FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Sub question?

<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:44 pm

Sub question?

A Sunfire Sub Junior on e-bay. I'm not interested in a sub right now but thinking about connections? The last speaker set-up I had was Infinity Satellites with 2-10" subs that I have now given to my daughter. When I did have these hooked up, I wired in series with the satellites. If you were to hook up say 2 of these Junior's would you wire the same? or run the sub output from the TGP-III direct to the subs and use the internal amp in the sub? I guess there is different ways to wire a sub, just not sure what is the best? Thanks
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunfire-True-Subwoo ... 2ea83553cd
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Sub question?

Jag_97470 wrote:A Sunfire Sub Junior on e-bay. I'm not interested in a sub right now but thinking about connections? The last speaker set-up I had was Infinity Satellites with 2-10" subs that I have now given to my daughter. When I did have these hooked up, I wired in series with the satellites. If you were to hook up say 2 of these Junior's would you wire the same? or run the sub output from the TGP-III direct to the subs and use the internal amp in the sub? I guess there is different ways to wire a sub, just not sure what is the best? Thanks
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunfire-True-Subwoo ... 2ea83553cd

And to add to this question. What if you did two of these subs?
Carverfest 2010 quote...I can't explain it right now, I'm drunk...

GO BUCKEYES
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Well, a TGP-IIIhas 3 sub outputs (4 if you count the XLR balanced output). You would connect the two subs to two of those outputs. What I do is to allow my mains to go full range, and augment their bass below some point (which is selectable on your TGP-III). I use 50 Hz, where bass sounds directionless to me (and most people, I'm sure, which is why you can get away with one sub).

Connecting this way will provide much less burden on your amplifier., and will generally sound better because you won't have the phase shift introduced by the voice coil in you mains.

If you had a different preamp (a stereo only, for instance), you could connect the output of that to the sub which would pass through the signal to your power amp above a fixed frequency. But that frequency is fixed by the sub, and your speakers will never see anything below that point. With a TGP-III you have much more flexibility with "Enhanced Bass" mode.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:46 pm

Cool, thanks BillD

Return to Carver Home (Theater)