FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:23 am

What are the differences between the Carver ribbon speakers?

<<

progets

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:55 pm

What are the differences between the Carver ribbon speakers?

I was hoping that someone could point out the differences between the Carver ribbon speakers. As far as I know there were Silvers, Platinums and AKs. How many versions of each of these are there? What are the differences between the versions? Do all the Silvers have 3 woofers and 48" ribbons while the Platinums have 4 woofers and 60" ribbons? Is there a way to tell apart the Original Platinums vs. the MK IV? Is there a way to tell apart the different version of the ALs and Silvers? Has anyone had the pleasure of hearing several of these that can comment on which they though were the best or how differently they sounded compared to the other versions and models? Do you guys recommend these speakers or do you think I'd be better off buying something different (I'm trying to spend less than $1500 on speakers)? Sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance for your help/advice.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:44 am

The original Amazings have two 30" ribbons, the Plats have one 60". Both have four 12" woofers. The Silver's have the 48" ribbon, three 12" woofers and they are shorter than the Amazings. The ALs are a totally different animal. IMO, the best are the Plats/Plats MKIV.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:02 am

a little info on the different speakers.

http://www.carveraudio.com/kapton.htm
<<

progets

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:52 am

Thanks for the information guys. It's very helpful. Should I steer clear of any of these models in particular because of inherent problems or are they all good performers?
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:17 pm

Well, the Originals only have a 85 dB efficiency rating making them a bear to drive.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:52 pm

Go for a set of Platinums... or 2nd a set of AL-III... If $$ isn't an issue, order a set of AL-V's from us \:D/

Return to Carver Home (Audio)