FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:45 pm

Optical cable in SD/A-360

<<

FredRydr

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:34 pm

Optical cable in SD/A-360

I am using the optical OUT jack for the first time since I bought my Carver SD/A-360 CD unit new. My modern optical cable fits into my new amp without a hitch, but doesn't seem to fit in the Carver. Is there a particular type of optical cable required for this unit, or for equipment from that era?

Thanks!

Fred
Last edited by FredRydr on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: Optical cable in TX-8 Tuner

I believe they are standardized acrossed the industry Fred. Are you sure you had it turned the right way ? Is there a protection cap you forgot to remove ?
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:01 pm

It should be a standard Toslink.
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:31 pm

I'm betting on the protection cover (little condom covering the optical part).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:38 pm

I'm sorry but I have more faith in Fred than that. He's been around the block a time or two. I just can't imagine that the protective cover would impede him from hooking this up. Just doesn't make sense. :-s

I mean, as far as I know, they are all standardized but I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. New member or not. Somethings going on with the connection [I hope].

Fred?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

FredRydr

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:44 pm

LOL!!! It IS the condoms. Well, well, well. I still learned something new, after owning the thing for twenty years. No no, I meant the Carver! I've had the other thing for longer than that.

All is well, and the optical cables fit like a charm in the ol' Carver and the new Peachtree. I'll post a photo in the forum for systems.

Fred
<<

sisu1a

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:26 am

Re: Optical cable in SD/A-360

Optical cables do come in 2 flavors, regular or mini. The mini size is nearly the same size as 1/8" stereo jacks, and most Mac computers come with a combo 1/8"/mini-optical, which for some reason Mac owners don't know exists, but I digress. I have a few cables that have the the standard plug on one end and a mini on the other, and there are also conversion plugs to use them with each other. I see it's not relevant to the issue at hand, but there are 2 types FWIW...

But yeah, lenscaps!

-Paul
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:20 pm

FredRydr wrote:LOL!!! It IS the condoms. Well, well, well. I still learned something new, after owning the thing for twenty years. No no, I meant the Carver! I've had the other thing for longer than that.

All is well, and the optical cables fit like a charm in the ol' Carver and the new Peachtree. I'll post a photo in the forum for systems.

Fred

Another mystery solved ! I hate condoms. :D

Return to Carver Home (Audio)