FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Need low-budget power amp for AL-III Plus's

<<

ekog

TFM-6cb

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:41 am

Re: Need low-budget power amp for AL-III Plus's

speakerlabfan wrote:I have M500 and M500t amps and I'm in the same town. I might be willing to lend the amps if you would like to see how they do with the AL-IIIs. Based on my experience with Amazings, they will drive the speakers but you're gonna want more amp. Might be worth evaluating with your sources, though.

Are we talking 1 M500t for both channel's or 1 M500t for each channel? I mean if you’re saying 1 M500t is a little lacking would 1 M500t for each channel resolve the issue?
Main System Setup:
Pre: Carver C2 | Amp: Carver M-500t|Equilizer: Sansui SE99|Speakers: Polk SDA2’s
Source: Tuner: Carver TX-2| Phono: Technics SL-1210 MkII with a Ortofon VMS 20E Mk II| DirecTV DVR | Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc player | Samsung DVD/VHS player

Second System Setup:
Receiver: Yamaha RXV867| Fronts: Klipsch F-30's |Sub: Klipsch SW-112
Source: Radio |Internet/Network | Sony CDP-70 CD player
<<

speakerlabfan

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:29 am

ekog wrote:
speakerlabfan wrote:I have M500 and M500t amps and I'm in the same town. I might be willing to lend the amps if you would like to see how they do with the AL-IIIs. Based on my experience with Amazings, they will drive the speakers but you're gonna want more amp. Might be worth evaluating with your sources, though.

Are we talking 1 M500t for both channel's or 1 M500t for each channel? I mean if you’re saying 1 M500t is a little lacking would 1 M500t for each channel resolve the issue?

I have 1 each of the M500t and the plain (but re-capped) M500 amps. I have not run them in bridged mono - didn't want to use them together, since they are different amps. I have not heard them with AL-III's. If the AL-IIIs are as power-hungry as the Amazings (I have Originals and Silvers), I suspect that even bridged the M500 amp wouldn't deliver all the juice that those speakers can use. I tried driving Carver Amazing Originals with the M500t amp (250 WPC) and as you'd expect it was bursting at the seams to drive the speakers at moderate levels. I use a Crown CTs-2000 amp (1000 WPC) with the Originals.
Phase Linear Andromedas, 2000 II Pre, 5100 II Tuner
Carver Amazings - original and silver, M500t,C-1, C-4000, PM 1.5, M200t
Manley Stingray; Cambridge Audio DacMagic, 640p; Pro-ject Tube Box SE II
McIntosh MC2205, C28
JBL 4430, 4425, 4311B
Rega P5, Benz Micro Wood, Cary/AES AE-3 Preamp
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:43 am

speakerlabfan wrote:
ekog wrote:

I have 1 each of the M500t and the plain (but re-capped) M500 amps. I have not run them in bridged mono - didn't want to use them together, since they are different amps. I have not heard them with AL-III's. If the AL-IIIs are as power-hungry as the Amazings (I have Originals and Silvers), I suspect that even bridged the M500 amp wouldn't deliver all the juice that those speakers can use. I tried driving Carver Amazing Originals with the M500t amp (250 WPC) and as you'd expect it was bursting at the seams to drive the speakers at moderate levels. I use a Crown CTs-2000 amp (1000 WPC) with the Originals.

Since the OP has decided what she's doing, I'll not beleaguer the point.

However, I agree with SLF. If you were to bi-amp with the M500 on the woofers & the M500t on the ribbons, that might work~

The AL-IIIs are probably between the Plats & Originals as to efficiency. The Originals are STUPID difficult to drive (seriously), while the Plats & Silvers are a much easier load & slightly more efficient.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kirstenj

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:08 pm

I was looking through the "It's too loud" forum and my agenda is maybe a bit different than some others. While I like loud music, I am going to protect what hearing I have left, need to protect the babies hearing as she goes through speak development phase, and am respectful of my neighbors right to live in peace. What I'm after is enough juice that the AL-III's sound great at nominal (sometimes louder) levels. I do like to play them loud enough to hear through the entire 1500 sq ft rambler we live in. Currently they are missing the "brightness". Note that I don't care for too bright a sound, as I found out with my car's set of Focals, but the Carvers right now are flat when compared to the newly acquired hts speakers. However, the Carver's still sound much fuller, as in a "the room has sound" kind of way, not where you hear the music coming from a spot like you do with the hts speakers. So... am I overshooting the power thing with a Sunfire 300 for my needs? i.e. Interested in quality (and a little loud) sound.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:15 pm

It's about more than "loudness".

I don't think anyone who has tried a Sunfire amp will doubt that's the best bang for the buck & sound good doing it.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:30 pm

Another plus for Sunfire is that you will not have to "upgrade" in the future.

Sunfire will drive any speakers you may come up with. They are really amazing amps...no pun intended.
<<

kingman

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:31 pm

Interested in quality (and a little loud) sound.
...Get Angelo's Sunfire 300x2 and be done with it. It IS the amp you are looking for...trust me. O:)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

kirstenj

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Tnx 'Rabbit' and Frankie. I agree too that buying want you really want and getting quality is often less expensive in the long run.
<<

kirstenj

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:06 pm

I'm known to be just a little over-analytical at times Kingman. Just waiting for Angelo to reply to my email now.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:19 pm

Was curious as to why this thread ran to five pages so fast.....but after reading the 1st page I found out why :lol: :lol:
".....female and being an aquarian...."

Calm down guys; she can only buy ONE amp from one of you.... :lol:

But an interesting thread none the less. I'd have to agree that a 300x2 Sunfire is what you'd be most happy with, kirstenj. Being a "load invariant" amp they tend to handle the 4 ohm load a bit better than say the Carver TFM-45. But if you DO go with a TFM-45/42 make SURE that it's had the "damping adjustment drift" service bulletin fix done...my 2 cents worth. Good luck! With more power to these speaks you will only be more happy/thrilled. Very much worth it and you'll never regret it!
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:34 pm

ok. have to pull it out for full access photo's. the case has had an issue somewere in it's life but the previous owner had it fixed to where you have to look for it. otherwise, not an electronic issue to be had. has the glass plate as well.it double boxed and insured just as they have been shipped to me. light works as it should as well. many photo's to come to you as soon as i have some more time..
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

kingman

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:05 pm

kirstenj wrote:I'm known to be just a little over-analytical at times Kingman. Just waiting for Angelo to reply to my email now.

No worries...we are ALL careful with our $$$$.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:58 pm

ok photo's taken. why put it off i say.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:02 pm

ok, another huge bang for the buck is when you service the al3 x-over with these. six will be needed as well as some hot glue extra strength if i remember right. major upgrade i tell you. i was blown away after the install. it's like pelling off these layers of stuff that just keeps making these speakers more awesome than before.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... 5uf%20caps
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:08 pm

kirstenj- if it helps any.....I have used a Sunfire 300 x 2 to drive my Apogees for 20 yrs without even thinking about "upgrading".
The amp is competitive with amps costing 5 to 10 times as much! :D Has NEVER even ran hot and the load of an Apogee speaker can be quite taxing on many high powered amps!

Good luck on your decision and good listening!

Cheers~
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)