FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:44 pm

ALS

<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:49 pm

ALS

Does anyone use these for their home surround sound? If so, what is your arrangement?

I'm looking to totally uprade the home theater. Seen some speakers I want to get which are on the smaller side. They were about $1500. Will have to look up the model number.

Just wondered if anyone has these dialed in on their surround sound system?

Thanks
Carverfest 2010 quote...I can't explain it right now, I'm drunk...

GO BUCKEYES
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Re: ALS

I don't know of anyone who has them setup as L/R in a HT. If I get a set of Plat MKIV's my ALIII's will replace my Thiels in my HT but that is down the road. I am sure that they would sound fine. Just need a big amp to drive them. The amp in most AVR's won't drive them unless you have something like the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Yea they don't sound well if you don't have the amo to push them. I did use them for a brief time in HT setup but it was a waste since I didn't have the right equip.

My thing is is that I want use and find something that supports HDMI. I'm just not all that familiar with everything on the market.

Can't wait to get some new woofers in. I think my ribbons are just fine. At least they were the last time I used them.

GO BUCKEYES
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Ferrari has an outstanding setup with all ALS' in an HT system. Run a search on his rig and be prepared to be blown away.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Ok...thanks

I will check it out.

GO BUCKEYES
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:39 pm

If I have some time tonight, I'll provide a couple of links for ya'. You won't be disappointed. ;)
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:53 pm

Thanks.

That would be might nice of ya.

I'm finally at a point in my life where I can finish what I started as far as building a nice home system. If I'm gonna spend money, I wanna do it the right way and not use a HTIB system (although there are few speakers systems worthy).

For me, I've never heard anything cleaner the ALS and that was just a basic set-up. I'm sure I will be at a total loss for words if I can configure something to use their full potential

GO BUCKEYES
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:58 pm

bsturgeon89 wrote:My thing is is that I want use and find something that supports HDMI.

I would hold off right now on investing in HDMI. I just read a month or so ago that HDMI 1.4 will be out in the next year and it is not backwards compatible.

I am not a real big HT guy but I would check into this before you spend any $$$.

Just an FYI
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:10 pm

Ok...thanks for the FYI.

The only thing I have right now HDMI is a Blu-Ray player.

Not that much into movies are ya? Same with music goes with HT....when you can hear everything it just makes the movie that much better

GO BUCKEYES
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:20 pm

I am not saying I don't have a HT. I actally have a pretty nice system. I just don't keep up with all the new technology out there. I setup my system a while ago and don't have the upgrade bug for the HT. I watch some TV and a few movies a week but my 2 channel is on pretty much the rest of the time I am home.

Outlaw 970 preamp
Carver TFM 25
2 Carver TFM 15cb's
Denon DVD 2200
Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Channel
Thiel CS 3.5 for my mains
Advent bookshelf or rears

I have the TFM 25 into the Def Techs which gives me 350wpc into my L/R, a TFM 15cb bridged into my center for 280watts and the other 15cb into my rears for 100wpc. My preamp is okay. It does DVI and Component switching and does most of the DD and DTS 7.1 processing. Though I have an older DVD player so I am only at 480p but it looks and sounds great IMO. I don't have a sub yet for it. The Thiels do pretty well since they are good down to 20hz.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:24 pm

I'm just one of those people that believes that the DEC part of codec shouldn't be in the A/V receiver, it should be in the player. Look, we all had to get new players for Blu-ray, why should we have to discard perfectly good preamps just because the new Blu-ray codecs can't be decoded by our A/V receiver? Here, most of us have stereo pramps that are 30 (some almost 40) years old, but with every whim in the video world, we dump our A/V preamps so we can decode the latest software. It's insane. Why do we do this? HDMI.

I for one would be happy if they'd stopped at DVI-D, and left the audio completely separate. You take the shortest path from you player to the video via DVI-D, and analog out of your player to your A/V preamp with 8 good old RCA -terminated cables. Leave the player to DECode the audio information.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Oh I agree,

I wouldn't switch out or stop using a pre-amp or receiver for that purpose.

I'm at a totally different level than most of the guys on this forum and that is basically at the very begining. So I would like to build something with great sound, preferably a 7.1 HT. Do I know how to do that and know what I should use? No...not even close. All the tech talk is a foreign language to me sometimes so I read a lot but it still doesn't make sense most of the time. I don't care if its HDMI or not. Yes, I want a great picture but I want a great sound too. I'm past the HTIB systems

GO BUCKEYES
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:12 pm

bsturgeon89 wrote:Does anyone use these for their home surround sound? If so, what is your arrangement?

I'm looking to totally uprade the home theater. Seen some speakers I want to get which are on the smaller side. They were about $1500. Will have to look up the model number.

Just wondered if anyone has these dialed in on their surround sound system?

Thanks

I believe one of our Canadian members has ALS in H/T setup....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Ron Carter

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:17 am

I use a pair of Platinums as my fronts in my HT system. They are powered by my sunfire 300 amp, which get's it signal from a sunfire tgII processor. My sub is a sunfire true eq 10. My center and rears are NHT's which work well with my Platinums. They are powered by two(2) carver m500t's. The sound is incredible to say the least.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:32 am

Here's a pic of Ferrari's speakers for his HT rig, not set up of course. Image

Look up Stonehenge in the search engine and you will find a plethora of information. He describes it in detail in the "list your system" thread. Give me a moment and I will try to find it for you.

Next

Return to Carver Home (Theater)