FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:38 pm

A typical audiophile!!

<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:51 am

A typical audiophile!!

I ran into this on the net, alot of truth to it???? A typical Audiophile usually spent over 40 years to quest for best amplifier before he/she died.

The 1st 10 years: spent all the money and time on the solid-state amps;

The 2nd 10 years: discovered tube amps, and spent all the money and time on both tube and solid-state amps (and cables as well as speakers, etc.);

The 3rd 10 years: discovered tube SET amps, and spent all the money and time back and forth on the SS, tube PP and tube SET amps.

The last >10 years: finally stayed with a low power tube SET amp and took it with him/her to the Heaven.
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & CF Linestage, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 amazing speakers in natural oak & Douglas connection cables
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:20 am

Re: A typical audiophile!!

=D> =D> =D> =D>
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:59 am

frenchguy wrote:I ran into this on the net, alot of truth to it???? A typical Audiophile usually spent over 40 years to quest for best amplifier before he/she died.

The 1st 10 years: spent all the money and time on the solid-state amps;

The 2nd 10 years: discovered tube amps, and spent all the money and time on both tube and solid-state amps (and cables as well as speakers, etc.);

The 3rd 10 years: discovered tube SET amps, and spent all the money and time back and forth on the SS, tube PP and tube SET amps.

The last >10 years: finally stayed with a low power tube SET amp and took it with him/her to the Heaven.

Yeah that sounds about right. :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 am

Any chance that this is attributable to changes in our hearing
and temperament as we age -
and don't have a damned thing to do what is actually more accurate?

Apologies if that's already been covered.

Disclaimer: Just putting it out there for discussion, not advocating.
Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:50 am

Not to beat a dead horse, but personally I believe "audiophiles" that spend too much time fucking around with too many different types and brands of amps are missing the forest for the trees. Obsessing with amps/equipment misses the point to all of it: LISTENING to and ENJOYING music! At a certain level of quality/power of a system it's good enough (IF musical pleasure is your prime focus). If you're just looking to have the biggest/baddest/most expensive/most "perfect" "toys", then that becomes your prime focus and the music is secondary. Talking about it all too much (wires, amps, tubes, power sources, speakers, etc.): ditto!
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:00 am

elgrau wrote:Not to beat a dead horse, but personally I believe "audiophiles" that spend too much time fucking around with too many different types and brands of amps are missing the forest for the trees. Obsessing with amps/equipment misses the point to all of it: LISTENING to and ENJOYING music! At a certain level of quality/power of a system it's good enough (IF musical pleasure is your prime focus). If you're just looking to have the biggest/baddest/most expensive/most "perfect" "toys", then that becomes your prime focus and the music is secondary. Talking about it all too much (wires, amps, tubes, power sources, speakers, etc.): ditto!

Well said Ed !!!

I agree 100% with you & that scares the hell out of me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:33 am

elgrau wrote:Not to beat a dead horse, etc, etc.

I agree with your post, of course.

So, do you think the pattern that many seem to follow,
big SS gear followed by an interest in tubes as one ages
is attributable to the changes that occur in ones hearing?

I have certainly noticed more older guys liking tubes
and more younger gearheads liking the SS stuff.

Maybe it's what people liked when they were younger and couldn't afford it.

Any additional thoughts?
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:56 am

Perhaps, Martin. But I think it (SS vs tubes, etc.) to be more along the lines of to each his own, etc. Personally, I like extreme detail in my music (which of course if this detail has any/too much distortion in it, then yes, that can quickly "get on your nerves". Hence the need for good sources, good IC's, good speakers, etc.). I like the extreme contrast of detailed highs and "perfect bass". Hearing/nerves certainly could play a part in all this. Old = calm = "smoothed out music from tubes" could be a factor. Energy level as well..... But hearing and "nerves" and energy-level degradations due to aging can be addressed thru nutritional supplamentation (as I've posted here before: Nerve Complex, Max Stress B, etc. from u know where are all "system components" or "system matenance" along the lines of 'Deoxit for the brain' that I'd highly recommend!) and I believe this can do as much to improve your "system" as anything else....
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:34 pm

Cool response
Totally agree on the detail vs grating thing.
Forever toggling the 10k up boost/cut, trying to get that balance right.

elgrau wrote: "perfect bass"....

