FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 am

How many watts per channel do you run with?

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:28 pm

As far a Lightstar vs. Sunfire.....

I won't bash either in public on the forum, as I really DO like both... but, with that said, I do not own anything Sunfire at all... Everything "High End" I have is Lightstar, and from what I have been told, (by a VERY VERY good and knowlagable source who knows just about everything about BOTH) I have decided to stick with the Lightstar equipment rather than going over to Sunfire.

Keep in mind... the LS-1 amp, was the "Let's see what you can really do Bob, if $$ isn't an issue" amp.... The LS-2 was the, "Ok, now how do we make it affordable, so people will buy one" version.

The preamp... well, again, after what I was told, I stuck with the LS preamp over switching to a Sunfire tubed preamp... It too want the, "Let's see what you can really do, if $$ isn't an issue" pre-amp....
The sunfire version, was trimmed down to make it affordable, to the average "high end" consumer.

I am no engineer, and I'm only going by what a couple "experts" told me to do. I had the option to get a Sunfire Signature 600x2 and a Sunfire Symphonic Reference Preamp, for just about the same $$ as the Lightstar Preamp, and LS-1 amp... I was told to get the Lightstars... so I did.
Don't get me wrong, the Sunfire gear is top notch as well, but $$ was not a factor when the Lightstar pieces were designed and built.

The LS-1 amp, has a 1/4" milled, brushed, anodized aluminum base plate... for no other reason than, "it looked good" That plate alone would cost me $150 to make, and there was no reason for it to even be part of the amp.
The LS-1 chassis, has NO HOLES or screws visable from the outside face, sides, or top.... The amp was built upside down, with everything bolted to the 3/8" thick chassis top, so there would be no screws visable. The bottom of the amp has to come off 1st, then you can work on it...
The LS pieces were a complete excersise on OVERKILL...
The amp will run just fine with 1 transformer, just like the LS-2... but it has (2) again, overkill !!!
The list goes on...

It's like getting a Ferrari GT... or an Enzo. They're both great cars, but you know the Enzo was built without any financial cost factors... "Built it, and some psycho will buy it"
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:28 pm

-thumbs up to the sig600x2 and classic tube pre

-or blocks w/either a c16 or 19

-for 2channel, acourse 8-[

-my 2bits
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:02 pm

I'm running a Lightstar Reference 2.0 to my ribbons(roughly 600-800 watts ea) and a 1000 watt Parts Express plate amp to each woofer array in my Original Amazing Loudspeakers. Finally blew the CBs in the basement on the 30 amp lines. This is only an experiment, I'm not sure if I like the way it sounds. I'm powering the Silvers with either a TFM-45 or TFM-55...depending on what day it is. 380 watts per...give or take a bit.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

audiophile101

TFM-55

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:03 pm

I've got to be running the lowest power out of everybody here. 18 watts per channel from Single Ended Tube Monoblock amplifiers.

My second system has a m-1.5t running at 4 ohms making it a 600 watts rms per channel (1200 total rms) if I'm not mistaken. That will be finished when my 1.5t gets back from Rolland. I'll be driving my Sony SS-M9's with it.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:16 pm

[quote="audiophile101"]I've got to be running the lowest power out of everybody here. 18 watts per channel from Single Ended Tube Monoblock amplifiers. [quote]

And I'm pretty sure that you can reach more than comfortable listening levels with them.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:26 pm

101, watts aren't the be all to end all.

Properly designed and set up? 6 watts can be bliss.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:29 pm

treitz3 wrote:101, watts aren't the be all to end all.

*IF* you own a set of Klipschorns.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:35 pm

Or very efficient speakers. Do those that were at CF remember the conversation on the porch about 16 ohm speak's and why they don't make them anymore?

Never mind, that should be for another thread....... #-o
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:13 am

Magnaryder wrote:
treitz3 wrote:101, watts aren't the be all to end all.

*IF* you own a set of Klipschorns.

ray

My Cornwall II are 101dB @ 1W@1m and with both of them stacked the load is 4R. With the M-500t meters at 5W (they're cal'd into 8R) I',m throwing 10W and it's loud. Doesn't sound loud though, until you try to talk to the guy sitting next to you and realize you have to shout
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:06 am

If I HAD to own anything other than Electrostatic speakers, it would be ultra-efficient horns, like the AvanGarde or Acapella speakers.

I'm dreaming of the day when I get a pair of AvantGarde Trio Clasicos and Basshorns, so I can run the main horns with some tiny little 30 or 50watt pure triode monoblocks, and run the Basshorns off a pair of Krells. That would just be sick...

But for now, I'm happy to live in "ultra-inefficient speaker-land", and pump enough current into my 88dB Martin Logans to arc-weld with to get good sound...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

probillygun

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:36 pm

TFM-55x @ 4 ohms 500 Watts per channel
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:24 pm

Dreamer wrote:If I HAD to own anything other than Electrostatic speakers, it would be ultra-efficient horns, like the AvanGarde or Acapella speakers.

Wow....from one end to the other, no middle ground eh? There are some fantastic non-horn drivers out there too.

I've had the pleasure to listen to the Focal Grand Utopia and the music just comes out of them effortessly
<<

Kahuna

TFM-45

Location: Area 51-Skunk Works Division - Space Age Materials Lab

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:14 pm

audiophile101 wrote:I've got to be running the lowest power out of everybody here. 18 watts per channel from Single Ended Tube Monoblock amplifiers.

2nd to me with my headphone amp @ slightly less than 1WPC. :D

Image Image
"The only thing in this world that gives orders, is balls"

German engineering in the haus..........Jah!

I'm from the United States of KISS MY @$$

Handle every stressful situation like a dog: Piss on it and walk away..
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:36 pm

Nice Kahuna! \:D/

<<

GregW

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:51 am

M1.0t on the fronts (SpeakerLab DAS-7, 4ohm)= 250 wpc(?)

M1.0t on the rears (SpeakerLab DAS-3, 4ohm)= " " " " " "

Polk Audio PSW505 Subwoofer, 300 wpc built-in amp.
You can never have too many components.
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)