It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:36 am

Movin' on up...

<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Re: Movin' on up...

I just passed out!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Got the GE's in just 10 minutes ago.

Vance, the GE five star 5751 black plate triple mica tubes are in the Jolida as we speak. I will refrain from comment until they break into the rig a bit. It's definitely different. I will wait until about 300 hours are on them and make my observations. I will say this, the noise floor is low and I have to turn it up a tad bit more to get the same volume [Not a bad thing IMO]. Probably an estimated hour more, if you will, on the volume knob.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:36 pm

The GE 5751's I sent have triple mica construction so they are less microphonic. The also run a lower voltage so they don't have as much gain as a regular 12AX7 so yes you have to turn them up a little more. Enjoy!!!!
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Got the GE's in just 10 minutes ago.

treitz3 wrote:Vance, the GE five star 5751 black plate triple mica tubes are in the Jolida as we speak. I will refrain from comment until they break into the rig a bit. It's definitely different. I will wait until about 300 hours are on them and make my observations. I will say this, the noise floor is low and I have to turn it up a tad bit more to get the same volume [Not a bad thing IMO]. Probably an estimated hour more, if you will, on the volume knob.

I would have popped them in the preamp first.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:40 pm

I need 4 for the Dodd.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Re:

treitz3 wrote:I need 4 for the Dodd.

Should have told me. I could have sent four. 8)
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:08 pm

Tom, I know you are a Dodd fan so I thought I'd post pics of his new amps. These are sitting in his living room right now. Dont know much about them, But they sure look cool....woudnt want to change out the tubes on those. I didnt know he was running the prototype of my speakers, glad to know he likes them, but something tells me I'll never know what those amps sound like on mine.
Attachments
new dodd.jpg
new dodd.jpg (28.25 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
new dodd 2.jpg
new dodd 2.jpg (38.46 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:48 am

wow. what a room treatment. and the amps are cool too.lol =D>
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:46 pm

PDR, do you have a link to said Dodd amps? These do not look like something he would build. Listen too maybe but not build.

Snoop, I will be sending the tubes back. Not that much of a fan of them, thanks though.

<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:06 am

He built them for another company.......dont know what one off hand.
Heres the discription in his own words:

Hey guys
Those beasts were designed and built by myself for another mans company product!! I have his permission to show them off so I am taking that opertunity to do so. This is one heck of a DIY project as I did over 90% of it all myself including all the machining except for the sides and face plates!
I have well over 1000 hours of time in these things. I am very proud of these bad boys for sure!
They are very large but only take up 2 square feet of floor space.
300 pounds each! Will produce almost 700 watts before clipping.
While I was testing them I was using 10 HZ and my equipment ran out of drive at 540 watts, distortion was around .2%,very very clean!!! I estimate approx 700 at or just before clipping. All 24 ouput tube are individually automatically biased with servo's and they are also direct coupled to the drive stage. 20 tubes total in each amp. 200+ watts of class A power. They idle full time at 720 watts each and they do raise the room temp about 8 degrees in just a couple of hours! The room is 17'x22'x20'. I am running them 12 hours each day until he comes to get them. I am thinking of giving him the electric bill for this month. 12 amps continuous 12 hours a day for the next week or so, i wonder what that's going to cost?
They are the most awsome amps I have built to date!
Now I'm itchin to do twice the power and twice the tubes!
The sound is INCREDIBLE to say the least, the best I have ever done!
That's enough, later.
Gary

Its from here:http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=101936.0
I posted his response because I believe you have to be a member to read the thread.....or maybe not.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:05 am

Damn, looks like Gary's been busy! =D>

treitz3 wrote:Snoop, I will be sending the tubes back. Not that much of a fan of them, thanks though.
I haven't been feeling very well lately [acute sinusitis] and I feel I should at least take the time to explain why I wasn't that big of a fan of the GE's instead of just saying that I'll be sending them back.

