It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:27 am

One-of-a-kind Carver Silver Signature build

<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: One-of-a-kind Carver Silver Signature build

My power supply caps have arrived!

Here is a photo of left and right channel PS caps. The 7Up can is again for reference. The brown caps a the bottom of photo are the Duelund output coupling caps and feedback caps for the amp.
Attachments
PS Caps.jpg
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:44 pm

Here is closer view of the PS caps.
Attachments
PS Caps 2.jpg
PS Caps 1.jpg
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:46 pm

The biggest PS cap is bare aluminum can because the factory does not make the blue shrink wrap in this size. Enjoy!
Attachments
PS Caps 3.jpg
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:49 pm

Forgot to mention all the PS caps are FILM caps...no electrolytics in this amp.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:20 pm

A little update on my amp project. I've done a lot of reading and asking about output transformer designs. I initially wanted nickel C-core transformer with pie silver wire, which like many audiophiles thought this type is the best one can get. Boy was I wrong! I now realize transformer design is part science and part art. The art part is usually buried in secrecy by the individual transformer designer. No one wants to give away his secret recipe. An excellent transformer can be designed without resorting to exotic metals and winding technique. Nickel has drawbacks besides cost, including a resonance peak and nonlinearity compared to the best high grade steel. C-core is not necessarily the best geometry for a core. And silver wire, besides the current astronomical price, doesn't seem to have the benefits I thought. Benefits of pie winding can be achieved by interlaced layer winding. So now I'm looking into the more traditional E-I lamination using ultra thin laminations of M3 steel from a guy who has been designing transformers since the 70's. Bob will specify the parameters for the transformer. The secondary winding may have Litz copper wire or silver wire. The primary winding will be copper. More later...
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:23 pm

A little update on my amp project. I've done a lot of reading and asking about output transformer designs. I initially wanted nickel C-core transformer with pie winding using silver wire, which like many audiophiles thought this type is the best one can get. Boy was I wrong! I now realize transformer design is part science and part art. The art part is usually buried in secrecy by the individual transformer designer. No one wants to give away his secret recipe. An excellent transformer can be designed without resorting to exotic metals and winding technique. Nickel has drawbacks besides cost, including resonance peak and nonlinearity compared to the best high grade steel. C-core is not necessarily the best geometry for a core. And silver wire, besides the current astronomical price, doesn't seem to have the benefits I thought. Benefits of pie winding can be achieved by interlaced layer winding. So now I'm looking into the more traditional E-I lamination using ultra thin laminations of M3 steel from a guy who has been designing transformers since the 70's. Bob will specify the parameters for the transformer. The secondary winding may have Litz copper wire or silver wire. The primary winding will be copper. More later...
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:36 pm

Based on discussions with Bob and the transformer designer, we have opted to implement two smaller 250 watt output transformers per channel instead of one 500 watt transformer. Benefits are two fold; frequency response is extended farther and transient response improves.
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:03 pm

so this would be 4 output Trans?

cool... :D
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Dr K wrote:The biggest PS cap is bare aluminum can because the factory does not make the blue shrink wrap in this size. Enjoy!

SHIT!!! that's a cap!!! :shock:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Doc,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Now those are some Caps!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:23 am

Dr K wrote:Based on discussions with Bob and the transformer designer, we have opted to implement two smaller 250 watt output transformers per channel instead of one 500 watt transformer. Benefits are two fold; frequency response is extended farther and transient response improves.

Interesting. Never knew that was an option. In fact, I've never seen 2 output transformers used for one channel (except in stereo converted to monoblock).

What about power transformers?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:55 am

Thanks everyone for your continued support and interest in this project. :D

Yes, my amp will have two output transformers per channel. This is not done commercially because it is more costly and complicated to put together, but I think the benefits outweigh the increase in cost and complexity for a custom build. For example, there is about 33% increase in cost of the transformers.

As for power transformers, AFIK there is no benefit of having multiple transformers. A single power transformer per channel with different windings for required voltages seems sufficient to me. Toroidal power transformers seem to be better suited because of lower noise and more compact size than a comparable E-I or C-core power transformer.

I would entertain any of your thoughts on how this amp should look... layout of tube, transformers, chassis work, color, etc.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:52 am

Check out the way Mike changed the configuration of the CarverFest tube amps to prevent interaction between the output transformers:

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=15063&p=173436&hilit=tube#p173436

TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:20 am

Wouldn't it be easier to just use mu metal for magnetic shielding inside the transformer covers? :-k
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:45 am

Placing the transformers to minimize interaction may be better method than shielding with mu metal. Some argue shielding distorts the magnetic field of the transformer and degrades the sound.
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)