FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:59 pm

Carver MXR 130 ?

<<

VADER

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Carver MXR 130 ?

Hi everyone, I am new to the Carver world. I'm looking to purchase something vintage. I remember from the 80s this brand was pretty good. I was considering the MXR130 since its a complete unit not having to purchase a preamp & tuner and it has low .05 thd.

Is this a good starting point? Am I wrong in thinking that the separate power amps have higher THD? I havent read anything mentioning it but the distortion seems high on some models.

Opinions welcome, I am trying to learn.

Thanks in advance.

My current system is an 80s Technics with Polk 5B speakers, and a NAD cd.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: Carver MXR 130 ?

WELCOME!!!!!!... =D> =D> =D> ...
Am I wrong in thinking that the separate power amps have higher THD?
...YES
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

VADER

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:25 pm

Please provide some insight, I look at the THD of the 130 and its .05, the power amps are around .15. I thought humans can detect anything over .07. I really like the separate amps and tuner, so please convince me.
Thanks.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:37 pm

First off, welcome to the forum. I would advise not relying totally on the spec's when it comes to any gear. Spec's, measurements and numbers mean absolutely nothing when it comes to the end result of what hits your ears.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:53 pm

VADER wrote:Please provide some insight, I look at the THD of the 130 and its .05, the power amps are around .15. I thought humans can detect anything over .07. I really like the separate amps and tuner, so please convince me.
Thanks.

Welcome. I am new here too, but not too new to know that these guys can pretty much respond with one word and that's convincing enough for me. Only exception is when they start debating, making your head spin - but if you want information - browse and stay tuned - you will definitely get information.
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Pretty certain you'd be hard pressed to even hear .7%.....

Since most speakers distort an order of MAGNITUDE more than an amp, I recommend the separates. The Sunfire amps have THD specs higher than many, but you'd be amazed at how much better they can sound thsn your average receiver....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:14 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Pretty certain you'd be hard pressed to even hear .7%.....

NO DOUBT!!! =D> =D> =D>
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:26 pm

=D> \:D/ =D> Welcome!! =D> \:D/ =D> As a general rule, I believe .5% THD and under is considered "audiophile" quality but like Treitz has pointed out, numbers don't begin to tell the whole story. Some times distortion is a good thing, gives it a little "flavor" if you will. Good luck and happy holidays!
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

VADER

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:58 pm

Weird, I had to check the posts on another computer with google, my computer doesnt show the whole thing. Maybe its overkill, I dont know.

Any recommendations on a particular model thats fairly easy to find, reliable and decent power. I am partial to the silver look with handles on the sides.

Thanks for the tips so far.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:08 pm

I like the M-1.5t personally and the M-4.0t. The M-1.5t has a swe-et sound and the m-4.0t has tons of power, both are great amps. Amps of this age will most likely need service soon, if they haven't been serviced already, just something to consider when buying an almost 30 year old amp. There are service centers around but it will typically run you about $300 or so to have them gone through.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:06 am

jjptkd wrote:I like the M-1.5t personally and the M-4.0t. The M-1.5t has a swe-et sound and the m-4.0t has tons of power, both are great amps. Amps of this age will most likely need service soon, if they haven't been serviced already, just something to consider when buying an almost 30 year old amp. There are service centers around but it will typically run you about $300 or so to have them gone through.

I do like my M1.5 as well....
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten

Return to Carver Home (Audio)