FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:30 am

Bob Carver -- Mike Beam

<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Bob Carver -- Mike Beam

It is incredible to see photos of the amps Mike is building on the Caverfest design.

There were a lot of guys at CarverFest building, but on day one I saw there was Bob Carver and Mike.. There was no way a guy like me could do that. My job became to encourage and carry water and beer to the guys. I did it 24/7, had fun and learned a lot. No one visiting Cabin 5 wanted for anything.

I gave Mike $1K in $20 bills to build mine the first day I met him. At the time it seemed like a fair deal.

Neither of us saw the problems ahead, so now I owe Mike more more $$. I am good for it.

The design was flawed and needed new thinking and the many upgrades that have come to light over the last year.

The amps Mike is building will be the best of the best. Anyone here doubt that?

From one Biker to another --> Thanks Mike
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Bob Carver -- Mike Beam

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:38 pm

:D :D :D =D>
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0002
Bone Stock Lightstar
Vintage Hi-Fi modified Lightstar
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
More Douglas cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:20 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:It is incredible to see photos of the amps Mike is building on the Caverfest design.
There were a lot of guys at CarverFest building, but on day one I saw there was Bob Carver and Mike..

Double OO,

If you would have watched me more, you would have learned how to burn yourself with a soldering gun! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Don wrote:
OconeeOrange wrote:It is incredible to see photos of the amps Mike is building on the Caverfest design.
There were a lot of guys at CarverFest building, but on day one I saw there was Bob Carver and Mike..

Double OO,

If you would have watched me more, you would have learned how to burn yourself with a soldering gun! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:38 pm

KEEP STROKIN' THAT EGO BILL!!!!

RIP BillD
BillD wrote:Well, some people are glass half empty people and some are glass half full. Being an engineer, I just think the glass is the wrong size.

My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Modified Carver AL III+'s (Pushed into the corners to make room for the ALS speakers)
Modified CarverFest 2011 20w tube amplifier
Carver Pro PT-1800
Sunfire Prototype TGA-2375
Carver TX-2 Tuner (not used)
Logitech Squeezebox (replaced Tuner & dad's CD player)
CARVERaudio Directional RCA interconnects
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Ok, that last post was a little harsh....

Bill, without going out and buying the new transformers (the ones bob c and bob f will not sell you) the only things that can be done are the mods in which bob c and tubular joe have provided, along with the transformer mount modification the I GAVE mike.

Therefore, of mike had built them as i think he has, for i was there when he was working on the first, i must inform you, they may sound better, but your amps put out LESS power than everyone elses, BUT (if mike did what i think he did) you can do more tube rolling.

All in all, your amp will not be any "better" or even the "best" of the CF amps.... Thus why my first post was posted....

As for everyone else, i higly suggest taking/semding your amps to a buddy who can work on them and have Joe's Plate Voltage Mod and the 12AX7 Conversion Mod done to your amplifiers. It makes a world of difference, BUT you may/will lose 2-4 watts in the process.

Mike, if you see this, please post photos of the Transformer Bracket Mod that you and i discussed, that worked great for cutting out the hum.
RIP BillD
BillD wrote:Well, some people are glass half empty people and some are glass half full. Being an engineer, I just think the glass is the wrong size.

My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Modified Carver AL III+'s (Pushed into the corners to make room for the ALS speakers)
Modified CarverFest 2011 20w tube amplifier
Carver Pro PT-1800
Sunfire Prototype TGA-2375
Carver TX-2 Tuner (not used)
Logitech Squeezebox (replaced Tuner & dad's CD player)
CARVERaudio Directional RCA interconnects
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:36 pm

only in my wildest dreams could I ever imagine myself on the same level as Bob, when it comes to electronic design and the related that goes with that.
hell, Bob has probably forgotten more than I could ever dream of ever knowing.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

think of me as the Chinese, I copy real good...... :D
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:41 pm

AlexSauter wrote:Ok, that last post was a little harsh....

Bill, without going out and buying the new transformers (the ones bob c and bob f will not sell you) the only things that can be done are the mods in which bob c and tubular joe have provided, along with the transformer mount modification the I GAVE mike.

Therefore, of mike had built them as i think he has, for i was there when he was working on the first, i must inform you, they may sound better, but your amps put out LESS power than everyone elses, BUT (if mike did what i think he did) you can do more tube rolling.

All in all, your amp will not be any "better" or even the "best" of the CF amps.... Thus why my first post was posted....

As for everyone else, i higly suggest taking/semding your amps to a buddy who can work on them and have Joe's Plate Voltage Mod and the 12AX7 Conversion Mod done to your amplifiers. It makes a world of difference, BUT you may/will lose 2-4 watts in the process.

Mike, if you see this, please post photos of the Transformer Bracket Mod that you and i discussed, that worked great for cutting out the hum.

Hey Buddy!
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:05 am

AlexSauter wrote:Mike, if you see this, please post photos of the Transformer Bracket Mod that you and i discussed, that worked great for cutting out the hum.

Hey Mike, are you wanting to sell a couple of the brackets?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:48 pm

I am in for 4 if you decide to sell them Mike
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:51 pm

hewlew1 wrote:I am in for 4 if you decide to sell them Mike

two for you and two for me - how sweet! Would make a perfect Christmas gift for your favorite pain in the ass.
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:16 pm

AlexSauter wrote:Ok, that last post was a little harsh....

Not at all, just fun on the web.
These amps and amp builds are not about my ego.

I am sure the ones you built for guys are great. Mike now has the experience of all the knowledge gained by many over the last year. Apparently some others here are eager to pick his brain and update theirs. That is what friends on a forum are for.

That is all I meant to say, sorry if the translation got lost.

Return to Carver Home (Audio)