Page 2 of 13

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:31 am
by engtaz
Share with me George :D

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:55 am
by Zoot Horn
I will Roy,, I'll post comments/outcome when I get done-- still waiting on parts,,basically I', swapping 4 caps in each amp.

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:44 am
by Zoot Horn
Auricaps in!!

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:08 pm
by Magnaryder
Zoot Horn wrote:Auricaps in!!
Looks good George! How's it sound?

ray

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:21 pm
by Zoot Horn
Dunno Ray,, I'm rebuilding/upgrading the crossovers on my speakers as well-- I'll let ya'll know tomorrow.

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:39 pm
by Magnaryder
Zoot Horn wrote:Dunno Ray,, I'm rebuilding/upgrading the crossovers on my speakers as well-- I'll let ya'll know tomorrow.
What are you upgrading in the speakers George?

ray

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:53 pm
by Zoot Horn
Ray,, I'm replacing the caps with Clarity ESA's and the cement resistors with Mills wirewound 1%. I think it will be a huge improvement-- will know in about a week(waiting on resistors).Oh yeas,, I'm replacing the internal wiring too.

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:00 pm
by Magnaryder
Zoot Horn wrote:Ray,, I'm replacing the caps with Clarity ESA's and the cement resistors with Mills wirewound 1%. I think it will be a huge improvement-- will know in about a week(waiting on resistors).Oh yeas,, I'm replacing the internal wiring too.
That sounds like the formula TREX is planning on using so I guess you're talking about the Tylers? The Obbligatos made a HUGE difference in the Fortes.

ray

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:15 pm
by Zoot Horn
Already did the Tylers last year-- these are the smaller custom jobbies that I brought the last two years--and this year I ain't bringing nothing but tube gear,,different pre,,different amps,,different cables,etc!

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:25 pm
by Magnaryder
Zoot Horn wrote:Already did the Tylers last year-- these are the smaller custom jobbies that I brought the last two years--and this year I ain't bringing nothing but tube gear,,different pre,,different amps,,different cables,etc!
I always look forward to listening to your rig.

ray

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:50 pm
by Zoot Horn
Ray,, I always look forward to seeing old friends and making new ones! Trust me,, September cannot get here soon enough!!

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:37 pm
by Zoot Horn
OK just got it back in the mis today--so I'm gonna' let the caps burn in before I comment--but my first impression is--nice--smooth--very liquid-- more to come.

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:59 pm
by Zoot Horn
oh yeah,,, the tone man,, the tone! I'm lovin' the auri's in this amp!

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:04 pm
by Magnaryder
Zoot Horn wrote:oh yeah,,, the tone man,, the tone! I'm lovin' the auri's in this amp!
Details Bro', details!!! Let's hear all about it.

ray

Re: CF Amp Mods

Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:10 pm
by radioeng2
Those of you with a thirst for more about the EL84's, you should check out all the info here...

http://www.jumpjet.info/Pioneering-Wire ... /VTV08.pdf

And if that isn't enough for your never ending quest for more info on tubes of other types, the VTV magazine while it lasted, was just full of great articles that went in depth on other specific tube types. Like EL34's, 6V6's, 12AX7's, 6550/KT88's and so on. This page would be an excellent one for the DIY section for sure....

http://www.jumpjet.info/Pioneering-Wire ... TV/vtv.htm

Mark