FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:49 am

How many watts per channel do you run with?

<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:47 am

GregW wrote:M1.0t on the fronts (SpeakerLab DAS-7, 4ohm)= 250 wpc(?)

M1.0t on the rears (SpeakerLab DAS-3, 4ohm)= " " " " " "

Polk Audio PSW505 Subwoofer, 300 wpc built-in amp.

The M-1.0t is extremely under-rated. At 4 Ohms it'll do 450W
<<

GregW

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks for the heads up. I've had one of the amps since new & bought the other one last year. I've not been disappointed with either one.
Greg
You can never have too many components.
<<

ferrari

TFM-35

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:33 pm

My tfm-75 is the largest, but the power @ 8 ohms in my carver theatre is a total of 8400 watts ,,,,,,, thanks, ferrari iiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiii iiiiiiiii.........................
keep the faith my friends :)
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:47 pm

Itms we've all missed the original question......I RUN with 63 milliWatts(my MP3 player)
<<

lives country ( carver )

TFM-25

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:36 pm

amp output

.....hi all

well I picked up another tfm-45, last 10 days or so, on ebay...it arrived safe, the postal system is the only way to ship, maybe abit more expensive......

any way opened it up checked inside blew out with canned air, polished it up.....hooked it up......awsome, perfect.. \:D/ \:D/

.....definetly for sure the sonics and output of the tfm 45's, is amazing...

IMO would be a very difficult choice whether sunfire 300x2 or the 45's display any obvious preferences...the 45's seem warmer to me, ....full, lots of power..

........CARVER definetly,..is a winner......ha, any of u, familar with manufacturers equalling..the carver, sunfire etc. line..? curious

david

ps I set up my 2 daughters with carver systems, they each have tfm-42's identical cept led's,....have a spare tfm-42 here, so I deceided to pick up another tfm-42 as well, last week, on ebay (hope it turns out as well as this one) [-o< , it's missing the handles tho, will remedy that somehow, then after auditioning them both again, gonna send each girl another amp, then they can bridge, bi-wire or do what pleases em!. gotta get-em custom rack centres, made, love the woodworking part as well,.. and new loudspeakers built....ha been lazey, too much loafing! ah well,..soon O:)
d.
country's...pure sole...
<<

faustus

M-400t CUBE

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:18 pm

402 wpc = a couple of cubes in a biamp config.
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:58 pm

faustus wrote:402 wpc = a couple of cubes in a biamp config.

Cubes still would be hard to RUN with......my hats off to you ;)
<<

audiophile101

TFM-55

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:21 pm

Kahuna wrote:
audiophile101 wrote:I've got to be running the lowest power out of everybody here. 18 watts per channel from Single Ended Tube Monoblock amplifiers.

2nd to me with my headphone amp @ slightly less than 1WPC. :D

Not fair, headphone amps don't count! (or do they?) :(

Oh, I love the way that things glows up. NICE!!!!!!!!
<<

bikerdude523

TFM-55

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:17 pm

As Treitz3 said it not all about watts, but that depends on your speakers. My speakers aren't the most efficient.
My thought is, massive amounts of power. So I can achieve live performance sound levels with out pushing the amps beyond -10db. Not that I play my system at live levels contently, but when I do the neighbors are pi$$ed. O:)

Three M-4.0t's, a pair on the LF and one on the HF. Around 1500 watts per channel plus 1000 watts per on each of my left and right subs.
2 channel rig
Sunfire Classic vacuum tube Preamp: (3) M-4.0t's: SD/A-490t: Polk Audio SDA SRS: Velodyne SMS-1: (2) Velodyne DLS5000R's
<<

rolereversal

TFM-25

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:02 pm

RichP714 wrote:Itms we've all missed the original question......I RUN with 63 milliWatts(my MP3 player)

=D> I run with 2 Italian Greyhounds...they increase their power output when the spot a kitty cat! \:D/ Great for those hills.
<<

audiophile101

TFM-55

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:03 pm

I understand it's not all about watts. Thats why I'm running such low power. My speakers are only 90db sensitivity but do quite nice with the 18 watts. I've ran over 200 solid state watts into a pair of NS-1000M's and they took quite nicely. I've never blown a tweeter or any driver for that fact. I don't understand how people blow these things? In case you didn't know the NS-1000's have a reputation for having fairly easily damaged tweeters. How, I don't know.
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:53 pm

audiophile101 wrote:.....I don't understand how people blow these things? .....

It's easier to blow a tweeter with a lower powered amp than a high one.

A couple of things happen when an amp clips.

For one thing, the voice coil is using the surrounding magnetic as a heatsink. When you push it with a clipped signal, instead of moving gracefully in and out of the gap, it pushes out, hangs there, pushes back, hangs there, etc.

The 'hang time' removes the voice coil from its heatsink....it can thermally expand and crash into the gap, when it tries to push out again the voice coil can be torn in half.

Clipping also introduces harmonics that weren't in the original signal, stressing tweeters more than clean power.

A musical signal (AC) integrated over time has a net 0 DC offset. if an asymetrical signal is clipped, only one half of the waveform will be flattened; the integration will be skewed with a net DC offset, which can kill a driver
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:19 pm

rolereversal wrote:
RichP714 wrote:Itms we've all missed the original question......I RUN with 63 milliWatts(my MP3 player)

=D> I run with 2 Italian Greyhounds...they increase their power output when the spot a kitty cat! \:D/ Great for those hills.

You think that Italian Greyhounds increase their power when they spot a kitty cat, try a pair of 85 pound German Sheppard/Siberian Huskies on for size. A pair of those could probably tow your motorbike from 0 to 60 faster than its own engine when they spot a kitty cat!!!
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:27 pm

Running my AR-3a speakers on a 60 watt per channel Heathkit AR-1500 I built in 1970 is what did in the mids and the tweets, but the woofs are still great, and I use them as a subwoofer in my family room. It's easy to clip a 60 watt amp and destroy your sensitive parts without even hearing it (except for silence).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

GregW

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:31 pm

RichP714 wrote:
audiophile101 wrote:.....I don't understand how people blow these things? .....

It's easier to blow a tweeter with a lower powered amp than a high one.

A couple of things happen when an amp clips.

For one thing, the voice coil is using the surrounding magnetic as a heatsink. When you push it with a clipped signal, instead of moving gracefully in and out of the gap, it pushes out, hangs there, pushes back, hangs there, etc.

The 'hang time' removes the voice coil from its heatsink....it can thermally expand and crash into the gap, when it tries to push out again the voice coil can be torn in half.

Clipping also introduces harmonics that weren't in the original signal, stressing tweeters more than clean power.

A musical signal (AC) integrated over time has a net 0 DC offset. if an asymetrical signal is clipped, only one half of the waveform will be flattened; the integration will be skewed with a net DC offset, which can kill a driver

You're explanation has piqued my interest.......my C4000t exhibits tweeter noise with the amp I have hooked up on the Surround Sound circuit. Is there some way to avoid this (other than keeping the volume lowered) or is it normal for the Surround Sound side of the C4000t to not put out the same clarity of sound you get from the Mains?
Right now, I'm using an M1.0t for the Surround mode & DAS3B Speakerlabs, the tweeter noise is not as pronounced. I also tried an M200t with Polk RTi4s on the Surround circuit & got a bit more of the same tweeter noise. Anyone out there have the same problems with their C4000t? I noticed in the C4000t Owners Manual that there's 2 different ways to hook up the speakers for true surround v. regular 4 speaker sound....perhaps I need to wire up the speakers in the surround mode.......
Greg
You can never have too many components.
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)