FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:07 pm

EAT cool tube dampers, anybody with experience?

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:14 pm

EAT cool tube dampers, anybody with experience?

I just ran across this today and it looks like something I'm really interested in. I have a need of 6 of them for 12AX7's in the pre and the CDP that I have. After doing some research, these look to be the perfect application for what I'm looking for. They help to keep the tubes cool and they eliminate vibrations. I was wondering if anybody out there has a set or tried this product before and could comment on the effectiveness of said product. They appear as if they will do the job better than any other I have ran across at "somewhat" of a reasonable price point.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp ... =MHEATDAMP

From the website....

The Cool Damper is a radical new device for the tube accessory industry from EAT – EuroAudioTeam. This beautifully crafted audio product offers much more than simply adding a new styling twist to your valves, it also brings exceptional acoustic performance and function to your system by delivering sound that redefines the tube dampening category.

Carefully chosen materials for our Cool Damper device allows using it as a truly effective vibration-consuming damper. This results in reduced distortion from the tube circuit, as well as vastly reducing the tendency of most vacuum tubes to act in a microphonic manner. In addition, the sound from a component utilizing Cool Dampers can be heard to have more controlled and deeper bass, a cleaner sound stage, crisper and greater dynamic range, and better focus of the entire sound field.

The Cool Damper also reduces the operating temperature of the vacuum tube by about 10%, which of course acts to appreciably extend the lifetime of the tube.

The Cool Damper is a result of many years of rigorous research and development. This high-fidelity, consumer-friendly product is easy to install, and fabulously simple in design. We found, from all tested materials, that the most suitable is a relatively soft aluminum extrusion coated with a special blended mix of Teflon and Carbon composite PTFE. The precise shapes of the EAT Cool Dampers are finished with long-lasting anodic oxidation colours. This makes these cooling rings an aesthetically attractive, as well as functional, accessory for your valued vacuum tube equipment.

For flexible and easily detachable contact of the aluminum body to the sometimes erratic cylindrical surfaces of various tubes, we use six special carbon-teflon composite stripes (V profile). Appropriate design and materials of the Cool Dampers compensate for the naturally resonant tendencies of both glass and aluminum, and work to transform active vibrational energy into thermal energy, which is then dissipated as heat radiation.

Tube dampers in one form or another have been around for many years, but these from EAT are so much more effective than any previous efforts that they deserve to be auditioned on their own merit.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: EAT cool tube dampers, anybody with experience?

Let me know what you think if you try these out....thanks
Ray
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:18 am

The BobFather said he did extensive hands-on research with tube dampers & found the BEST tubes to prevent microphonics had a thick glass center (inner) section that prevented the metal bits from vibrating in the first place. He found no effect with the outer ring dampers.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:54 pm

No problem, Ray. Gary, I kinda find it hard to believe that he didn't hear any difference with tube dampers. Let me tell you a story...

I was talking to Jesse [F1nut] on the phone a couple of years back and I was complaining of this "noise" that introduced itself when I turned up the volume. I could tell that this noise wasn't there when the volume was low but it introduced itself as I turned up the volume and it seemed to follow the instruments. the louder the instruments got, the louder the introduced artifact became. I told him that I had to keep the volume low on some tracks because I couldn't stand this unwanted artifact in the music. After talking about and describing what I heard, he simply asked one question. "Do you have any isolation underneath your CDP"?

My answer was no. He proceeded to inform me that what I may be hearing is microphonic distortion caused by the tubes vibrating. Upon hanging up, I immediately went to go get Rick's sorbothane risers and I installed them underneath the CDP. I also put isolation pucks underneath the Dodd preamplifier, which is also a tubed unit. *POOF* the unwanted noise was gone and hasn't been back since. Thanks again, Jesse! :wink:

I have been given some tube dampers [4 of them] and I must admit, I haven't installed them in the Dodd yet because I don't hear any unwanted artifacts since I isolated my tubed gear. It will be interesting to see if they actually do anything that is audibly detectible at this point. The Jolida has some sort of spring locking mechanism on the tubes, so I don't think I can add anything there, unless I remove the thing so I guess I'll just try adding the dampers on the Dodd for now. I'll chime back in after this is done to report my findings. Who knows? I may come to the same conclusion as Bob but I can guarantee you that if the two tubed units weren't isolated, tube dampeners would be invaluable.

I will eventually get a full compliment of these dampeners for the Dodd [will need 4 total] and I will report back then as well on my findings. First things first, though. I gotta save up to get the second pair of Transparent Reference IC's. Hopefully this will happen by later on this month and then I can move on to getting these. I guess I'll be the guinea pig with these tube dampeners since it looks like nobody has had any experience with them yet.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:00 pm

Hot damn, I actually found a review of this thing. I haven't read it yet but I'm about to.

http://www.euroaudioteam.com/c2/downloa ... -d0015.pdf

Return to Carver Home (Audio)