FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:02 pm

What kind of listener are you?

<<

67ih4x4x4

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Re: What kind of listener are you?

I think I may be a hybrid. Some realistic listener, music aficionado and image freak with a few lines from a few other types.
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:39 pm

MRHP wrote: My favorite part of a song is the beginning as each instrument comes in and the speakers respond with athority.

*5*
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:02 pm

Like when you instinctively duck because it scares the living shit out of you?

Right now I'm trying to be a music aficionado and I'm failing miserably. Maybe you folks can help me out. I saw a concert by Led Zep years ago that was broadcast live [I believe I had satellite at the time] and I recorded it on VHS. That particular concert was beyond outstanding, especially sound-wise. I'm guessing about 12 or so years ago. They had played the song "Kasmir" with an accompanying semi-full orchestra. It was the best I have ever heard that song but the recording I made [on a Mitsubishi SHF VCR, none the less] sounded like ass when I went to go replay it.

I would like to find that concert again, this time finding a better recording medium or at the very least on par to what I heard live broadcast over the rig at the time...... Can any of you help? [-o<
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:39 am

I'm a mofo listener.....mother fucker that sounds good!!!
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:55 am

F1nut wrote:I'm a mofo listener.....mother fucker that sounds good!!!

There you go Tom I guess I am in the MOFO class with Jesse!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

aceinc

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:11 pm

Eclectic, music wise as I like a lot of genre's. Technology wise, I view each piece as art, as in "I know what I like when I hear it." Last evening I was listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" on SACD at about 102 DB at the listening position, and really enjoyed;

A) The bass I'm not talking in your ear bass, I mean entire body visceral bass,
B) The clarity of all the sounds, while some of the sound verged on painful, I heard no unintended distortion
C) The dynamic range
D) Placement of the sounds.

Not long after DSotM I listened to a piece I also enjoy called "Alone Together" which is just a bass and female vocal piece off of a Telarc Jazz sampler. I enjoyed;

A) In the room reality. The texture of the sound that immersed me in the fantasy of being there
B) The juxtaposition of an acoustic bass and the female vocal

So what kind of listener am I? Ill let you try to figure it out, I would call myself appreciative, perhaps.

Paul
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Audio)