FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:32 am

Why not use PM series in the home??

<<

engtaz

User avatar

"TAZ"

Posts: 5190

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:43 pm

Location: Tampa, FL

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:30 am

Why not use PM series in the home??

I was wondering why PM series is not use in the home arena?

Thanks,
engtaz
<<

stereo_dog

User avatar

TFM-55

Posts: 727

Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:05 am

Location: Indiana

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:50 am

They are by several forum members. Get with bobp, he uses them.
(2) Silver Nine t's, TFM-4.0t, (4) M-500t, (2) M-1.0t, AV-705x, C-19, Sunfire TG-III, AL-III
<<

skip

User avatar

aka (Sasquach)

Posts: 1870

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:47 pm

Location: Gaston, S.C.

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:40 am

I've got two PM-300 amps I use on occasion. I like the PM amp series, they are built to take much more abuse and mine have gain controls which make them nice for sound control in the room.
<<

DJMARK

M-400t CUBE

Posts: 130

Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:00 pm

Location: Downers Grove/Normal Illinois

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:00 pm

I also wondered why the PM amps arent used in the home but they are considered "Professional Music" series amps for touring, mobile sound, and installed sound applications. They make lots of real wattage and sound excellent. I can only downfall that I can imagine is if there is a fan in them they might be too loud for home audio however I am quite scared of a PM amp being used inside. As they are very nice with a paif of effecient speakers. \:D/
All Carver Mobile DJ
Carver PM-175 ( X 2)
<<

bob p

User avatar

SILVER-7t

Posts: 1340

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Location: Chicago

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:17 pm

the PM amps are indeed more robust than their consumer grade counterparts. i use a pair of PM-1.5 to biamp my main listening rig. (they're swapped out right now for a monoamped M-500t that i've been "testing" for the past month after bringing it back from the dead.)

i replaced the original fans on the PM-1.5 with new OEM replacements, as the 20+ year old fans had noisy bearings. the new fan's have nice quiet bearings. i tweaked the fan control circuits to adjust the fan speeds so that they're quiet enough for home use, but speed up appropriately to augment cooling when the amps operate under load.

i can't see any reason not to use them. the only problem is that being racked devices, they have no feet, so you'll need to use stick-on bumpers to keep them from scratching one anther if you stack them instead of racking them. AV-Rizers aren't needed because the fans pull air from back to front instead of using passive cooling from bottom to top.
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

maddmaxxx

User avatar

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Posts: 2985

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:18 pm

Location: the World We Skate Our 'Choppers' Thru

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:10 pm

-but AVRizers look kuul on any amp
-do the pm amps have vents on the bottom ?
-i've been using 4"computer fans since aprox '95..they are real quite and i recomend them
-can barely hear the fans[2], when changing discs or source

-the tfm/75 has a fan too
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

engtaz

User avatar

"TAZ"

Posts: 5190

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:43 pm

Location: Tampa, FL

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:47 pm

I thought you could not stack [-X carver without AVRizers, fans or not?
<<

DJMARK

M-400t CUBE

Posts: 130

Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:00 pm

Location: Downers Grove/Normal Illinois

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:36 pm

maddmaxxx wrote:-but AVRizers look kuul on any amp
-do the pm amps have vents on the bottom ?
-i've been using 4"computer fans since aprox '95..they are real quite and i recomend them
-can barely hear the fans[2], when changing discs or source

-the tfm/75 has a fan too


On my PM 175, 350 and the vent is on top letting heat rise away from the heat sink.

