The end of the CD? Truth or bullshit?

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:37 am

The end of the CD? Truth or bullshit?

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments. ... 80_0_2_0_C

I posted this so that we can discuss the topic. Personally, they can suck donkey cock if they think I'm buying downloaded music. If the manufactures, record labels or what have you can do an SACD with the exact same quality I currently have in my SACD's, I'll consider it but I seriously doubt that will happen. Another requirement would be that I be able to playback said quality in all of the places I currently listen.

The article suggests that "they" will save money and if that's the case and I do not own the medium, the price should be lowered to reflect this. At least that's my stance. Otherwise, I'll just buy what CD's, SACD's, XRCD's, Mo-Fi's that are available.

=;

What say you?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:49 am

Re: The end of the CD? Truth or bullshit?

It wouldn't surprise me. The powers that be are all about money not quality. Downloaded music is convenient. I don't care for downloaded music but that's what most people are doing and I think that's what drives the industry. I think people who enjoy high quality music make up a small percentage so what we think or want might get ignored.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:01 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again, high quality MP3s sound very good on my system, I'm talking 320kbps. Digital music, non CD format is what I listen to 99% of the time either off my computer or through my Squeezebox and it fulfills my music desires completely and I have no lust for anything more. Of course, I don't claim to be a serious audiophile type either, just a die hard music lover!
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 225x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch KP 250 II (2 Pairs)
Klipsch RSW 15
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Listening to my squeezebox internet radio right now. I likey!!!! \:D/
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:29 pm

I have lots of downloaded music but I don't play any of it on my main system. I play at that on my Zune or on the computer. I have tried downloaded music on my main system and I didn't care for it.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:51 pm

Its all about portability these days it seems.
In the lunch trailer at work the first thing everyone does is pull out their phone and start texting....
I dont get it, but for the first 5 min everyone is heads down staring at a screen, after that about a third pull out the buds and pop them in their ears.
Thats the real reason the CD will go, you can carry your whole library of music on your phone.

As far as myself, I had a dac on loan, had the cord on the floor, my puter on the side, punched a title and on it came. I didnt like the feel of it. I guess after 40 yrs of physically looking through media like CDs and albums, choosing then placing it in/on a player, sitting back down and listening. Its what I'm use to.....its habit and it doesnt feel right to do it another way. Like wiping your ass with the other hand.

I know I'm going to have to get on the wagon eventually, I keep looking at systems, they seem to be getting a lot easier to use now. So probably I will give it another go at some point. But I wont get rid of my CDs and player, dont think I'll have too. I'm sure I'll always be able to buy CDs, just like I can still buy new Vinyl.....theyll go up in price I'm sure, and I'll pay it.....sure of that too.
<<

carlton8000

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:22 pm

The end is near for the CD. It was killed by Greed. I still by CD mostly used. I instantly important them and store them away. I still like to own the hard media. I just no longer see a need to own a stand alone CD player. Sad but true. 8)
Apple ATV2 (3)
Apogee Centaur Minor
Apogee Columns
Apogee Scintilla
B&O Beomaster 2400
Behringer B2092A
Carver ALS original
Carver C-9
Carver CT-7
Carver M-4.0t
Carver MXR-900
Carver TX-11
Dayton APA150(2)
Harmon Kardon CDR 2
Jamo Sub250(2)
Kenwood KR-2400
Marantz 2230
Meridian 568
Meridian 518
NHT Super Zero
Realistic Minimus 7(2)
Sony EP9es
Visonik David 30
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:34 pm

Bullshit!

A dose of reality, the RIAA figures for 2010

CD - $3.4 billion

Downloads (singles and albums) - $2.2 billion

Vinyl - $87 million

Who really thinks the record industry is going to give up $3.4 billion? Not me.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:47 pm

They wouldn't really be giving up all that money, sales would shift to downloads or vinyl.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 225x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch KP 250 II (2 Pairs)
Klipsch RSW 15
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
<<

fixj

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:55 pm

bought 2 CD's this past week, zero downloads. 95% of my 'airplane' music (I Pod) is transferred from CD's.
on the other side of the coin, her I Pad is 100% downloads.
at home we listen to CD's , vinyl and some satellite (Direct TV)music, no downloads......

having said all of that I rarely hear friends playing CDs ....it's usually Pandora or something similar..

historically other music media has not had the 'run' CDs have...(.breaking down vinyl by 78s, followed by 45's and then 33 1/3s)
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:24 pm

yup. in this case, plastic for me.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:15 pm

carlton8000 wrote:The end is near for the CD. It was killed by Greed. I still by CD mostly used. I instantly important them and store them away. I still like to own the hard media. I just no longer see a need to own a stand alone CD player. Sad but true. 8)

Love the Sir Nose avatar! !!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Snoop65 wrote:I have lots of downloaded music but I don't play any of it on my main system. I play at that on my Zune or on the computer. I have tried downloaded music on my main system and I didn't care for it.

Same results here....but I had to burn a CD first- guess I have antique gear~ :lol:
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:30 pm

Chauss wrote:
Snoop65 wrote:I have lots of downloaded music but I don't play any of it on my main system. I play at that on my Zune or on the computer. I have tried downloaded music on my main system and I didn't care for it.

Same results here....but I had to burn a CD first- guess I have antique gear~ :lol:

Sorry for not mentioning. I had to burn tracks to cd also.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:17 pm

jjptkd wrote:They wouldn't really be giving up all that money, sales would shift to downloads or vinyl.

Somehow, I don't think so. There's already talk in the record industry that downloads have peaked and vinyl is such a small niche, it will never be for the masses again.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)