It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:03 pm

Why not use PM series in the home??

<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:19 pm

Re: Why not use PM series in the home??

"I was dumb as dirt back then. "

Naw...too easy; would be like shooting fish in a barrel...no sport in that! :lol:
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:28 pm

elgrau wrote:"I was dumb as dirt back then. "

Naw...too easy; would be like shooting fish in a barrel...no sport in that! :lol:

Yea, I am still as dumb as dirt, but enjoy it more now.

You are a clever guy =D> =D>
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:42 pm

naw... WE ALL did stuff when young, and now sit back and think.... #-o #-o #-o #-o
why am I still ALIVE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

having heard a pt2400, lightstar and a tfm55 all back to back, with the same equip. song...
just different amps, the lightstar sounded the best, the pt2400 has very big balls ,but is a very neutral,flat sounding amp, the tfm55 at moderate volumes sounded good, but at higher volumes it sounded very strained and muddy, smeary....
these where drivin ALS'S 4ohm and lower.....
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:58 pm

mbskeam wrote:naw... WE ALL did stuff when young, and now sit back and think.... #-o #-o #-o #-o
why am I still ALIVE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

having heard a pt2400, lightstar and a tfm55 all back to back, with the same equip. song...
just different amps, the lightstar sounded the best, the pt2400 has very big balls ,but is a very neutral,flat sounding amp, the tfm55 at moderate volumes sounded good, but at higher volumes it sounded very strained and muddy, smeary....
these where drivin ALS'S 4ohm and lower.....

Good deal, but was it a blind show ? 8)
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:30 pm

no

eyes wide shut...... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:15 pm

mbskeam wrote:no

eyes wide shut...... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Great -
intend to set up a Bose system behind sheets this year and challenge people.
I am positive this group is cutting edge on audio, but are their ears ? :-"
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:21 am

"naw... WE ALL did stuff when young, and now sit back and think....
why am I still ALIVE "

amen to that.....makes you believe in "gaudian angel" (I'd say "crap" but better not...he/she might go away... :lol: ). If not for luck (or that), I'd have either went to jail or be dead at some point before I turned 21). Maybe someone should start a thread: what was the stupidest AND most dangerous thing(s) you did (and hopefully got away with it!) before your 21st birthday? (after that, you just a damn criminal to do those things! :lol: ).
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:28 am

elgrau wrote:"naw... WE ALL did stuff when young, and now sit back and think....
why am I still ALIVE "

amen to that.....makes you believe in "gaudian angel" (I'd say "crap" but better not...he/she might go away... :lol: ). If not for luck (or that), I'd have either went to jail or be dead at some point before I turned 21). Maybe someone should start a thread: what was the stupidest AND most dangerous thing(s) you did (and hopefully got away with it!) before your 21st birthday? (after that, you just a damn criminal to do those things! :lol: ).

"Ditto" on what ever Ed just posted - :rolleyes:
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:22 am

elgrau wrote:

Somehow I don't think most would post true facts about there under 21 screw ups! it would be fun to see what some will admit to though :lol:
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:44 am

How did this thread go from PM series use at home to this?? :-s :rolleyes:

Personally, I think the PM amps are a little noisy/unrefined for home use. They were designed for brute strength at the expense of some quietness.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:29 pm

I think some amps that are made for sound reinforcement or live work (like Crown, Behringer, Peavy, Pyramid, Pyle, PSC, etc.) are made for just that, and not for high fidelity listening. I think Carver pro amps are somewhat different, but lack the warmth that the non-pro versions have due to very minor circuit variations. The pro amps tend to be very sterile sounding.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:06 pm

Mike, you have a good ear. I can tell by your observations. Well done.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Audio)