FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:47 am

Need low-budget power amp for AL-III Plus's

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:29 pm

The dial on the back of the M-500 is to adjust the light in the front of the meters. That has nothing to do with the volume. As for the speaker control unit, it is speaker line level and not line level so I'm unsure right now as to what you would need the primary receiver set at. Maybe someone will chime in and let us know. If not, I can contact Niles on Monday and find out.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Re: Need low-budget power amp for AL-III Plus's

<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:49 pm

as an owner of al3's, you need more power....
tfm 45 would drive them okay.
but the sunfire stuff is very nice also....
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:15 pm

There is a 45 over there, but as I recall it is over 800.
<<

kirstenj

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:23 pm

I think the way to go at this point, is to split my systems. Buy a 2nd receiver (w/pre-out, optical in, and Internet radio, and dlna), AS WELL as buying an amplifier. Then I'm not dealing with the zone 2 limitations, which from my research looks like I'll be dealing with to varying degrees across other vendor's equipment as well. oconneeOrange is right. Even the M-500 is going to be a significant improvement over the Pioneer VSX-509S 100w/ch I've been using. I'll either bid on the M-500 now, or keep my eyes peeled for one of the other amps suggested later when I have more funds. This has been a lot of fun, and I've learned a lot from this thread and my subsequent Googling.

@oconeeOrange - thank you much! Really nice of you to have found these units for me. At this point, I think this might be comparable pricing, since the first seller paid for shipping etc. Won't know until bidding ends.

@treitz3 - Thank you, but I want to be able to control everything remotely.

@all - thank you for all the great suggestions. If there are more, or more discussion, then great, but I wanted to thank everyone. It's MUCH appreciated!
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:27 pm

kirstenj wrote:....Anyway... bi-amping would mean TWO amplifiers, so that sounds more expensive for now, unless I found a super deal on both amps.

If you used the AV-705 I posted about, you could bi-amp with that one amp as it's a 5 channel (you'd have one channel unused). It's a possible option that is under $500. Not the optimum, but an option.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:29 pm

TNRabbit wrote:
kirstenj wrote:....Anyway... bi-amping would mean TWO amplifiers, so that sounds more expensive for now, unless I found a super deal on both amps.

If you used the AV-705 I posted about, you could bi-amp with that one amp as it's a 5 channel (you'd have one channel unused). It's a possible option that is under $500. Not the optimum, but an option.

Yup, I have seen those particular amps sell for ~300ish redone from Pittsburg hi-fi.

I got mine for 250.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:59 pm

You might not be familiar with AudiogoN as opposed to ebay.
AudiogoN is excellent. Guys there are always upgrading their stuff and selling the old. You just have to check it often as the good stuff goes quick.

The ebay seller has much less rep than the AudiogoN seller, plus the A guy has the more desirable (for me) "t' version.

I think trying to run your stereo system and video system with the same junk is OK, but not optimum if they are not the same system in the same room.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:43 pm

kirstenj wrote:Going over budget, yes, that could happen ;-) This all started with a failed external drive with my music on it. I was able to recover most of it off of some backup disks, but it prompted me to put in a more robust solution. Bought a Synology DS211J NAS, configured with Raid 1 for a new storage (and server) solution, and an external backup drive for offsite storage. A new CISCO Linksys E4200 router, LG LW5600 3D TV, the Def Tech ProCinema 600 hts speakers, the Yamaha RX-A810 receiver, LG BD-670 Bluray player, and an MX450 universal remote and MRF260 IR/RF converter station, also followed, since NOW, we could serve up our home videos and photos on a tv, and our old tv was an 11 year old projection TV that was pretty fuzzy. We were already streaming music to an Apple Airport Express connected to the receiver. We have a company coming to run speaker wire and cat5e cable in a couple of weeks, as the wireless was still dropping out.

I have tried wireless things. They are OK, but wired is still better. Running cat5 is easy. Anyone who can use an extension cord can do it as that is all there is to it. You can run it in the atic, crawl space, or just hidden around the side of your house with a little mulch. Many wireless routers can handle wire as well as wireless. You can buy bulk at Staples or even Lowes and Home Depot. No need to pay someone for that.

I have 4 PCs around my house and I can pull up video or audio from any of them and it plays quite well, and I am a geezer. In the old days, home networking was a pain, but with Windows 7, no problem. It works really well for movies on my Samsung LED TVs. No dedicated storage or server is needed.

Wireless is good for moving around with your laptop or if you are too lazy to string cat5 which like I said, is cheap and easy. Still, it is easy and cheap to have both.

Of course you need to have a separate system (audio or video) at the end of each run.
Once you get OCCD, the problem becomes too many systems, not enough rooms.

As a fun thought, remember the old geek motto: "You don't have to back up everything, just the things you want to keep". ](*,) ](*,)
<<

kirstenj

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:40 pm

oconeeOrange I'd come to the conclusion too, that the Audiogon piece was where I'd go if I get the M-500, because of the t model and it appears to be cleaner. With the shpg et al it would be $364. Regarding running wire, the cat5 under the house is easy enough, but we're wiring 2 rooms with the cat5 and speaker wire. The theater room gets speaker wire fed up the walls for the hts speakers, we want actual outlets for the living room, vs punching a hole through the hardwood, and the theater room doesn't have attic crawl space. I used to just lay the speaker wire down, but now we have a 9 month old who's into everything. We also need an electrical outlet for the tv for where it's going on the wall. These are things we're not proficient with. We could learn, but my husband works long hours and is in school, and out baby is very active, so time is limited. I previously streamed music off my laptop using iTunes, but I don't want to have to have that running all the time I want to play music and there's not much space on it. The NAS is much nicer as it DOES simplify things IMO, and has 2TB of disk space. I've 20 years in tech, so I'm comfortable in this arena. Snaking wire up a wall, not so much.
<<

kirstenj

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:45 pm

The AV-705X is rated 125w/ch x 5 and 200w/ch x2. If I bi-amped it, would I get 250w/ch, or 400?
<<

kirstenj

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Oh, another question. Maybe I was too quick to decide on another receiver, as that's invariable going to be more expense. How do you connect the volume (line) control up? What's it attached to? The amp? The speakers? Other?
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:58 pm

kirstenj wrote:The AV-705X is rated 125w/ch x 5 and 200w/ch x2. If I bi-amped it, would I get 250w/ch, or 400?

Think of it like 5 separate mono amps, each with 125 watts. They are all just in the same enclosure. It is actually more than that as Bob built in ways to steer the power where it is needed. =D>

Basically, bi-amped, you would get 250 per speaker.
I have no experience with the big Carver speakers, so can't comment more than to say all these options are much more than you have apparently been happy with in the past. I don't see a downside.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:25 pm

125 is into 8 ohms, correct? The AL-IIIs are 4 ohms, so I'm sure it would be higher.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kirstenj

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:16 am

So, maybe 375w/ch? I read that driving a 4 ohm speaker would provide 1.5x the power. Double that by bi-amping and I get 375. It seemed to me from the posts that there was more interest in the AV-705 over the M-500, even though it has 375? vs 450 w/ch. Is it because of the sound, or another measurement?
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)