FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:43 pm

carver ct-17 versus ct-23

<<

carverdude

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:11 pm

carver ct-17 versus ct-23

i have a ct- 23 that sounds greate, but recently got a ct-17 because i heard it was better...

is it really?

ct-17 is older model, and orig price was more than the msrp of the ct-23

ct-17 has more features, but ive read reviews that say it doesnt sound as good..

thoughts?
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: carver ct-17 versus ct-23

I've had both and consider them about the same. Of the CT series the CT-7 was my favorite, excellent holography and 3 separate tone controls, bass, midrange and treble.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:29 am

I have never heard the CT 17 or the 23. They are what they are IMO. The beginning of home theater age of preamps. From what I know of Bob Carver he was always keeping up with the new technology but always keeping with the tradition of 2 channel. You can see it in his Sunfire TGP series. I know of that because I own the original TGP and it is an above average preamp that will do HT and 2 channel very well.

IMO if you really want one of Carver's better preamps, look for a C400, C1, C11, C16, C19 or the Sunfire Classic tube preamp. Also you might want to look at a Phase Liner but I have never had one but I have heard nothing but good feedback. That is if you want a 2 channel system. If you want HT with good 2 channel look for a Sunfire. It will give you DD and DTS and will work well in stereo mode.

I hope this will help in your search of a preamp. If you want to talk more, pm me or talk to Tom, forum member that goes by beemers417. Look up his number at http://vintagehifipgh.com/. He is a very good reference for Bob Carver and other preamps than anyone else I know of.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:55 am

I'm using a CT-17 now in my bedroom system. I'm mainly using it for the remote, but it is a very adequate pre. I don't like the way the sonic holigraphy engages , but after it is on it's OK. I agree with Thuffman, the C-1, C-11, or one of the tubed pre amps are the better choice just for sound quality. I disagree that the Phase Linear pre amps are any better from my experience even though I will use one for nostalgic reasons.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:19 pm

What about a C-2?
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:35 pm

There are obviously a lot of choices out there, it really depends on what you're looking to use it for, what features or options you want and of course how much you can spend. The C-1, C-11 are excellent but lack a built in tuner and remote options. I really don't believe them to be leaps and bounds better then some of the early CT models that do have these features. The C-16 and C-19 on the other hand are both incredible sounding Carver preamps. But again, depending on what you plan on using them for may not be a right fit. No remote, no tuner, no digital inputs and strictly 2 channel stereo. Plus, these command a much higher price then your average Carver preamp, edging towards and some times exceeding the Sunfire pres.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

reummisioli

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:06 am

re:GarderobeMaster

read twice , but could not understand. yet read it, but honey agarics that does not understand , I'll go have a smoke
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:50 am

Re: re:GarderobeMaster

reummisioli wrote:read twice , but could not understand. yet read it, but honey agarics that does not understand , I'll go have a smoke

Noticed subject topic has changed from original CT-17,CT-23 to "Garderobemaster" when I quote and now links underneath name. Sorry if I accuse the innocent, bit is this a spammer in disguise?

I would caution everyone about clicking on links until we are more familiar with these indiviual and motives. :-k
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:02 am

I think this guy is a spammer. I dont know why they call them spammers. Spam is pork shoulder and ham, I like spam fried with eggs. Should call them scrapplers as scrapple is made from all the discusting parts of a pig :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

Return to Carver Home (Audio)