Optical cable in SD/A-360

Carver Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
FredRydr

Optical cable in SD/A-360

Post by FredRydr » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:34 pm

I am using the optical OUT jack for the first time since I bought my Carver SD/A-360 CD unit new. My modern optical cable fits into my new amp without a hitch, but doesn't seem to fit in the Carver. Is there a particular type of optical cable required for this unit, or for equipment from that era?

Thanks!

Fred
Last edited by FredRydr on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Re: Optical cable in TX-8 Tuner

Post by Mr. M-500t » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:01 pm

I believe they are standardized acrossed the industry Fred. Are you sure you had it turned the right way ? Is there a protection cap you forgot to remove ?

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:01 pm

It should be a standard Toslink.
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:31 pm

I'm betting on the protection cover (little condom covering the optical part).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:38 pm

I'm sorry but I have more faith in Fred than that. He's been around the block a time or two. I just can't imagine that the protective cover would impede him from hooking this up. Just doesn't make sense. :-s

I mean, as far as I know, they are all standardized but I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. New member or not. Somethings going on with the connection .

Fred?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

FredRydr

Post by FredRydr » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:44 pm

LOL!!! It IS the condoms. Well, well, well. I still learned something new, after owning the thing for twenty years. No no, I meant the Carver! I've had the other thing for longer than that.

All is well, and the optical cables fit like a charm in the ol' Carver and the new Peachtree. I'll post a photo in the forum for systems.

Fred

sisu1a
Newbie 50+

Re: Optical cable in SD/A-360

Post by sisu1a » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:26 am

Optical cables do come in 2 flavors, regular or mini. The mini size is nearly the same size as 1/8" stereo jacks, and most Mac computers come with a combo 1/8"/mini-optical, which for some reason Mac owners don't know exists, but I digress. I have a few cables that have the the standard plug on one end and a mini on the other, and there are also conversion plugs to use them with each other. I see it's not relevant to the issue at hand, but there are 2 types FWIW...

But yeah, lenscaps!

-Paul

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by Mr. M-500t » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:20 pm

FredRydr wrote:LOL!!! It IS the condoms. Well, well, well. I still learned something new, after owning the thing for twenty years. No no, I meant the Carver! I've had the other thing for longer than that.

All is well, and the optical cables fit like a charm in the ol' Carver and the new Peachtree. I'll post a photo in the forum for systems.

Fred
Another mystery solved ! I hate condoms. :D

Return to “Carver Home (Audio)”