At first listen, I could instantly tell that their was an increase in presence and more of that oh-so-lovely and sought after "tube" effect. I could tell this before I even sat down in the s.w.e.e.t spot and I thought I was really in for a treat. I went ahead and slapped in a variety of albums, not caring if they were reference albums or not. I wanted to just sit back and enjoy some music while these tubes got used to my rig.

The vocals sounded rather nice and fluid but were more pronounced than the rest of the music. They also were more "in your face" within the sound stage which at times became slightly annoying. A little too much presence, if you will. The bass extension was still there but with less weight and authority. The texture was also slightly reduced with regards to the lower regions. The top end was slightly brighter with a bit more sizzle. This was welcome with some recordings but was a bit too much on others and I found myself with listener's fatigue, even if I turned down the volume a notch or two. Listener's fatigue is something I never experience with my rig. Instruments like the saxophone sounded incredible. The piano, not so much. Things were kind of a hit or miss with these tubes. I did enjoy the air and ambiance they provided, though. Very much.

Another thing I noticed was that with regards to instruments such as the top hat or cymbal, was the complete loss of the natural decay [or roll off, as I call it]. It would present these types of instruments as a quick "tst", instead of the impact of the drumstick followed by the natural ringing and vibrations that slowly decay off into nothing. The GE's just presented them as a quick "tst", with nothing afterwards.

These tubes would be great for a laid back or relaxed rig. Another thing they would excel at would be a tweeter or speaker that doesn't have the ability to produce that much air or one that the vocals seem to be pushed back. None the less, I appreciate your loaning them to me. That was an extremely nice gesture.

<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Re:

treitz3 wrote:Damn, looks like Gary's been busy! =D>

treitz3 wrote:Snoop, I will be sending the tubes back. Not that much of a fan of them, thanks though.
I haven't been feeling very well lately [acute sinusitis] and I feel I should at least take the time to explain why I wasn't that big of a fan of the GE's instead of just saying that I'll be sending them back.

At first listen, I could instantly tell that their was an increase in presence and more of that oh-so-lovely and sought after "tube" effect. I could tell this before I even sat down in the s.w.e.e.t spot and I thought I was really in for a treat. I went ahead and slapped in a variety of albums, not caring if they were reference albums or not. I wanted to just sit back and enjoy some music while these tubes got used to my rig.

The vocals sounded rather nice and fluid but were more pronounced than the rest of the music. They also were more "in your face" within the sound stage which at times became slightly annoying. A little too much presence, if you will. The bass extension was still there but with less weight and authority. The texture was also slightly reduced with regards to the lower regions. The top end was slightly brighter with a bit more sizzle. This was welcome with some recordings but was a bit too much on others and I found myself with listener's fatigue, even if I turned down the volume a notch or two. Listener's fatigue is something I never experience with my rig. Instruments like the saxophone sounded incredible. The piano, not so much. Things were kind of a hit or miss with these tubes. I did enjoy the air and ambiance they provided, though. Very much.

Another thing I noticed was that with regards to instruments such as the top hat or cymbal, was the complete loss of the natural decay [or roll off, as I call it]. It would present these types of instruments as a quick "tst", instead of the impact of the drumstick followed by the natural ringing and vibrations that slowly decay off into nothing. The GE's just presented them as a quick "tst", with nothing afterwards.

These tubes would be great for a laid back or relaxed rig. Another thing they would excel at would be a tweeter or speaker that doesn't have the ability to produce that much air or one that the vocals seem to be pushed back. None the less, I appreciate your loaning them to me. That was an extremely nice gesture.

Wow!!! My prick status is fading fast!!! No problem Tom! :D
<<

arigatou

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Fantastic pipe! If you want more warmth, you can go to the NOS Mullard 12AX7 front of my favorite GE's five-star black plate triple mica 5751, if you have sufficient access.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Wow, these spammers are getting smarter. #-o #-o
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)