FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:47 pm

Down to the Nitty Gritty.....what has an IC got to do...

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:04 am

Down to the Nitty Gritty.....what has an IC got to do...

Down to the Nitty Gritty.....what has an interconnect cable [RCA or balanced] done for you?

What was your first experience with an interconnect cable, other than that of the RCA supplied with your gear at Best Buy?

Honestly [to you], do you think they make any difference whatsoever at all?

Does anybody prefer copper over silver?

Stranded over solid?

MIT's over Wire World or AudioQuest [or any other manufacturer of IC's]?

Have they done nothing for you but send the damned signal from point A to point B?

Did a swap out of IC's make or break your system?

How did you learn of an "upgraded" cable, other than that of the Rat-Shack red and white IC?

Are you one of those folks that still have most of the IC's they ever bought stashed....just in case or otherwise?

What do YOU think just a simple set of IC's can bring to the table?

What can a great set of IC cables bring to the table?

Is an IC basically an equalizer?

Have you heard any changes in imaging with an IC?

Can an IC change the height, depth and width or even a rig's ability to portray a holographic image at all?

Can an IC by itself change tonal accuracy?

Can just one pair of stereo IC's offer more subtle nuances you have never heard before?

Does just one pair of IC's stay the same with all volume levels on your rig....or is it dependent upon room acoustics?

Within your own audio journey, should all IC's be the same throughout your system to achieve the best sound?

Have you ever heard a change in all or certain aspects of the reproduction by using Caig De-Oxit products [or a similar product] with an IC?

Have you ever tried building one yourself? If so, how did you like them?

Damnit, if we are gonna talk audio on an audio forum......ya' might as well make it good. More questions may come along and many a folk may join in on this thread. The only thing I request is that you keep it civil. Some folks may not know the answer or experiences you have to a particular question. Some folks may raise an ear to what you have to say, which is good in raising the next generation of audiophiles. The topic is plain and simple. What does an interconnect have to do with the questions above and the questions that follow. This is not a debate for whether or not they make a difference, this is an open and honest discussion for all to participate in.

Folks who are new to the forum are welcome to chime in just as much as the established members. That said, go ahead and discuss this hobby like we should on an audio forum. Let's get down to the Nitty Gritty.....no matter where that road may turn. :wink:
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:02 am

Re: Down to the Nitty Gritty.....what has an IC got to do...

Interconnects and speaker cables are an important component of your system that can effect ALL aspects of the sound. My first "experiment" was with monster cable and my journey has led me to Audioquest DBS equipped wire through out my system. Applying science to why cables sound the way they sound is cool but let your ears make the final decision. There is no "perfect" cable that is right for everybody. Choices should be made based on your sonic taste. I cut you some slack this time T3 with the "ALL CABLES SOUND THE SAME" jokes because I don't want you to have a stroke! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:56 am

Snoop65 wrote:Interconnects and speaker cables are an important component of your system that can effect ALL aspects of the sound. My first "experiment" was with monster cable and my journey has led me to Audioquest DBS equipped wire through out my system. Applying science to why cables sound the way they sound is cool but let your ears make the final decision. There is no "perfect" cable that is right for everybody. Choices should be made based on your sonic taste. I cut you some slack this time T3 with the "ALL CABLES SOUND THE SAME" jokes because I don't want you to have a stroke! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Snoop, can you describe some of the differences you gained by going with Audioquest DBS cables in your system. I am in the pre-planning phase of purchasing a 2 channel rig and am trying to decide if I go with something like the Audioquest Sidewinders/King Cobra's or one of their DBS offerings like the Colorado. Same for speaker wire, looking at the Rocket 33/44 or the Go-4 or CV-8.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:13 am

For the money, James' CarverAudio ICs are some of the best I've had on my rig.

They do everything well, imaging is very good. There are better, but you're going to pay a helluva lot more to get them...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:01 am

EndersShadow wrote:
Snoop65 wrote:Interconnects and speaker cables are an important component of your system that can effect ALL aspects of the sound. My first "experiment" was with monster cable and my journey has led me to Audioquest DBS equipped wire through out my system. Applying science to why cables sound the way they sound is cool but let your ears make the final decision. There is no "perfect" cable that is right for everybody. Choices should be made based on your sonic taste. I cut you some slack this time T3 with the "ALL CABLES SOUND THE SAME" jokes because I don't want you to have a stroke! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Snoop, can you describe some of the differences you gained by going with Audioquest DBS cables in your system. I am in the pre-planning phase of purchasing a 2 channel rig and am trying to decide if I go with something like the Audioquest Sidewinders/King Cobra's or one of their DBS offerings like the Colorado. Same for speaker wire, looking at the Rocket 33/44 or the Go-4 or CV-8.

The Audioquest cables I use are the Columbia 72v DBS interconnects and the Gibraltar 72v DBS single bi-wire speaker cables. Before the Columbia's I used Audioquest King Cobras. The switch to the Columbia's gave me a improvement in clarity, detail, a larger sound stage (especially depth in the stage) and tighter bass. The Gibraltar speaker cables gave me a smaller improvement in clarity and detail but another big gain in sound stage size and deeper tighter bass. Remember this is what they did in my system. If you can maybe you can get some demos from a dealer so you can try them out in your system before you purchase them new. Audioquest makes excellent cables but keep you options open so you get what works best for you.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:54 am

Snoop65 wrote:
EndersShadow wrote:

The Audioquest cables I use are the Columbia 72v DBS interconnects and the Gibraltar 72v DBS single bi-wire speaker cables. Before the Columbia's I used Audioquest King Cobras. The switch to the Columbia's gave me a improvement in clarity, detail, a larger sound stage (especially depth in the stage) and tighter bass. The Gibraltar speaker cables gave me a smaller improvement in clarity and detail but another big gain in sound stage size and deeper tighter bass. Remember this is what they did in my system. If you can maybe you can get some demos from a dealer so you can try them out in your system before you purchase them new. Audioquest makes excellent cables but keep you options open so you get what works best for you.

