FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:09 am

Does something seem wrong here?

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Does something seem wrong here?

F1nut - adding a 1.5 ohm resistor seems to me to be a SERIOUS mod. If we're talking speakers which drop to as low as 3 ohms or so, that's a major drop in db's, relative to what we'd expect for a typical design without the resistor, at the same gain settings.

You'll have to take that up with Bob Carver.

Also, What about the damping then? People are out there buying 4 ga. wire for their speaker runs to reduce the resistance, and improve amplifier damping control.

A lot of folks don't understand that the damping factor has no bearing as long it is above 10. The difference between a factor of 10 and 2000 is so minuet it is measured in tenths.

What shouldn't matter? Is that the question? Seems obvious enough - what shouldn't matter is where we have the volume position set on the preamp, whether it's 1/4 turn, or 1/2 turn is not important, as long as we are not asking for more voltage then the preamp can cleanly deliver. Position then is just psychological. We might think that,"hey this 300 watt amplifier isn't as powerful as my other 300 watt amplifier", just because we are turning the gain higher for the same volume.

The bottom line is where the amp starts to run out of gas. Otherwise known as clipping.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:41 pm

Planerguy wrote:I'll be out the rest of the day, but this 2 output taps on the Sunfire amps intrigues me, and it would be nice to know what's going on there! Will definitely check this topic tomorrow. Thanks to whomever explains this in simple enough terms for a dummy like me!
In layman's term's, one is a voltage source and the other is a current source. Bob put a resistor between the voltage source output and the current source output do reduce the damping of the amplifier. The current source sounds more like a tube amplifier and the voltage source sounds more like that of an SS amplifier.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:31 pm

"The bottom line is where the amp starts to run out of gas. Otherwise known as clipping."

Exactly. That was MY point. Relative position of the volume knob, within reason, doesn't matter.
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:34 pm

"richP is a lying POS"

Who is richP???
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:38 pm

treitz3 wrote:
Planerguy wrote:I'll be out the rest of the day, but this 2 output taps on the Sunfire amps intrigues me, and it would be nice to know what's going on there! Will definitely check this topic tomorrow. Thanks to whomever explains this in simple enough terms for a dummy like me!
In layman's term's, one is a voltage source and the other is a current source. Bob put a resistor between the voltage source output and the current source output do reduce the damping of the amplifier. The current source sounds more like a tube amplifier and the voltage source sounds more like that of an SS amplifier.

Bob recommends running the voltage to the the low end and the current to the high end, (but adds one should experiment to find what they prefer)

I have my CRS-3 hooked up like that and it all sounds very good. To turn it loud enough for possible clipping, I would need a remote so I could stand way out of the firing line. :D
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Planerguy wrote:"richP is a lying POS"

Who is richP???

Apparently he was the last guy here brave enough to call Jessie out. :lol: :lol:

He does have a lot of fans here, but like Jessie, I am not one.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:44 pm

Off the subject at hand...

Planerguy wrote:Who is richP???
The only member in the history of this forum to ever be banned from it.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Also the designer of the Mk.II M-1.0t and M-500(t), and the owner of http://www.thecarversite.com
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:59 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:

Who is richP???

He does have a lot of fans here.

See, they are starting to come out to defend him now -- :-"
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:24 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:
OconeeOrange wrote:

Who is richP???

He does have a lot of fans here.

See, they are starting to come out to defend him now -- :-"

That's not defending; that's simply stating a fact.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:53 pm

TNRabbit wrote:
That's not defending; that's simply stating a fact.

...and there is #2 :lol: :lol:

I was not around back then, but to the guys who were, it is still a hot button.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:08 am

Planerguy wrote:Who is richP???

No one you'd want to know unless you like the company of a liar and thief.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Sorry i asked! Didn't mean to stir up old controversy's, just thought it was someone who posted a Carver item here, and never sent it, etc.

I've run into guys like THAT on other sites.

Let's just move on; nothing to see here.
<<

luluxiu

Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:28 am

I agree here with the rabbit, you compare .... a 300-watt amplification level? It drives more than 20 years to ease my Apogee's no problem. I believe it will be any 300-watt SS amp on its own in the same class.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:23 am

Welcome
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Audio)