Carver M500T owners please

Carver Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
QMercury

Carver M500T owners please

Post by QMercury » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:29 am

Hi,
Can y'all tell me what kind of fuse you are using? I had my amp refreshed not long ago. It stopped working not long after getting it back. The fuse is blown. I am so hoping that is the main trouble.

What I have is a 10A 250v 312..I have not been able to find this in a slow blow.

Suggestions would be most appreciated.

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Re: Carver M500T owners please

Post by kingman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:00 pm

It's a 10 amp fuse. I would bet there is more wrong than the fuse but if I were you a fast blow fuse would be sufficient to let me know if the amp needed further servicing. Try one with the same values and let us know.

Here's a link to one on Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/QUALITY-BUSSMANN- ... e+10a+250v
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:53 pm

Just to say it....upping the value or changing to slower blowing over what's original is NOT a good idea.

If it's the original value and it blows, then something is wrong and you may make repairs much worse to fix if you randomly up it or slow it's protection. I'm not familiar with the turn on surge to be able to address the slow versus fast part.

Hopefully one fuse change to the correct fixes. If not, then hope you're recent enough on the refresh to get it looked at without major charges. Good luck with it!

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

QMercury

Post by QMercury » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:50 am

Kingman, I've ordered the one you suggested. I actually think there is probably more to it than that too. I'd like to avoid shipping it back and figured it was worth a shot.

Thank you all so much. I'll let you know what happens.

kingman

Post by kingman » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:30 pm

QMercury wrote:Kingman, I've ordered the one you suggested. I actually think there is probably more to it than that too. I'd like to avoid shipping it back and figured it was worth a shot.

Thank you all so much. I'll let you know what happens.
Let us know what happens...BTW that is a sweet price on a five pack of those fuses! Good luck! [-o<

QMercury

Post by QMercury » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:12 pm

I thought that was a sweet deal too...too sweet not to give it a try. I won't go any further on repairs than that. I know nothing about the innards. It is still under warranty.

I've wondered what caused this. The guy that did the refresh (got 2 upgrades too) has a good reputation. I have no doubt he knows what he's doing.

I've been using a ct-24 pre amp in the past. While the amp was in the shop, I came across a good deal on a Sunfire Grand Processor that I couldn't resist. That's what I hooked it up to. Is it possible that they are not compatible?

The Sunfire is hooked to a TFM-6CB now. They are getting along very well.

kingman

Post by kingman » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:20 pm

No, that would not have caused the fuse to blow unless you had them hooked up wrong.

QMercury

Post by QMercury » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:06 am

Well...though the new fuse did get the power back on, it cured nothing else.

It makes sort of a buzzing sound, which is what it did before the fuse blew.

It didn't make sense to me that the Sunfire would damage it, but I thought maybe with the age and technology difference...thanks for letting me know that I didn't break it

Thanks y'all O:)

Return to “Carver Home (Audio)”