I have a local dealer that sells them (would buy online after trying them out though) and I would go test them out for sure. I appreciate the thoughts. I realize system synergy is different for everyone so they may sound not as good in my setup.

The setup I am planning is a Squeezebox Touch as my DAC (playing FLAC files) to a pre of some sort (undecided but like the Nakamichi CA-7, or any pre w/ volume control w/ remote) to my amp (probably a Carver M500t) to a set of Polk LSi 9's. I might even just have a freind build me a passive pre w/ volume control via remote since to start with I will ONLY have the Squeezebox as my source.

By my count I need 2 sets of IC's and one set of speaker cables. The dbs series cables cost lots more, so I want to make sure they are worth the investment over say the Sidewinder/King Cobra's and the Rocket 33 wire. Thankfully minus the speaker cables I can probably get by with .5 or 1m IC's which should help lower the cost a bit.

I believe depending on when I go, the shop may even let me bring in my full setup and hopefully swap their cables out so I can see if I can tell the difference. Withstanding the differences in the room, that would be the ideal demo.

I also around that time should be recieving the MIT cables from the Polk Audio demo so I could get a decent A/B as the other company I am looking at is MIT.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:10 am

I have a local dealer that sells them (would buy online after trying them out though) and I would go test them out for sure.

So after your local dealer lets you try cables they have in stock, provides you a place to try them and provides gear for you use as you listen to the cables, all of which costs them a lot of money, you are going to thank them by purchasing the cables from a different business!?!
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:14 am

Yeah, things like this are part of what's causing the brick and mortar stores to close their doors. Tell you what. I have an extra pair of AQ CV-8's with the upgraded 72v battery pack. The 'nanners need to be replaced/upgraded, which is covered under warranty. What I can do if you are interested is send them back to AQ and have them forward the pair to you after the repair. If you like them you can purchase them. If they don't work in your rig, send 'em back.

I think I also have a pair of Sidewinder IC's. They would be most likely longer than you need [12'] but you could at least get a glimpse of what they sound like. PM me if you are interested.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:00 am

F1nut wrote:
I have a local dealer that sells them (would buy online after trying them out though) and I would go test them out for sure.

So after your local dealer lets you try cables they have in stock, provides you a place to try them and provides gear for you use as you listen to the cables, all of which costs them a lot of money, you are going to thank them by purchasing the cables from a different business!?!

I would be bringing all MY gear to them, they would simply provide the cables and the power, however when you put it that way you make me re-consider, however most of the cables I would try they already have in use in one of their many systems so I wouldn't be making them do anything other than pull some cables out for me. Also I normally try to purchase used (to keep the cost down) which isnt something they tend to have lots of.

I am normally all for purchasing from hi-fi shops, however this one in particular tends to be on the very high side of price. I realize its to pay their overhead, however I purchased a product from them and had issues with it (wont get into it) and the experiences working with them is not a fond one.
Last edited by EndersShadow on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:03 am

Re:

treitz3 wrote:Yeah, things like this are part of what's causing the brick and mortar stores to close their doors. Tell you what. I have an extra pair of AQ CV-8's with the upgraded 72v battery pack. The 'nanners need to be replaced/upgraded, which is covered under warranty. What I can do if you are interested is send them back to AQ and have them forward the pair to you after the repair. If you like them you can purchase them. If they don't work in your rig, send 'em back.

I think I also have a pair of Sidewinder IC's. They would be most likely longer than you need [12'] but you could at least get a glimpse of what they sound like. PM me if you are interested.

Let me think on that and get back to you. I dont have my 2 channel system up and running (those purchases will be around tax time next year), but I could use the IC's and speaker wire in my HT rig in place of the SignalCable Analog 2's and Audioquest speaker wire I have now. As I am running a LSi HT setup with my Carver amp, it would probably give me a good idea of the sound.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:53 am

To answer your original Q T3- Down to the Nitty Gritty.....what has an IC got to do...

Absolutely NOTHING other than pass the signal totally "unaltered"...... :D Now.....finding one is another story!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:06 am

Chauss wrote:To answer your original Q T3- Down to the Nitty Gritty.....what has an IC got to do...

Absolutely NOTHING other than pass the signal totally "unaltered"...... :D Now.....finding one is another story!

You hit the nail on the head Chauss!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:57 pm

Which leads me to the question of the century.....CAN an IC pass a signal unaltered?

Then again, upon further thought.......is that preferable? Much like a totally flat frequency curve. By the numbers, it's sounds incredible but alas in reality many a folk say that it is not the best sound.

:-s

BTW, I'm listening to the DCB the best I ever have. Think I'll ask her out to have dinner, but alas, she's just a recording and I'm married. #-o

For a moment there, I thought the moon was made of gold. :D

<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:29 pm

In reality can ANY part of the audio chain pass the signal unaltered? I think what we are dealing with is what alters the signal the least.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:41 pm

Snoop65 wrote:In reality can ANY part of the audio chain pass the signal unaltered?

I doubt it.

Snoop65 wrote: I think what we are dealing with is what alters the signal the least.

...or the most realistic with relation to reproductive qualities, which is the same as the manufactures of gear other than IC's are doing. Will they/we achieve it? Not while we are alive, if ever.

...at least that's my thought process...

Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)