FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:15 pm

TFm55 shutdown

<<

2-tall

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:33 pm

TFm55 shutdown

I was playing my AL111's last night using my TFM55. I was playing at a high volume when the amp shut down. Checked it and found it was so hot I could not keep my hand on it. I put a computer fan on it to cool it down then waited til the morning to try it again. Everything is fine. Anyone have an idea as to why this happened? I will definitely keep the fan on from now on.

Thanks
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Yeah, the protection circuit kicked in and saved you from making your amp into nothing more than a pretty doorstop. Thank Mr. Carver for that one. Say ten hell Mary's everyday and no pud-wackin' for a week. Then the audio God's may let this one go.

Seriously, it sounds like you overran or over heated the unit. Provide either better ventilation or just plain turn it down. The fan should not be "needed". A good rule of thumb is if you hear any distortion...any at all? Turn it down a notch and just enjoy what the system is capable of. This may change from song to song or album to album. The rule of thumb aforementioned doesn't sway.

In the meantime, enjoy the music.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: TFm55 shutdown

I did the same thing when I had a 55 running my ALIII's. It is a good amp for that speaker but those speakers are hard to drive.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:07 pm

The AL-IIIs are a hard load to drive, especially at high volumes. The TFM-55 is getting up there in age, has it been serviced or re-calibrated lately? :-k :-k
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:12 pm

also, how long has it been since it had all the dust blown out of it?
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

2-tall

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Had it apart to solder the binding post about a month ago. I blew out the dust at that time.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:55 pm

I disagree that the fan isn't needed. If you intend to continue driving the AL-IIIs hard with that amp, I'd keep a fan on it whenever it's playing. Heat contributes to part degradation.

I DO agree however, that the Amazings are just too much speaker to drive hard for extended periods with a TFM-55. I tried a souped-up M-500 on mine once (@500 wpc) & it shut down at anything over a modestly loud level. The first amp I used on AL-IIIs was a cheap Onkyo; it would hardly go above 9 o'clock on the volume knob before shutting down. The second amp I used was an M1.5t (pretty ballsy), but even it ran out of steam at enthusiastic levels.

If you intend to continue beating those speakers like a red-headed stepchild, you need something with some ASS to it, and by ass, I mean at least 80 amperes & stable into a HARD 4 ohm-load, which those speakers are. IMO, a Sunfire would meet those requirements at a bargain price, but there are other options. They won't be cheap, however.....

That or you need to back off the pedal a little. The fan certainly won't hurt~

:D
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

austinstephens

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:34 am

Yep..Sounds familiar..This has happened to me twice with my Amazing originals and TFM-55....I put a muffin fan over the louvers ..
It does help some. Things are fine until I "stand on it"..I now run two Carver PM 1.5 Monoblocks, and they're capable of 1200 watts into 4 ohms..No problems..With only one main board for the fan to cool, they run pretty cool...
"Despite all the amputations, she could dance to a rock and roll station, and it was all right"....Lou Reed
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:28 am

Austinstephens how do you like the PM1.5's I see them on ebay alot and they look like a good candidate to drive some big subwoofers.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

austinstephens

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:41 am

The ones from Claiir Brothers are quite used, but they work...They need some cleaning, scratches, etc..They are true road dogs.. You get what you get..Some have been run without filters and are quite dirty inside, but again, they work.I have a couple of good ones that perform great..No hums, etc..They have no problems driving my originals, hardly even get warm to the touch, and those speakers will dip to 2 ohms..I don't see any problems driving subs with them....For the money, they are worth it....
"Despite all the amputations, she could dance to a rock and roll station, and it was all right"....Lou Reed
<<

2-tall

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:31 pm

I will hook up the fan. I have a question. I also have a tfm35. Would it help if I one power the ribbons and the other the low end. If so which one to the ribbons? Looks like and old Triumph in the photo.Used to have those before my Harley's
<<

austinstephens

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Yes it would..It's known as biamping..Power the ribbons with the 35, and the mains with the 55.....Maybe swap them around and see what works the best.

It's a 1972 TR6R 650 Triumph with a 750 kit in it..Bought it in 1983, restored it,m and on the road in 1984..Been riding it ever since..
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:38 pm

The second amp would definitely help. I'd try both combinations but those ribbons are the biggest suckers of power, my guess would be 55 on top, 35 on bottom.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:48 pm

jjptkd wrote:The second amp would definitely help. I'd try both combinations but those ribbons are the biggest suckers of power, my guess would be 55 on top, 35 on bottom.

The ribbons are actually pretty efficient. They were tamed WAAAAY down to match with the woofers. The crossovers eat up at least 40% of the power going into the speakers....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Return to Carver Home (Audio)