FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:35 pm

The end of the CD? Truth or bullshit?

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: The end of the CD? Truth or bullshit?

F1nut wrote:Who really thinks the record industry is going to give up $3.4 billion? Not me.
First off, I don't.

Secondly, I'd like to see if this number accurately reflects sales of just CD's or if it includes XRCD's, HDCD's, Mo-fi releases, DVD-A's, SACD's and other format's or not. If it doesn't, then take that $3.4 Billion and add a shitload more $$$ to it as some of these are quite a bit more expensive than your regular CD you pick up at Wally World. Exponentially in some cases.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Don't forget all the music people get off the internet for free.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:22 pm

:-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :D :D :D
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:53 pm

treitz3 wrote: First off, I don't.

Secondly, I'd like to see if this number accurately reflects sales of just CD's or if it includes XRCD's, HDCD's, Mo-fi releases, DVD-A's, SACD's and other format's or not. If it doesn't, then take that $3.4 Billion and add a shitload more $$$ to it as some of these are quite a bit more expensive than your regular CD you pick up at Wally World. Exponentially in some cases.

The RIAA counts XRCD's, HDCD's, Mo-fi releases as Redbook CD's as that is what they actually are. The RIAA also counts SACD's' and DVD-A's as Redbook CD's for some unknown reason because they most certainly are not.

The RIAA does not count any SACD not issued in the USA, such as all the Japan issued SHM-SACD's.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:48 am

Snoop65 wrote:Don't forget all the music people get off the internet for free.

CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!... + computer= WOW!!!!! :-k
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:08 am

kingman wrote:
Snoop65 wrote:Don't forget all the music people get off the internet for free.

CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!... + computer= WOW!!!!! :-k

Lol!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

ekog

TFM-6cb

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:23 am

I think the real down fall of Records and CDs (I’m including all types of CD type media) is the utter lack of brick and mortar stores that we can go to. Other then Wal-Mart or Target there are very few store’s that you can go to for physical media and if you want it you have to go online to Amazon or some other web based store and have it shipped to you.

The other part of this equation is that equipment manufactures are moving to follow sales trends and phasing in and out features to match consumer wants and needs I don’t know about you but I probably would not buy equipment for a media that I cant easily get unless I had already made some kind of investment in it or felt that it provided a marked improvement in some aspect of the playback.
Main System Setup:
Pre: Carver C2 | Amp: Carver M-500t|Equilizer: Sansui SE99|Speakers: Polk SDA2’s
Source: Tuner: Carver TX-2| Phono: Technics SL-1210 MkII with a Ortofon VMS 20E Mk II| DirecTV DVR | Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc player | Samsung DVD/VHS player

Second System Setup:
Receiver: Yamaha RXV867| Fronts: Klipsch F-30's |Sub: Klipsch SW-112
Source: Radio |Internet/Network | Sony CDP-70 CD player
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 pm

treitz3 wrote: First off, I don't.

F1nut wrote:The RIAA counts XRCD's, HDCD's, Mo-fi releases as Redbook CD's as that is what they actually are. The RIAA also counts SACD's' and DVD-A's as Redbook CD's for some unknown reason because they most certainly are not.

The RIAA does not count any SACD not issued in the USA, such as all the Japan issued SHM-SACD's.

Thanks for the clarification, Jesse.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

TORO3

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:59 pm

TRUTH

I utterly miss going to the music store after work or during the weekends. For me, it's more about the ambiance of the music store and the opportunity to interact and seek advice from someone else. I can't tell you how many gems I've found just through conversation. That's what I'll miss. The human element and the ability to walk around, look at the cover, take a listen, and then purchase a non-compressed piece of music.

If there were one period of my life that I could relive right now...it would be my time working at Tower Records in Honolulu. The job responsibility was minimal, but the wealth of information that I came away with was priceless. Co-workers that looked like they didn't know a lick about classical would surprise you, and workers in the 40s could talk about Run DMC and the state of Hip-Hop at the time.

With all that said, this and the future generations are looking for convenience. Distribution, storage, and physical manufacturing that the article points out seem to be a rational business decision that would support downloads all the more.

Well, better get back to iTunes, Amazon, emusic, HDTracks, Linn Records, and Naimlabel.com.
Sunfire CRM2s, Sunfire CRS3C, Sunfire Cinema Seven, Harmon Kardon AVR240, Sony RCD-W5000

UDUB Football!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:04 pm

Honestly? That post depressed me. An era gone by........... ](*,)

Damnit.

[Great post!] At least IMO. I can Ssoooooo relate.

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:53 pm

For sure the record companies would love to get everyone into downloads. You will no longer own the music, can't resell it and can't copy it. And folks are swallowing it hook, line and sinker. Brilliant! :rolleyes:

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:16 am

F1nut wrote:For sure the record companies would love to get everyone into downloads. You will no longer own the music, can't resell it and can't copy it. And folks are swallowing it hook, line and sinker. Brilliant! :rolleyes:

Damn shame :(
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:31 am

Wait a minute...

If you can't copy it, then how does one back it up?

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Good question Tom. I'm not 100% on the DRM bullshit, but it seems to allow you to make a copy to another hard drive, but not to a CDR.

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:01 pm

Listening to the Lightstar preamp in my system, it's really a lot pickier on what music I can play. Every mp3 is different and a great number of them are unacceptable now. I think the real problem is all you audiophile types have too nice of stereos for mp3s, just too revealing. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)