FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:18 am

Fun with a C4000

<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:59 am

Fun with a C4000

Got my hands on a messed up C 4000 autocorrelation pre that needs a ton of work. My intent is to go through it, replacing all the caps and cleaning everything with Deoxit. This thing was ridden hard and put away wet, wreaking of smoke and maybe other substances, but it was damn near free and was working ok, so what the hell.

I am also building a new case for it, using granite once again for the faceplate and top cover with brushed aluminum for the sides. I will also be using a crystal acrylic nameplate once again that should look pretty cool set against the granite. A new rear plate is also being made for new RCA inputs/outputs and an EIC connector. I will be keeping rack handles of some kind, but think they will be integrated with the side panels...
I am also thinking of integrating a tube buffer into the mix on the output side of things.
Any suggestions, tips or other input will be greatly appreciated. When this is done this pre should look like it was built specifically for my tube amps. Let the fun begin!
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:37 am

Re: Fun with a C4000

That sounds like some fun. It would be cool if you could get the tube board inside and have the tubes sticking out the top of your custom made chassis.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0002
Bone Stock Lightstar
Vintage Hi-Fi modified Lightstar
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
More Douglas cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:51 pm

Bob confirmed that a tube buffer placed in-line with the output stage is not only do-able, but will make this preamp even better that they already are. I cannot wait to get this pre into the rig.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Congrats, sounds like a fun project and perfect match to your statements!! =D> =D>
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15

Return to Carver Home (Audio)