FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:23 am

Want a taste of what a dedicated line can do for your rig?

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Want a taste of what a dedicated line can do for your rig?

No problem, try this.

1st, commit to devoting an hour of your time for the experiment. Listen to three songs that you use as a reference recording and make sure that you are intimately familiar with these recordings. Oh, sit your ass in the listening position for this experiment. Don't go walking around the room during this test or you may not ever know what the results could be. Now, go to your circuit breaker and cut the power to every single circuit in the house. Do this to every one but what your 2-channel rig is plugged into. If your rig is using two separate circuits, unplug every unnecessary component but that which will power 1 source [such as a CDP only], 1 pre or integrated and if you do not have an integrated, 1 amplifier [unless you are bi-amping, then power the 2nd amp up as well]. Basically, make your system the most simplistic 2 channel rig you can make it using the absolute least amount of plugs used as possible.

Now listen to the same three songs in the same listening position and using the same source.

Be advised that you might hear the differences better [if any] at nighttime when the grid demand is low. Feel free to post back on any observations that you may have found, even if you found none at all. Have fun during the experiment and don't forget to reset the clocks after you turn the power back on to everything else in the house. Wouldn't want to be late for work and piss your boss off. Whether that boss is considered your wife/significant other or your actual boss at work.

If you experience a significant change in the reproduction, you might want to consider a dedicated line for your rig. If you experience nothing, move on to other aspects of your rig and enjoy the music.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Re: Want a taste of what a dedicated line can do for your ri

I have 2 x 20A dedicated circuits in my listening room- so no news to me! =D>
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Chauss wrote:I have 2 x 20A dedicated circuits in my listening room- so no news to me! =D>

Sometimes you make me so jealous! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:05 pm

Dan, this thread is obviously not for you. If you try this and YOU hear a difference? You have issues. :lol:

I thought it might be a learning experience for those who haven't done what you have already. It will offer them a little taste of what you already have.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:08 pm

I was merely seconding your emotion! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:13 am

I have 2 sets of 30 amp breakers and 8ga wire with hubble outlets and 2 20 amp lines.
1 Lightstar per 30amp line.
All other stuff is run on the 20 amp lines
My listening room was planned running a pair of bridged TFM-55s hence the 30 amp lines

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:15 am

Tom:

This is a great idea. I would try it but it doesn't matter since I rent right now and they wouldnt let me install dedicated circuits.

So I will bookmark it for a later date and maybe try it if I get bored sometime and am at home alone
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:22 am

Chauss wrote:I have 2 x 20A dedicated circuits in my listening room- so no news to me! =D>

x2 as well for me too 8)
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:50 am

I run my set of Silver Sevens on 2 x 20 amp dedicated lines and a dedicated 15 amp for the rest of the rig

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:54 am

When I bought my house the first thing I did was tear the roof off the garage change the existing roof pitch and build a second floor living room which measures 16x24. Every phase of this project was completed by me including the finising of the second story of the existing structure. I also have 2 dedicated 20 amp lines for my tunes as well. As you can see from my avatar those 4 M 500 T's at full bore will eat 40 amps for breakfast.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:36 am

Tom,

Very good post and great idea. We were fortunate enouh when we built 14 yeas ago, I planned on 5 dedicated 20 amp circuits for our HTR and House system.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:02 am

Don wrote:Tom,

Very good post and great idea. We were fortunate enouh when we built 14 yeas ago, I planned on 5 dedicated 20 amp circuits for our HTR and House system.

Planning for a pair of Silver 9's for each channel Don? :D
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Chauss wrote:
Don wrote:Tom,

Planning for a pair of Silver 9's for each channel Don? :D

Never know what the future holds. :lol

Really running a lot of stuff. Had TFM-75 in loop at one time, which as you know has two power cords, two 55x's, pre-amp, receiver, blu-ray, DVD/VHS DVR, Sat. Receiver, two sub amps from Whisper XD's and Xilica processor, Velodyne 18 inch, Media Center Computer, two Niles 10 speaker selector switches and Sammy HD plus 3 Panamaxes. Then added a Sunfire 400 X7, C9 and BBE. Just about out of space for everything. ](*,)
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:10 pm

So, has anybody who doesn't already have dedicated lines tried this? If not, this weekend would be a great time to find out!

<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:06 pm

I tried it last night but after I threw everything in the breaker box besides the outlet for my gear I couldn't find my way back out of the garage... ](*,) Might be better to do it during the day.... :-"
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)