FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:50 am

Opinion on av-806x? Bridging specs?

<<

Big Nate

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:15 pm

I have a AV-806x as part of a Carver system I will be retiring. I recently purchased Sony's Top of the line ES 9000 receiver to save space on my separates, rather than having them stacked on a pedestal talking up quit a bit space (the wife hates it)

I actually have never bridged my unit, however I have bi-wired my AL-III+’s speakers. Let's just say this, I have thoroughly enjoyed my AV-806x amp, in my opinion it actually out performs my new Digital Drive 200 x 7 WPC , 7.1 Sony receiver. This unit has considerable dynamic headroom when demanded. Having directly compared the two, I am extremely impressed with what Carver put together years ago.
I don’t drive my units loud for extended periods of time, but I have been really impressed with its power range, warmth & drive characteristics.

The only reason it’s no longer my primary power source, is because I need the space with my new large screen TV, which has limited space with the stands that’s built to hold the TV.

I have had my unit for 5 years and it has never let me down once, never blew a fuse and never produced audible distortion. Given the fact that I was driving probably a pair of the least efficient speakers out there, I’d say you can’t go wrong with this unit. I can only imagine what it sounds like bridged into two channels. Any you’re right, when bridged into two channels you are looking at close to 400 wpc.
Big Nate from Chicago
<<

danw2002

Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:12 pm

Re: Opinion on av-806x? Bridging specs?

i have a custom 3 channel amp that i made out of 6 806 modules. these are tuff little amps, and are mostly limited by the output of the transformer they used. i did custom 2 toral transformers(one for each 3 modules) and my amp puts out 500x3 into 8 ohms, RMS, 1000x3 peak....and yes they can be bridged on the 806...would have to look at my service book to remember how, eme if you need to know.....

alpha6164 wrote:I am interested in the 806, but it has been almost impossible to find any info or review on this product. How old is this unit? Should I stay away from such an old production. From some bits and pieces it seems as though it is a great amp and won many awards when it came out and one of the magazines mentioned it as using it as a reference amp. I am mostly interested in bridging it to a 3-ch and powering my front L/R/C. I know it puts out 133wpcs, but what is it bridged? I read somewhere that its is ~360bridged X3. I thought when you bridge two channels the power doubles not triple? All inputs appreciated. Thanks.
Dan Williams
carver nut,
who lives only
a few miles from
their old office....

Return to Carver Home (Audio)