FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:31 am

Good Lord, you say cables don't make a difference?

<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Good Lord, you say cables don't make a difference?

mono price... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:04 am

ok, i have to ask this as mike is so upset that it seems to me that regardless of the outcome with tom, i have a feeling tha mike will not make it to future carverfests if this keeps up..truly sad. regardless of who is right or wrong as i got the impression that they really liked each other as tom spoke highly of mike when mike and i meet in 2010. what the hell happened is beyond me and i agree, let the soap opera continue in the fight club if it must. maybe james can move these posts there on a seperate thread, because in the end, if they did not give a shit for each other from the start, this would not be anywhere near the blown out of proportion that it has gotten to. a real shame, as both guys are very knowedgeable on the subject of cables, and i would have sworn that mike was telling me about a guy that has more degrees than a thermometer in what i would call cable audio science as i forget at the moment what the guys job was, but it had to do with high end cables. with that also said, i could have sworn that mike was on the same page as tom as it refered to high end cables. but obviously i am wrong on that. maybe it was tom that had that audio friend in high places in the cable world. so in the end i agree with nikki, lets make some cake and eat up.... :(
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:46 pm

OK, I have read this entire thread and learned alot. I wont dare tell anybody what kind of speaker cable Im running right now. :-" :-"

So I have a question. I moved my cables from the "fixed" to "variable" position on the back of my 490t CDP and noticed a big difference in sound.

Is this possible or am I hearing things??
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

rah

M-400t CUBE

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:55 pm

[quote="MRHP"]So I have a question. I moved my cables from the "fixed" to "variable" position on the back of my 490t CDP and noticed a big difference in sound.

Is this possible or am I hearing things??[/quote

When I had my 490t, I had it through the variable first (to use the 490t's remote as a volume control) until I found a remote for my TGP1, then I moved it to fixed, and don't recall any change.

I just tested the same with my 390t and don't hear a difference.
My office (and only) system:
Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (thanks jjptkd!)
Sunfire Theater Grand Processor (with original remote!)
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony CA70ES 5-disc changer
Sony SACD 5-disc changer
<<

rah

M-400t CUBE

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:59 pm

MRHP wrote:OK, I have read this entire thread and learned alot. I wont dare tell anybody what kind of speaker cable Im running right now. :-" :-"

So I have a question. I moved my cables from the "fixed" to "variable" position on the back of my 490t CDP and noticed a big difference in sound.

Is it a quality difference, a volume difference, or both?

Make sure you have the volume with the variable output at max, so in theory there should be no volume difference between the fixed and variable outputs when listening to both.
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony SACD 5-disc changer
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:10 pm

Is it a quality difference, a volume difference, or both?
...only volume as the variable lets you adjust the output via the knob on the front. Both positions run through the tubes. The optical input bypasses the tube section.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:20 pm

I thought one of them (fixed or variable) bypassed the tube section....?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

rah

M-400t CUBE

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:30 pm

TNRabbit wrote:I thought one of them (fixed or variable) bypassed the tube section....?

I think using the digital out bypasses the tube section, but should not bypass it if using the RCA out regardless if you're using the fixed or variable out.

No volume level control if using the digital out.
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony SACD 5-disc changer
<<

kingman

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:16 pm

TNRabbit wrote:I thought one of them (fixed or variable) bypassed the tube section....?

Nope...
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:08 am

MRHP wrote:OK, I have read this entire thread and learned alot. I wont dare tell anybody what kind of speaker cable Im running right now. :-" :-"

very possible as the volume knob adds another set of op amps after the potentiometer knob. though it should not be a night and day difference. suttle at best. otherwise, there is an issue.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:51 pm

It was a quality difference that I heard. I know swaping preamps can make a difference in sound. Just thinking about using the CDP as a preamp even though it runs thru a CT-6 preamp.

After listening again its not as much difference as I first thought.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:28 am

tinpan wrote:OK, let's see.... How ya'll like my cables?

Nothing wrong with them at all. Have you by chance ever tried other types of cables in your various rigs?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:49 am

Been reading this thread since Tom first started it. As a some of you know I got laid off, and I've been making speaker cables and interconnect cables for awhile now. What amazes me is how just the least little change in a cable make up can make a difference in what I hear. YES, Cables DO make a difference. I equate the differences to one of my favorite things, food. Just as a hamburger, fries and drink from McD's can fill you up, using Lowes zip cord cable with run of the mill gold plated brass banana connectors, can get the job done. But, to me grilling up some wonderful fillets, with baked potatoes, a great Cabernet to go with it, and enjoying that dinner with good friends, is so much better. The same holds true with the audio system. Change from one component to another, and BAM! the sound changes, for better or worse. The difference between listening to a CD on my Sony 300 cd changer, and listening to that same CD on the OPPO BDP 83SE, to me anyway, is like the difference between night and day. The same holds true with your cables. The whole idea is to get a signal from it's source to it's destination, and do so without changing anything. Ain't gonna happen! Anything placed between the source and what you are connecting it to changes things. The make up of cables can change the sound you hear from your system, just as spices change the way food tastes. Take those zip cord cables. Yeah, they got the job done, but make those cables with good quality copper wire, with silver plated copper connectors, and to my ears, cleans up the sound, making the bass more full and tight, plus giving the higher frequencies a little more clarity. Lifts that veil everyone talks about! There are so many kinds of wire, everything from plain old copper zip cord, all the way up to silver. Then there is the size of the wire, the resistance, capacitance, inductance, and so many ways wire is made, from solid, to high strand count, and the exotics made from individual multi size wires. Then there are the connectors. Pot metal, brass, copper, gold plating, silver plating, rhodium plating, and each one is like a different spice. There are so many different combinations that can make the least little difference in what you hear. And each system is different. What sounds good on my system might not sound as good on yours! Tom has been auditioning many different cables over the years, and has found some good and some not so good in his systems. IMHO, that's part of the fun, trying new cables to see what works best in your system. Also, to me anyway, making the cables is at least half the fun! Take a look at http://www.douglasconnection.com if you are interested in doing a DIY cable project, or custom made cables. Having a 15% off sale through the end of Feb. plus an additional 5% off for CarverAudio.com folks. PM me for the coupon code for that extra 5% off. YES CABLES DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:28 am

Nothing wrong with them at all. Have you by chance ever tried other types of cables in your various rigs?

Heh heh heh...just checking to see if you were awake :lol:

I have tried a few, I have a couple pairs of Anti-Cables, 2.5 sets of Carver Audio cables, a pair of Kimber and some home made Belden wire. So far I am liking the Belden cables.

I am going to order some from Doug in a couple weeks. So far my focus has been on getting the components I need for various places, house, garage, etc.

Once I get the system and speaker combos I like I have going to probably try a few different cables to see what I like. This part will take a long time because I like to listen for a while before i decide if somethings right. No real science to it, it will either click or it won't.

As I start finalizing systems and deciding on the cable, I'll order specific lengths to try to reduce the cable clutter.

Then will be onto tube rolling, I pretty much have stock tubes in all my systems, except for the Kit 1, I put some Black Treasures in that. Although that strategy isn't working, I've already had to order 16 Mullards for the Carverfest amps and I ordered some JAN-Philips 6922 Low Noise to try in one of my DACs. It also looks like I need a pair of 12AX7's sooner than later to replace the tubes in my L2 preamp to remedy the slight tube noise I am hearing.
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - empty, Klipschorns

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec A4's
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:04 am

Vey nice site Doug--how do you like the Vampire power cable?
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)