FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Sparky was reintroduced to vinyl today!!!

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Ya' got me!

OconeeOrange wrote:TOM -- you have been giving me advice on LPs. Now I read you were not even playing them? :-"

You even sold me on a steam cleaner. :lol:
I am an extremely patient man when it comes to audio. Probably the most patient man you will ever meet. I sold you on the steam cleaner because during the months that I did have the vinyl rig up and running in Sparky, I used it and knew about the fantastic results firsthand. Me not actually using it at that point didn't change the fact that it works great, as I'm sure you can attest too.

There are, in fact, many things I chat about that aren't currently incorporated into my system. Upgraded crossovers and sub woofer management systems are the two major things I am intimately familiar with and I have had in the rig or experience with firsthand on other rigs that I have had the chance to make observations of. In time. Like I said, I'm a patient man and I know that good things come to those who wait.

You'll find out more about why these plans are on hold and what my ultimate plans are for Sparky at the 'fest.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Ya' got me!

treitz3 wrote:
OconeeOrange wrote:TOM -- you have been giving me advice on LPs. Now I read you were not even playing them? :-"

You even sold me on a steam cleaner. :lol:
I am an extremely patient man when it comes to audio. Probably the most patient man you will ever meet. I sold you on the steam cleaner because during the months that I did have the vinyl rig up and running in Sparky, I used it and knew about the fantastic results firsthand. Me not actually using it at that point didn't change the fact that it works great, as I'm sure you can attest too.

There are, in fact, many things I chat about that aren't currently incorporated into my system. Upgraded crossovers and sub woofer management systems are the two major things I am intimately familiar with and I have had in the rig or experience with firsthand on other rigs that I have had the chance to make observations of. In time. Like I said, I'm a patient man and I know that good things come to those who wait.

You'll find out more about why these plans are on hold and what my ultimate plans are for Sparky at the 'fest.

I know, and I respect your opinions. That is why I bought a record cleaner and even the steam cleaner.
I now agree, anyone who does not have a record cleaner is not enjoying vinyl.
I disagree as to the record clamp, but that is another post.

As to the phono stage, that is now a fun search I am enjoying. =D>
I actually also have a a Carver Ct-6 and Ct- 17 with phono amps ( I think the 17 has one), so it it ain't like I can't play records that sound OK.

Like you, just on a lower $$ level, like to improve if an opportunity presents itself.

The best buy for me might be the used Regas that pop up from time to time, but for no reason I can explain, want a tube one.

I would also eventually like to hook my TT into a system driven just by the mono blocks I will be building at CarverFest. What speakers that entails are still a mystery to me.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Re: Sparky was reintroduced to vinyl today!!!

The phono section (with about $20 in parts) of a C-1 is probably as good as you'll find in a Carver amp. In fact, the C-19 phono section is almost identical to the C-1 with the exception of a tube (zero gain) in the feedback section of the op-amp that implements the RIAA equalization. TO improve a C-1 you need to improve the op-amp (as well as in the C-19) and substitute a couple of caps and some 1% resistors.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:35 pm

BillD wrote:The phono section (with about $20 in parts) of a C-1 is probably as good as you'll find in a Carver amp. In fact, the C-19 phono section is almost identical to the C-1 with the exception of a tube (zero gain) in the feedback section of the op-amp that implements the RIAA equalization. TO improve a C-1 you need to improve the op-amp (as well as in the C-19) and substitute a couple of caps and some 1% resistors.

I know most are way over priced, so that is why I included my desire for one that looks cool. Glowing or even throbbing tubes would be great !!!
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:12 pm

I know its all about the sound but eye candy doesn't hurt!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:16 pm

OO- doesn't your new Sunfire tube-pre have a phono stage?
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Snoop65 wrote:I know its all about the sound but eye candy doesn't hurt!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

I moved all my gear into the HT this weekend to make the wife happy. I tuned in my speakers and the Mrs decided she did not like them in the middle of the room. They wound up being 6'2" from the back wall. A full days work moving the stuff and retuning....believe it or not -it is actually MORE entertaining not looking at the gear and It is easier to "visualize" the artists!

I have a little room behind the projection screen with A/C and 2 x 20 amp dedicated circuits- so why not use it... :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:35 pm

Chauss wrote:
Snoop65 wrote:I know its all about the sound but eye candy doesn't hurt!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

I moved all my gear into the HT this weekend to make the wife happy. I tuned in my speakers and the Mrs decided she did not like them in the middle of the room. They wound up being 6'2" from the back wall. A full days work moving the stuff and retuning....believe it or not -it is actually MORE entertaining not looking at the gear and It is easier to "visualize" the artists!

I have a little room behind the projection screen with A/C and 2 x 20 amp dedicated circuits- so why not use it... :D

Like the other night Charles Mingus told me not to order a drink until his set was over. Imaging can be a bitch! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:28 pm

Snoop65 wrote:
Like the other night Charles Mingus told me not to order a drink until his set was over. Imaging can be a bitch! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is funny. It is hard to believe, but sometimes even out here on my deck, it is all so real I am often fooled by the sounds.

Still, "great" tunes can be enjoyed in places where the imaging may be a little off or none existent.
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:
Snoop65 wrote:

That is funny. It is hard to believe, but sometimes even out here on my deck, it is all so real I am often fooled by the sounds.

Still, "great" tunes can be enjoyed in places where the imaging may be a little off or none existent.

Amen!
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:33 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:
Snoop65 wrote:

Define "enjoyed" (I think each person will have their own criteria here)....I like it "live" :D Otherwise it is just "background music" for me. 8)
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:44 pm

Chauss wrote:.
Define "enjoyed" (I think each person will have their own criteria here)....I like it "live" :D Otherwise it is just "background music" for me. 8)

You know, sometimes even in an elevator, a song gets you toe tapping and can stay with you for hours. :lol:

I guess it don't work that way for you guys who claim to be the audiophiles on this forum. :(
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:03 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:

You know, sometimes even in an elevator, a song gets you toe tapping and can stay with you for hours. :lol:

I guess it don't work that way for you guys who claim to be the audiophiles on this forum. :(

OO - I never "claimed" to be anything? All I did was merely describe what is enjoyable to me for "listening" to music. This hobby is many different things for many different people. The beauty of it is no one "thing" has ever been defined as the only thing! Of course I can tap my toes to background music and have done so an many an occasion. <-- Is that "enjoyable"- YES, but it is not the same as when I sit down to "listen" to my system and EXPECT to be entertained. To me listening to music and hearing music are 2 completely different activities. Make sense?
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:07 pm

WOW !!!! :-# :-# :-# :-#
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:23 pm

Chauss wrote:
OconeeOrange wrote:

OO - I never "claimed" to be anything? All I did was merely describe what is enjoyable to me for "listening" to music. This hobby is many different things for many different people. The beauty of it is no one "thing" has ever been defined as the only thing! Of course I can tap my toes to background music and have done so an many an occasion. <-- Is that "enjoyable"- YES, but it is not the same as when I sit down to "listen" to my system and EXPECT to be entertained. To me listening to music and hearing music are 2 completely different activities. Make sense?

Well said Chauss, it's not often somebody can leave my buddy OO speechless!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)