Sometimes I like it to kick my chest in,
never been a fan of the 'one note smear.'
Open Baffle seems a step in the right direction,
but the Db meter seems to think there's enough there,
even when I don't.
Maybe it's a Fletcher and Munson thing.

What is your take on bass?
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:30 pm

I dont think once you have hit the "Good enough" state, and then you change it up again and again, that makes you less of a music lover. I had a good enough car in the 80s along with other things such as television, furniture even a wife.... :D But I have changed all these and it doesnt mean that what I had wasnt good enough, it means that I could improve, so I did. I know what you mean about obsessing with "better this and better that" and I think youll find that with all hobbies. Think of model airplane guys....they usually start with something small and 20 yrs later they have a plane you could put a Cocker Spaniel in, they still love flying model planes, they just tweak and improve as they
gain more experience. There are always the guys that have what they started with, but that doesnt mean that the guy that moved on....not necessarily up...doesnt love "it" any less. Besides, all hobbies involve some kind of building or tweaking to make something you can call your own. Everyone has their own limits as to how far they go, that makes the experience their own.

You hit on the head with "bass". If I would of left what was good enough alone, I would still be listening to one note, boomy bass from my original sub. Never would of found OB bass and what it offers......it offers a lot. I never would of gone with the fad of open baffle mains as well, this just opens the door to a whole new world of clarity and detail....or bothered with a dedicated room for the system. I love music, play a bunch of different instruments, grew up in a musical family....both my grand fathers were musicians, one was a music teacher. Maybe another way to look at it is maybe some people....especially the ones who know the tones of real instruments in the same room they listen to gear in....are striving for that, and good enough wont do.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:13 pm

Spot on PDR!!! =D> =D> =D> I think most of us "audiophools" are striving for that "live" sound!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:25 pm

Agree, agree with everything responded. I was mainly trying to draw the distinction between "system collectors" and "system listeners" along the lines that some car collectors (e.g.) prefer "trailer queens" that they'd NEVER drive...just like to show them off and display them and collect them and see how perfect a classic car they can own as opposed to other classic car collectors who ONLY want a driver for the experience and enjoyment of driving. They don't obsess about trying to continuosly get a "more perfect" car...they just want to DRIVE what they have. And nothing wrong with doing the same thing in audio...trying to own the biggest, most expensive, most powerful, loudest, most perfect system out there, but not really ever sitting down and listening to this system for 10-12 hours at a time and going for years without "upgrading"....just enjoying it for the music only.

And of course you need to do a certain amount of upgrading along the way (unless someone builds you a "perfect" system on day one...99.99% of us will never be one of those "golden spoons"!) and be aware of what's out there and not get stuck at too "inferior" of a level. I think this has been discussed here before...."plateauing", "cul -de sac's", "dead ends", etc. Gotta be a balance there somewhere (if you are not in the "trailer queen" audio camp....). But I agree; most ("average" listener...whatever that is) miss out on a whole lot of musical pleasure because they settle for what's generally available, just don't care or simply don't know what they are missing.....I was most definitely in that camp my pre-Carveraudio forum days..... Music system was just "there"....no need to upgrade nor worry about what kind of replacement drivers I used, etc. It was "good enough"....WRONG! Not even sure what brings people out of their "audio stupor"...for me, maybe just because I was done with "kid raising" and was allowed to "wake up" :lol: :lol:
Last edited by elgrau on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Not even sure what brings people out of their "audio stupor"...for me, maybe just because I was done with "kid raising" and was allowed to "wake up"

Ed....that was me as well, I love my kids, but I can relate 100%
I think thats my new favorite saying....done with "kid raising" and allowed to "wake up"..... :)
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 pm

frankieD wrote:
elgrau wrote:Not to beat a dead horse, but personally I believe "audiophiles" that spend too much time fucking around with too many different types and brands of amps are missing the forest for the trees. Obsessing with amps/equipment misses the point to all of it: LISTENING to and ENJOYING music! At a certain level of quality/power of a system it's good enough (IF musical pleasure is your prime focus). If you're just looking to have the biggest/baddest/most expensive/most "perfect" "toys", then that becomes your prime focus and the music is secondary. Talking about it all too much (wires, amps, tubes, power sources, speakers, etc.): ditto!

Well said Ed !!!

I agree 100% with you & that scares the hell out of me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now you have reason to be scared Frank, because I 199.99% agree with Ed ! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:26 pm

Nice to see you guys getting along lol.
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)