Don't underestimate the value of the proper belt

Carver Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
sea
TFM-35

Don't underestimate the value of the proper belt

Post by sea » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:20 am

Like many, I had been reluctant to order the proper belts for my CD players. I have been working on three DTL era players for several weeks and all have had severe tracking problems. One even refused to spin the disc all. I disassembled them all the way down to the rail that moves the laser so I could clean and lubricate it. I also removed the motor from the one that would not spin. The motor turned out to be OK when I tested with a AA Battery. Anyway, after all this work the problems persisted. I had early on replaced both the drawer slide belt and the laser carriage belt with small rubber bands. all were severely dry and loose. I know many of you do the same so don't be rolling those eyes.

I broke down and ordered 8 new belts from StudioSound for an outrageous sum of $2 each. I think even wih shipping it was only about $23. Well......they are work perfectly now. I think the rubber bands were slipping or either causing a jerky motion due to being tight. Of course, on the drawer belt, it either opens or not.

On the other site there is thread with a chart that lists most of the proper belt sizes by player model number.

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Re: Don't underestimate the value of the proper belt

Post by kingman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:00 am

Glad you got them up and working!!! =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Return to “Carver Home (Audio)”