The Pm1201 is fan cooled front to back or back to front. i forgot which.
All Carver Mobile DJ
Carver PM-175 ( X 2)
<<

bob p

User avatar

SILVER-7t

Posts: 1340

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Location: Chicago

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:25 pm

the PM-1.5 has the same basic chassis as the M-1.5t, so yes it has some vent holes on the bottom, because you have to remove an access panel to get to the power transistor sockets. But those vent holes are non-functional for the most part, as the cover for the amp is SOLID. There are NO ventilation holes on the top or sides of the PM amp like there are on the M amp. ALL of the air is drawn by the fan from back-to-front, which is the norm in rack mounted gear. Cool air in through the back of the rack, hot air out of the front.
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 6211

Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:00 pm

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:54 pm

bob p wrote:the PM amps are indeed more robust than their consumer grade counterparts. i use a pair of PM-1.5 to biamp my main listening rig. (they're swapped out right now for a monoamped M-500t that i've been "testing" for the past month after bringing it back from the dead.)

i replaced the original fans on the PM-1.5 with new OEM replacements, as the 20+ year old fans had noisy bearings. the new fan's have nice quiet bearings. i tweaked the fan control circuits to adjust the fan speeds so that they're quiet enough for home use, but speed up appropriately to augment cooling when the amps operate under load.

i can't see any reason not to use them. the only problem is that being racked devices, they have no feet, so you'll need to use stick-on bumpers to keep them from scratching one anther if you stack them instead of racking them. AV-Rizers aren't ?Image needed because the fans pull air from back to front instead of using passive cooling from bottom to top.Image
ImageImage
<<

F1nut

User avatar

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Posts: 4538

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:31 am

Location: The Mars Hotel

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:04 am

I'm going to puke.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.



In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

DJMARK

M-400t CUBE

Posts: 130

Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:00 pm

Location: Downers Grove/Normal Illinois

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:04 am

bob p wrote:the PM-1.5 has the same basic chassis as the M-1.5t, so yes it has some vent holes on the bottom, because you have to remove an access panel to get to the power transistor sockets. But those vent holes are non-functional for the most part, as the cover for the amp is SOLID. There are NO ventilation holes on the top or sides of the PM amp like there are on the M amp. ALL of the air is drawn by the fan from back-to-front, which is the norm in rack mounted gear. Cool air in through the back of the rack, hot air out of the front.


It is different for the lower powered PM amps. The big guys the PM 1200's and 1.5s have front to back but amps like the PM-175 and PM-350 have heatsinks that simply vent out the air from vents on the top and side. The biggers amps have fans.
All Carver Mobile DJ
Carver PM-175 ( X 2)
<<

treitz3

User avatar

"Julian"
"Julian"

Posts: 7746

Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:39 pm

Location: The tube lair in Charlotte, NC

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Why not use PM series in the home??

Blast from the past thread of the day....

Well, this year we will have a TFM-75 and it's PM series counterpart at Carverfest. We will all be able to make observations and you can answer the question for yourself, engtaz.

Let the battle begin!
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Glenlivet

Newbie 50+

Posts: 96

Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:18 pm

Location: Hope, B.C. Canada

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: Why not use PM series in the home??

I used two PM 1.5a's to bi-amp a pair of Infinity Kappa 9 front speakers, and a PM 1200 to power a pair of Infinity Quantum 2's in the rear, for years. The fans were quiet and the sound output, just fine thank you. :)
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Posts: 4482

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:24 pm

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:28 pm

Re: Why not use PM series in the home??

treitz3 wrote:Blast from the past thread of the day....

Well, this year we will have a TFM-75 and it's PM series counterpart at Carverfest. We will all be able to make observations and you can answer the question for yourself, engtaz.

Let the battle begin!


Good deal -

I have owned a lot of amps being nearly 100 years old now. Too be honest, most were the cheap kind.
I bet a solid Pro amp is better than 99% of the crap I bought. It will be fun to see if I can detect any audio differences.

For a hippie club I once ran, bought a pro amp (Fender) and speakers for the stage. They were stolen two weeks later, but I got them back from a liquor house in Piedmont Courts (Tom knows where that is). How I got out of there alive remains a mystery to me. A snitch gave me the address for a reward I posted, but the cops ignored me. Me and a Hippie kid named Bear went in there and took them back. I was dumb as dirt back then. :(
Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2011 phpBB Group.