FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:33 am

TFM-35 bridged inputs?

<<

purgatory

Post Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:40 pm

TFM-35 bridged inputs?

I am using a TFM as a sub amp, but due to the impedance presented by a variety of subs I need to run the amp in non-bridged mode (If I go to mono- bridged I will have a 2 ohm load which I don't believe the TFM 35 can support(?). Anyway, I only have a single RCA sub input from the A/V receiver. Is it ok to split this into the 2 inputs that the TFM35 needs? In other words, this would parallel the inputs - I don't know if the TFM 35 is ok with this or not...
thanks
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:19 pm

Re: TFM-35 bridged inputs?

Yes you can use a RCA "Y" cord from the receiver to both inputs on the amp.
But the RCA's are not really your issue...

To answer your question correctly, we would need to know what sub"s" you are using?

Are you using 1 or 2 sub drivers?
Single or dual voice coil drivers ?
What is the DCR of each driver/coil ?

Those questions need to be answered 1st to help give you truly informed answer.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

purgatory

Post Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:58 pm

There are currently 4 subs hooked up. 2 outdoor Niles GSS10, and 2 indoor 12" pioneers that are about 20 years old. All 4 are 8 ohm, single voice coil. One of the Niles and one of the pioneer are driven in parallel by 1 channel, and the other Niles & other pioneer by the other channel. Sometimes we have all 4 on, sometimes just 2. The amp is occasionally going into protect at high volumes, and seems to do so more often when just driving one (either) set of subs. Maybe this amp prefers a 4 ohm load rather than 8 ohm? It doesn't seem to be heat related, as sometimes it happens immediately after power on. Other times, all is fine for an hour, then it happens. It comes right out of protect after a few seconds, but unless you turn the volume down it will go back in. The RCA inputs are currently bridged through the Y splitter as previously described.
<<

purgatory

Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:57 am

There are a total of 4 x 8 ohm subs. 2 Niles GSS10 outdoor subs, and 2 x 20 year old pioneer 12" subs mounted in same cabinet. All 4 subs are single coil, 8 ohms. Sometimes we switch on only the outdoor subs, sometimes only the indoor subs sometimes both. The outdoor subs are paralleled with the indoor ones, So the TFM 35 sees 4 ohms / channel when all 4 are on, and 8 ohms when only 2 are on. 12 gauge speaker cable, total runs are around 100' on each channel. I thought the amp would be happy with those impedances, but it occasionally goes into protect at high volumes. Doesn't appear to be heat related, because it happens when amp is hot or cold. Strangely it seems to happen more frequently with the 8 ohm (2 sub) load than with the 4 ohm (4 subs) load. I was asking about the input because it is the only thing I can think of that might be a problem (the Y splitter bridging the RCA inputs).
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Might be time for a recap. Four ohms per channel is fine on a tfm35.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

Return to Carver Home (Audio)