer, I just think the glass is the wrong size.

My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Modified Carver AL III+'s (Pushed into the corners to make room for the ALS speakers)
Modified CarverFest 2011 20w tube amplifier
Carver Pro PT-1800
Sunfire Prototype TGA-2375
Carver TX-2 Tuner (not used)
Logitech Squeezebox (replaced Tuner & dad's CD player)
CARVERaudio Directional RCA interconnects
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:36 pm

I'm already there..... No where to go buy down now.

Lightstar amps, and pre. Transporter, music server. Custom built speakers made for me to beat the shit out of, and a JL Earthquake Maker.
Don't know what else I could possibly want....
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:43 pm

You probably need this, James.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:10 pm

naa... I saw that before. If I were going to blow an extra 2k I'd just get a tube-preamp. Silly to rework the Transporter to put tubes inside it...
I'm not a huge fan of tubes anyway.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

1044InProgress

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:14 pm

Guess I oughta post my dream setup.. I'm a fan of vintage audio so I'm going to list a modern and vintage dream system. Oh and I will add a dream theater setup in the future.. it's gonna be in the millions. 8)

Modern, Large Room:

Speakers: MBL 101 X-Trem's as omni-mains, Ascendo M's as focused-mains..

Amps: 2 Goldmun Telos ( Not sure what size ) and 4 MBL 9011 Reference OR 4 Krell Master Ref. OR Carver Silver 7's

Pre-Amp: ( I wish I didnt need one ) ( and I don't know how this would work lol ) Audio Note, MBL or Vitus

CD/SACD Transport: EMMLabs TSD1 ( because of the Meitner goodies )

DAC: MBL 1611f

TT: Transrotor Argos with a Vitus Audio Phono Pre Amp

Speaker Cables: Tara Labs T O's, or MIT Oracle's

Interconnect Cables : JPS Labs Aluminata's at the shortest length possible courtesy of custom cuts

Vintage, Large Room:

Speakers: 1 JBL Paragon, 2 Acoustic research AR3's

Amps: Macintosh MI-75's or 2 Carver Silver 7's, but I wanted to keep it vintage

TT: This is very difficult for me... Either a Luxman, Garrard or Micro Seiki
Last edited by 1044InProgress on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:30 pm

I am not as much of a "oldie" as some here when it comes to audio and havent had much of an opportunity to listen to different gear so far....but my RIGHT NOW system would be this:

2.2 system (because I like lots of bass sometimes :D )

Source: Computer (Pandora, FLAC via Media Monkey)
DAC: Wyred for Sound W4S DAC-2
Pre: Harmon Kardon 3490 (cant think of a pre I would really want)
Amps: Carver Silver 7's, Carver TFM-75
Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7's (or some nice Paradigm Signature S6's)
Sub: 2 Passive Chase Home Theater 18's (driven by the TFM 75)
Wires: MIT Shotgun S3 interconnects, speaker cables and LFE cables

HT:

Source: Integra DHC-80.2 (Audyseee XT32 :D)
Amps (11 total): 7 Carver Silver T's , 4 Carver TFM-35 each one bridged
Front 3 Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7's (one sideways as center below screen)
Surrounds (4 total): Magneplanar MMGW's
Subs: 4 Passive Chase Home Theater 18's
Wires: MIT Shotgun S3 interconnects, speaker cables and LFE cables

I am sure this will change as I listen to more gear here and there....
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

1044InProgress

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:11 pm

EndersShadow wrote:I am not as much of a "oldie" as some here when it comes to audio and havent had much of an opportunity to listen to different gear so far....

I was 16 when I first heard a 1/4 million dollar system.. I'm 28 now and still get excited like a little freakin girl when it comes to new audio gear.

I will say this.. The Carver Platinum IV's are without question, the finest speakers I have ever heard in their price range, by FAR.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:17 pm

1044InProgress wrote:
EndersShadow wrote:I am not as much of a "oldie" as some here when it comes to audio and havent had much of an opportunity to listen to different gear so far....

I was 16 when I first heard a 1/4 million dollar system.. I'm 28 now and still get excited like a little freakin girl when it comes to new audio gear.

I meant that more as I dont have as much of a background of knowing vintage brands/gear mostly due to just starting to get really into audio about 2 years ago (and age does play a small role as well). My first purchases were a pair of Polk Monitor 60's, CS2, Monitor 40's and an Integra DTR 5.9.

Now I have NooshinJohn's old LSi 15's, an LSiC and Infinity Primus surrounds driven by a Carver 5 channel connected to the Integra.

So I do much more reading on this site (since Carvers been out of business for a bit and I dont know much about repair, fixes, ect) than I do posting :D. That 50 post min to be able to buy/sell in the other forums going to take a bit of time
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Using your money, would order in a new system to check out often and then donate it to charity. =D>

Using my money, I am like some above who have assembled some things that play well together.

My budget of course prefers used equipment, and I have more than one music station.

My outdoor system is good. I am hard pressed to find any way to improve it due to the small environment it must live in.

My analog/bar system has been improving this year.
After another year of search, still have not settled on the best toslink DAC yet. The search is fun when you consider the Sony CD player I need it for is worth maybe $200. That SONY is a keeper and NOT for sale. :-"
I like this sub and would like to add it. That is funny as I have no need of it there, but I guess wanting is part of the fun !!!
SuperCubeTrinity_slider.jpg
SuperCubeTrinity_slider.jpg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 760 times

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/products.aspx?path=Subwoofers&productid=SuperCube%20Trinity
Just owning something like that would make my dreams better -- :lol:

At my TV I am OK and also have some very good portable junk. One is a homemade boombox with a car amp that is good for tailgate parties.

My truck system is not as good since I took out the DIY junk I had there. To be honest, just play talk radio there these days. :lol:

S0........... like most, my dream systems continue to evolve.
Having it all might be less fun ---
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:16 pm

BillD wrote:You probably need this, James.

WTF ---

I need at least a couple of those -- :lol:
<<

1044InProgress

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:19 pm

I agree OO, havin it all, might not be as fun.

As for the Trinity Sub, I just read about it on the link you provided.. 2000 self powered watts and drops to 10hz.. Good LAW! That's a thumper!!!
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:44 pm

1044InProgress wrote:I agree OO, havin it all, might not be as fun.

As for the Trinity Sub, I just read about it on the link you provided.. 2000 self powered watts and drops to 10hz.. Good LAW! That's a thumper!!!

Yeah, and I already have their top of the line speakers. They might be my best ever audio purchase other than when I discovered MiniDisc - :lol:

The problem is that the mains have it all covered, but still, that would be cool in my RedNeck bar. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)