It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:18 am

Carverfest Tube Amp Transformer Hum

<<

radioeng2

TFM-75

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Carverfest Tube Amp Transformer Hum

Hi Angelo,

Nope...no concerns on this with the output transformers, just the PT.

Don, you should be able to change the diodes...those shouldn't be too hard to get to or change I don't think. They are on a tag strip right between the biggest cap and the one a little smaller. Same one as where Bob called the ground connection point as "Ground Zero".

I'm not sure how much diode change has of effecting xfrm buzz or not. But at the least it's a very good thing sonically anyway!

In the next couple days, I'll try to look up a couple of alternates that'd be decent quality and post them.

Mark

PS...I was actually referring to the screws that hold the transformer together, but the can over the transformer might get involved too! To get to the xfmr, you'd have to undo the screws from the bottom and left that cover off. You might listen at that point and see if the noise clears up even before tightning the screws. Also, check the four screws that mount the xfmr to the chassis. Heck, as far as that goes, you might tighten all the screws from the bottom side FIRST! Just in case....

Transformer buzz is actually a rather common problem and I think that I've seen where Hammond will not replace them when they do it new even.
Last edited by radioeng2 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Mark, thanks for pointing out the 4 screws. I had thought about that but didn't post because usually that doesn't become a concern [at least in my experience] until years or decades down the line. I'm glad you did mention it, though because after you posted it? That is about the simplest solution and it might actually work.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:04 pm

I thought of another thing that might work, although it will make a mess of the transformers over time. Take electrical tape and tightly wrap the coils and housing. Go about 10-15 times [wrapping tightly every time] around the transformers and then power it back up. See if the hum goes away. If it doesn't, remove the tape and follow the aforementioned advice.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Re:

treitz3 wrote:I thought of another thing that might work, although it will make a mess of the transformers over time. Take electrical tape and tightly wrap the coils and housing. Go about 10-15 times [wrapping tightly every time] around the transformers and then power it back up. See if the hum goes away. If it doesn't, remove the tape and follow the aforementioned advice.

Tom,

Will the transformer get hot enough to melt electrical tape into a sticky goo over time, if this works?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Will the transformer get hot enough to melt electrical tape into a sticky goo over time, if this works?
...Don...better to take the tape, wad it up, and place in your ears...there...no hum!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:21 pm

kingman wrote:
...Don...better to take the tape, wad it up, and place in your ears...there...no hum!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I knew I could count on you for passing along expert advice! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Don- it is made to withstand more heat than sound deadening material would. Wrap it as tight as you can get it by "stretching" the tape. The glue is all that will melt-which may be a good thing to tighten up the windings a bit.
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

arigatou

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:49 pm

They are really good people. Call them back for the weight of the transformer, I was awed and transported.
Last edited by AlexSauter on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: SPAM
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:00 pm

arigatou wrote:They are really good people. Call them back for the weight of the transformer, I was awed and transported.

Reported SPAM.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

MRHP

TFM-55

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:52 pm

kingman wrote:Ok...where do we get replacement transformers and is there a guarantee that THEY will not hum??? Alex??? :-s

Kingman you have to leave that 75 to somebody soooo if you decide to work on yours live.....DIBBS
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Lightstar serial #0008
Lightstar serial #0008
Carver Black Magic 20/pair
300x2
SD/A 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TT
ProJect TT Tube preamp
Technics RS-1500US Reel to Reel
DQ-6c's
DQ-20's
JL Audio 12W7's
After showing SNOOP65 a set of outrageously expensive tubes on ebay he says:
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!!
<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:07 am

Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:35 pm

Mine are also quiet.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Audio)