FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:52 pm

sunfire signature has no earth/ground?

<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:08 pm

Re: sunfire signature has no earth/ground?

Effect. Go read a dictionary.

It's a pity that you can't contribute anything meaningful to a technical thread.
Do us all a favor and remove the ground wires on all of your gear.
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:11 am

bob p wrote:Effect. Go read a dictionary.

It's a pity that you can't contribute anything meaningful to a technical thread.
Do us all a favor and remove the ground wires on all of your gear.

Actually, you're dead wrong. Let me suggest that you spend some time with that dictionary.
Many people have trouble with affect/effect. It's really no different than the misunderstanding that people have about ground vs neutral.
As you can see, no one likes to have their nose rubbed in their mistakes. It's a shame that as intelligent as you are, you didn't get that out of my post.
Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:47 pm

Hey Martin, take note: everyone needs an electronics expert to fix an amplifier but nobody needs a linguistics expert to fix an amplifier. Your commentary isn't even germane to the thread. You're in the wrong forum. You should be looking for a linguistics forum.

Stop and think about this for a minute -- when you attack an expert who gives out free technical advice, and you give him a rash of guff for taking the time to help someone, he gets pissed off, and then the forum stops getting free repair advice. You've just screwed everyone. Was it worth it?

Bye.
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:05 pm

bob p wrote:Stop and think about this for a minute -- when you attack an expert who gives out free technical advice, and you give him a rash of guff for taking the time to help someone, he gets pissed off, and then the forum stops getting free repair advice. You've just screwed everyone. Was it worth it?

Unfortunately, in case you didn't know, every audiophile is an expert. That said, you should expect to be attacked as well as to take a lot of guff. Yes, we are human and we get irritated, but the decision to stop offering free advice is yours. YOU'VE just screwed everyone. Lighten up - life is too short and being jacked shortens it even more, not to mention the negative impact on your social life.

Be Cool. Enjoy the fun this hobby has to offer.

P.S. This is a test. What is the device pictured in your avatar and who developed it commercially? No fair cheating!
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:58 pm

A Nixy tube. Used on early calculators/computers. The brand name escapes me now, but we had one back at OSU in the late 60's early 70's...

Think it was a Wang...
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:23 pm

elgrau wrote:A Nixy tube. Used on early calculators/computers. The brand name escapes me now, but we had one back at OSU in the late 60's early 70's...

Think it was a Wang...

Not bad. It's actually spelled nixie tube, and they were developed by Burroughs for use in cash registers in the '60's, as well as being sold as components to other manufacturers for use in their own designs.
<<

surdo

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:26 pm

OK – the sunfire arrived! When I first looked at the plug that's sticking out of the lead-stub from the amp, I realised there actually *is* an earth pin – but that is seems to have been cut in half – or perhaps this type of plug is just like that. I got a bit animated with this, thinking I'd got lucky with a European union, bath/sauna-friendly version of the sunfire, but it wasn't to be. I opened up the plug and the wires coming from the stub are two thick black and white leads, there's no earth wire. I didn't feel like opening the box – maybe another day.

The good news is that the amp works and works very well. I've recently bought two pairs of monitors: Tannoy System 12 DMT IIs and JBL 4312As. I wish I had a different amp to compare with them but I don't – my other system is a pair of active monitors. Of the speakers, the Tannoys are the clear winners for me but the JBLs sound super nice, a less bass and a little harder to differentiate the instruments when compared to the Tannoys. Presently the speakers are constricted in a small space and are no more than a metre and a half apart – so the sound field isn't as spacious as it could be – that will improve when I move house in a month or two.

I'm listening to a few different things – so far a Schubert octet and a Bebel Gilberto album both on CD through an RME interface and the rest on vinyl – Ed Motta, Captain Beefheart's Clear Spot, João Donato, old mono LPs – lots in quick succession. The big thing I'm noticing is the dynamics – clear in the classical of course – but the Ed Motta was really interesting. He's a soul/jazz/funk musician who, in recent years, isn't using any compression on anything – voice, live drums, horns, nothing. I'd noticed this before on my old system – but with this, it's another thing altogether - very live sounding. The LPs are performing far better than I expected too – for me, no contest – I prefer their sound through this system and my pre-amp is very crude (the turntable is OK, a basic 'project' model).

So, I'm happy – although still unearthed and no doubt ungrounded....

Cheers,
<<

fill35U

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:30 pm

Glad it arrived safely, and in working condition! \:D/

But to keep *you* and your loved ones, guests, etc., safe and working condition, you really should take the cover off NOW and let us know what you find in terms of connections to the chassis. Some pics would help, too!

There was much heated discussion on this thread, because electrical safety is such an important and complex topic. You can't listen to music when you're dead....

What kind of power outlet are you plugging this into? Pics would help here, too...
Current setup: Random Naked Amps Piled on Floor and/or Wedged Into Shelves

Don't call amp mutilators "butchers"- butchers are highly skilled professionals.
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:18 pm

Safety first, always! I will sacrifice quality if necessary when it comes to safety. Foolish to do otherwise. But the funny thing is, usually when you do it all in the right way, you don't have to sacrifice the safety anyway!

Hey, trivial fact. On those JBL 4312's, the woofer runs unfiltered. It's a full range drive to it. And second trivial info, if you turn the pot on the face down all the way, you totally mute the drive to the mid. I played for a while with a stacked pair of them.

Mark
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Since you're clearly the smartest guy in the universe, I'm sure you just put that there to see it we were paying attention.

Hey Martin, Did you put it there to see if we were paying attention. I get a Fuckin A
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:30 pm

hewlew1 wrote:Since you're clearly the smartest guy in the universe, I'm sure you just put that there to see it we were paying attention.

Hey Martin, Did you put it there to see if we were paying attention. I get a Fuckin A

I'm not afraid to admit my mistakes. ;)

Anyway, no A for you. You heard Professor p...

English class ended right after he criticized Angelo for not properly quoting him.
Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:41 pm

English class ended right after linguistics class. All fixed Martin, I try to excel in English as that was the class that caused me not to Gradiate Hi School.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:18 pm

hewlew1 wrote:Since you're clearly the smartest guy in the universe, I'm sure you just put that there to see it we were paying attention.

Harry my friend, you get a fucking eh!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Magnaryder wrote:

Harry my friend, you get a fucking eh!

ray

My excuse is i was born in greece, so greek is my first language, thus ......fuck off, fuck off, fuck off..........
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:48 pm

Oh....NO!!

Another fuckin' foreigner in our midst!!
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)