FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:48 pm

Carver pre's/recievers - whats the prefered model?

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:08 pm

Carver pre's/recievers - whats the prefered model?

Got a free TT from a forum member on another site. Looking long term at building a little vintage system and of course want to go Carver if possible. Not looking to buy now (unless its super cheap) but looking at a pre or a receiver to basically handle a TT. I dont know how many Carver products can do optical or coaxial so I would probably have a separate USB DAC for my computer, and whatever CD player (if any) I had.

Just wanted to know what I should look out for. I hear the C-19's with BillD mod's are good, and maybe the C-1's but know jack about any of the others.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Re: Carver pre's/recievers - whats the prefered model?

i can't tell you what is great, although i can say that the ct-29 was at the lower end of my carver desires. the surround had a bad hiss no matter what, and the 2 channel was so-so. i moved on at the time to my sonic frontier and it was an open and shut case. i don't even remember what happened to that pre. i think i swapped it for some car audio 15 years ago. i did really enjoy the c1 from richp on the road show. the tube pre from sunfire is nice. on some stuff, it was better than the sonic and then on others stuff it was not.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:42 pm

My guess is the C-1 will give you the best bang for your buck. You can find them on Ebay for around $100.00 - $150.00.

They are really good!

If you are interested the TGP sunfires are coming down in price & my TGP III is the best 2 channel pre I've had, Also a great HT. Both have good TT capability.

just my .02.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Agree with Frankie...the C-1...C-11 will provide more than expected in this price range and are still among the most prized pre amps that Carver produced...I ran a C-11 ( newer version of the C-1 ) last year at Carverfest and got many compliments off of it....
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:38 pm

kingman wrote:..I ran a C-11 ( newer version of the C-1 ) last year at Carverfest and got many compliments off of it....

The C-11 did sound very good in Kingman's set-up. The "room acoustic treatments" were a most important part of the puzzle. :rolleyes:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:22 pm

Don wrote:
kingman wrote:..I ran a C-11 ( newer version of the C-1 ) last year at Carverfest and got many compliments off of it....

The C-11 did sound very good in Kingman's set-up. The "room acoustic treatments" were a most important part of the puzzle. :rolleyes:

I remember the pictures! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:59 pm

Don is still trying to get royaities off that.... :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Return to Carver Home (Audio)