FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:58 am

Carver amplifiers

<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:52 pm

Carver amplifiers

I would like to eventually have a bridged amp configuration in my home system. I have a TFM-35X now but don't know if I should wait until one of these becomes avaliable or buy a couple of M1.0ts as these seem more readily available. I was hoping one of you veterans could help guide me in the right direction. I'd like to know what the differences are between these two as far as sound quality goes. Thanks
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:36 pm

IMHO, the m1.0t's are dogs. Wait until you find another TFM35X, look on eBay, they show up fairly often.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:24 am

Well, what da ya know.....here's one for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=39783

No affiliation

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:06 pm

The M1.0t was a Carver amp I was glad to part with. Capacitor discharge at shutdown was absolutely wicked. Brand new amp too. I've known guys that contacted Carver back in the day to get advice on how to mod and rectify the same problem I had. They got it and did it, as well as adding premium binding posts and input RCA's.
<<

Smitty

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:36 pm

Mono blocking Amplifiers

I have two TFM-35X mono blocked, defenitly wait until you get another one. I did mono block two 1.0t and had tremendous poping upon power up and power down. The 35 have been working flawlessly for 9 years now and don't have problems. I would recommend some kind of delayed time power enhancer i.e. ADCOM 500, they have delayed outlets strickly for amplifiers. =;
Smitty

"Analog still sounds more realistic than digital"
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:27 am

I use one of those Adcom power station things in my main rig. I think it is model ACE-515. I never used the M1.0t with the Adcom, but I wouldn't expect miracles. The two Carver power amps that are plugged into the Adcom now (M4.0t and TFM-42) did not have capacitor discharge problems to begin with.

Get your amps at the Travis BX Smitty? One of the spare Carvers I have is a TFM-35 that I picked up at McGuire BX about ten years ago for $125.
<<

mrchyzy

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:39 pm

Are you saying not to buy the m-1.0t??? I was going to buy that amp to put in my system but now I dont know. If this amp is not good could you give me some pros and cons about it. Also hou bout the m-1.5t? How is that amp?
Carver Rocks!!!
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:22 pm

That's what we're saying, don't buy the m1.0t.

<<

mrchyzy

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:00 pm

Why though.. I am kind of on a tight budget and the 1.0 is in my price range. I need some pros and cons.
Carver Rocks!!!
<<

mrchyzy

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:02 pm

My father used to have a carver av-634 amp, m-1.5t, and a adcom gtp-550 for preamp. That stuff really sounded good. I would rather have that stuff than a nice denon or some other reciever.
Carver Rocks!!!
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:42 pm

So, get a m1.5t. There's a good reason why the m1.0t's are so cheap, sub-par sound and who wants to hear popping everytime you turn the thing off.

<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:24 pm

Carver amps

Just wanted to thank you guys for the advice. I just bought another TFM-35X on ebay as a twin for my other one. Hope it turns out to be good. Boomer-X

Return to Carver Home (Audio)