FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:21 am

Carver C-5 Preamp Question....

<<

epilespaul

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:35 pm

Carver C-5 Preamp Question....

Im the guy that scored the Carver Preamp and TFM-35 Power Amp
Ive hooked up the C-5 Preamp to my existing system and I swear I cant hear any difference in the sound as I kick in the sonic holography button on the preamp....what gives? Whats this "Sonic Holography " supposed to do? thanks , Dan #-o
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:57 pm

It depends on what kind of system you have inserted it into. If you stuck it into a surround system, then yes, the effects of the hologram generator may be hard to distinguish. ESPECIALLY if the speakers are not set up properly.

If you're using just a basic two-channel system, the listening position must be exactly equidistant from both speakers. That being done, sit in the listening position, make sure you are feeding the preamp a stereo signal (it doesn't process mono), and have somebody else switch the hologram generator in and out. When properly set up, the hologram generator throws a soundstage that is much wider than the physical confines of the speakers. When properly set-up, the hologram generator can actually throw images BEHIND you, in addition to well out to the sides. It injects a certain amount of front to back depth as well. Indispensible tool in my estimation.
<<

epilespaul

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:55 pm

Carver Preamp question/reply

Thats awesome ...see I have a Recording studio setup in my home Im powering a set of Polk Monitor Two's for basically Mids and Tweets and have them set up about 6 feet apart from each other above my main mixing console...and throwing bass to a homemade sub below my desk w/ 2 12" JBL's ...Im thinking it would be awesome to record in Sonic Holography ..hee hee..wonder if it would encode to my digital recordings?

Thanks a bunch for the info.. I plan to experiment with this thing a bit..

Dan

Return to Carver Home (Audio)