FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:46 am

Amazing original, Amazing platinium or silver ?

<<

Luc

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:26 pm

Amazing original, Amazing platinium or silver ?

Please help me.
What is the best choice ?

Thanks for your response
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:33 pm

The one that sounds best to your ears.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Luc

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:36 pm

;) more seriously... amazing original greater than Amazing silver ?
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:10 pm

Ok, seriously......get the platinums. They are more refined than the others.

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:06 pm

The original Amazing Loudspeaker had two, 30" ribbon sections per speaker, and four, 12" woofers per speaker. They are not that efficient. I have an old Carver sales brochure that states, "recommended power - 1200wpc."

The Amazing Silver Edition, is a slightly smaller affair, with a single 48" long ribbon, and three 12" woofers per speaker.

The Amazing Platinum was the last incarnation, with a single 60" ribbon, and four 12" woofers per speaker. The definitive "mans" loudspeaker if you will. Efficiency? I have had great success driving my pair with a single Carver 375wpc amp. But I haven't done that in about 11 years, because 11 years ago I bought a second 375wpc amp, and bridged them both for a 1,000 watt dual-mono rig. A man can never have too much power.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:14 am

George being as modest as ever.......

<<

Luc

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:48 am

I can unfortunately choose only the amazing original because the carver are very rare and expensive in france. Only 4 pair ... and no platinium :(

I have a pair of SP991 vincent 2x300 class A mono block amplifier driving actually a pair of amazing silver. I want to change because medium and low register are bad.

Can simple modifications they be made, wiring, connector block to improve the original amazing?

If someone wants to buy me a platinium and come in france :)
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:55 am

Are you saying that part of the crossover has gone bad or has part of the ribbon gone bad?

<<

Luc

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:59 am

medium and low register are not enough refined.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:15 am

Luc,

Ok, I think I've got it. You're saying that the mid-range and bass are not sounding as refined as you would like. You could have the caps and resistors upgraded to see if that would help, I'm sure it would.

I've visited France, loved it, but there is no way I'm dragging a pair of Plat's with me if I go again. You could come here, buy a pair and have them shipped back. It might be cheaper than buying a pair of the Original Amazings in your country.

Jesse

<<

govcon

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:42 am

Ok...guys how low do the Amazings go impedence wise? I always thought that they dipped low enough to around 3 Ohms or so. If they do dip that low, I'm wondering if bridging a Carver amp like some of you are doing is even a good idea. The reason I'm saying this is that from what I understand of bridging...you're summing both amp channels. The result is that the amp sees half the loading...like if your initial load on the amp was 8 Ohms....the summed (bridged) amp now sees 4 Ohms or half. If the speakers drop to 4, 2, 1, then you can see where this is heading. The current demands will stress the amp way before you've reached the amp's theoretical max output.
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:09 pm

The Amazing Platinums are 8 ohms nominal. Yes, you are correct, and I would not attempt driving anything under a 6 ohm nominal speaker with this configuration.

As I said earlier, I have had this exact set-up, for over 11 years now, with no ill effects. In fact, under "normal" conditions, you'd be hard pressed to get anything other than the "Power On/Idling" LED's to illuminate on either amp. With MOST cd's, these amps are hardly even cruising let alone being stressed.
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:01 pm

Luc, listen the original Amazings are just as good as the Platinums. I have a pair and my buddy has platinums. Mine are every bit as good if not better. In my mind the only reason Carver made the Platinums was to get a more efficient speaker. If you have lots of power I'm sure you'll be happy with them, Bonne Chance.
<<

TroyD

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:32 am

I've also wondered about the differences in the original Amazings vs. the later versions. I've got a pair of the original Amazings and think they are at least in the same ballpark as the Platinums. They definately are power hungry but that's the only drawback that I see so far.

BDT

Return to Carver Home (Audio)