FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:43 pm

C1 vs C4000

<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:52 pm

C1 vs C4000

A Buddy of my is selling his stereo gear. He offered me his C4000 preamp. I presently have the C1. Is there any difference between the two soundwise. I realize the C4000 has a lot more bells and whistles but they are of no concern to me. I'm attempting to upgrade my preamp and wondering if this is the way to go. Art
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:43 pm

I'm thinking the C-4000 had a SLIGHTLY better S/N ratio in both the line and phono stages, but maybe not enough to dump big bucks on at this juncture. I have the specs somewhere and will look it up for you and post them later or tomorrow. Right now I have to go across the street and get radioactive on some exceptional Greek cognac.
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:22 pm

Okay, it's today now and this info is right out of the original Carver brochure:

C4000t
Distortion - THD .05%/IHF IM.003%/T.I.M. .0%
S/N: 98d,re 2V (line stage)
Phono 1:M.M. 89dB re 5mV @ 47 ohms
Phono 2:M.C. 84dB re .5mV @ 47 ohms
Freq. Response - 1.5Hz to 60kHz +0, -3dB

C-1
Distortion - THD less than .04%, IM less than .04%
S/N: 96db IHF A-weighted, below 2V RMS (line stage)
Phono MM 82dB IHF A-weighted below 5mV RMS
Phono MC 86dB IHF A-weighted
Freq. Response - 5Hz-200kHz, +1 -3dB

ThThThThat's all folks!
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:45 pm

I've got a great idea. Why don't I do some MORE research for someone who can't bother to say thank you?
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:11 pm

C4000 info

George just got back today. Been helping my son get into his new home. First time I got on CarverAudio.com for awhile. Do appreciate your effort. The only problem I have is that I really can't translate specs into sound differences. Buddy has said he will let me try it for awhile. He winters in Florida so he won't be doing much til May. I'm also helping him sell the rest of his gear. Art
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:54 am

Art,

Thanks for chiming in with the facts. I've posted specs for folks here before with no responses whatsoever, so please forgive me jumping the gun on you.

Unless you're a real vinyl freak, I'm not sure the differences in the two preamps are going to jump out and grab you by the ears.

I used a C-1 myself for about 13 years and just moved to a C-16. The difference might be measurable, but again, not grabbing me by the ears. I heard a C-4000 about 15 years ago, used in conjunction with a M4.0t, a Denon 1500 cd plyr, and a pair of venerable AR-LST speakers. Too bad we humans only have about a 4 hour sonic memory. It sounded just fine, and was what prompted me to get separates rather than stick with the Carver "150" receiver I was using to drive a pair of AR-5's.

If you could get that C-4000 at a steal price I would do it just for the heck of having one
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:12 pm

Preamps

Gearge What I would really like to do is get my hands on a really good preamp not necessarily made by carver. I presently have the C1, 2 Silver9t's and the original Carver Amazings. I had a complete rewire of these speakers using Cardas and also replaced the binding posts with Cardas also something every one should do I might add since the original posts are really pathetic along side the Cardas. Like I told you my ears tell me the story and I'm not much of a specs man.I live in Canada in a the province of New Brunswick(that's right next to Maine) and theres really not much their equal in these parts. Most of our high end shops are gone with wide screens and surround dominating most sales around here. The problem I have these days is I cannot audition anything. I've seen all kind of great preamps on ebay but I am hesitant to drop a grand when I have no idea what i'm getting. A guy let me try a 1500 dollar preamp a McCormack on my system and it sounded liks shit. I think it might have had something to do with the gain something I've never even thought about. Would you have any idea what the gain would be no my C1? It might help when I'm considering a new preamp. I take it this gain would have to be fairly high considering what I am driving.The same problem exists with my cd player I have a Rotel and was looking around for something else. I found a player called a Jolita J D 100 S R Silver Reference tube cd player On Audiogon.com(item#1101107279) Sounds like a fabulous player but would I dare drop the $1000 to find out. Ever heard of these things???. Oh,one last though this buddy has offered to trade me his C4000 for my C1 sort of a thxs for helping him move his gear. This is another guy, one of the last around here, who is getting rid of over 10,000 in gear for widescreen and surround. I'm becoming a dying breed around here. Art
<<

TroyD

M-400t CUBE

Post Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:34 am

The Jolida CD player you mention is WELL worth getting. I have one with my Amazings and Silver 9t's. Great match.

I've owned the C-16 and the C-1 but not heard the C4000 but got to believe that they are all fairly similar. I'm of the opinion that as far as solid state goes, you aren't going to beat them by much. Unless you were going to go with a tube preamp, I wouldn't mess with it.

BDT
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:09 am

I'll second the Jolida. Take a look at this dealer and give him a call for prices.

http://www.soundodyssey.com/Products.html
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."

Return to Carver Home (Audio)