FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:52 pm

Plug Carver amps into surge suppressor?

<<

blackamp

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:33 am

Plug Carver amps into surge suppressor?

I picked up a TFM-35 last year.Should I plug the amp into my Panamax or right into the wall? Will a surge suppressor limit current to the amp?
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Plug Carver amps into surge suppressor?

blackamp wrote:I picked up a TFM-35 last year.Should I plug the amp into my Panamax or right into the wall? Will a surge suppressor limit current to the amp?

Well According to Bob Carver himself he said PLUG everything he makes Directly into the wall Plug! I have all my Amp's plugged in the wall Plug but here I am fairly safe from Electrical storms and if one comes - I can just un-plug my amps temp...
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:46 am

I don't know about surge protectors. Every power strip today has those built in. I thought he said not to use a power conditioner as that limits the drawing of current??? :-s
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:06 am

It is recommended to plug it directly into the wall. Welcome to the forum blackamp, cool avatar.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:50 am

While at Carverfest last year, Matt and I poised this question to Bob about his TFM-45 going through a Panamax. Living in Florida, we were concerned about all of the thunderstorms and lightning hits. Bob told us it was not necessary, that the 45 had adequate protection built in. He also told us it would not hurt anything. Of course, there is the school of thought to use for amp only, nothing else. That is for each individual user to decide if you can hear a difference or not. (part of the tweaking process) Ground loop issues can also play a role.

Since we are lazy and like the turn on/off /trigger feature in the proper sequence, we use the Panamax/Panamaxes. When I was using the TFM-75, I was using two Panamaxes and two dedicated circuits (have a total of (5) 20 amp dedicated circuits in HTR) just for that beast. (Keeping in mind, the 75 has two power cords which are two prong)

My two cents.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

ekog

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:21 pm

I have a whole house surge suppressor/power conditioner installed which has the same function as the small strips but all the power in the house is protected by it. I don’t think I should have the current draw issues that you would get from the small plug-in surge suppressing power strips. If you’re concerned with lightning strikes this may be an option for you.
Main System Setup:
Pre: Carver C2 | Amp: Carver M-500t|Equilizer: Sansui SE99|Speakers: Polk SDA2’s
Source: Tuner: Carver TX-2| Phono: Technics SL-1210 MkII with a Ortofon VMS 20E Mk II| DirecTV DVR | Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc player | Samsung DVD/VHS player

Second System Setup:
Receiver: Yamaha RXV867| Fronts: Klipsch F-30's |Sub: Klipsch SW-112
Source: Radio |Internet/Network | Sony CDP-70 CD player
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:24 am

I have always run my carver amps over the years on surge suppressors. M-200t, a pair of M-500ts, and my Silver 7t.s.

Run through cheap protected power strips, high-end Belkins, Zero Surges, Panamax, and a few other computer-related brands.

I don't notice a difference in the sound when I run them directly off the wall, and the added protection makes me feel safer. I've lived in the DC area (some of the DIRTIEST power in the nation--full of HUGE RFI and EMI spikes and all sorts of HF and AM hash), and in NC (where electrical storms are a weekly event).

I can't say which is best for someone else, but in my rig, I don't notice any degradation, and the added safety for my gear keeps my nerves calm...
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

TNRabbit

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:41 am

blackamp wrote:I picked up a TFM-35 last year.Should I plug the amp into my Panamax or right into the wall? Will a surge suppressor limit current to the amp?

A power conditioner CAN limit the amps capacity, depending on a lot of factors. If you crank hard, I'd recommend staying with directly into the wall outlet.

There are a lot of variables, but that's my $.02....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:48 am

In general, I agree with the consensus here that Carver/Sunfire amps should be plugged directly into the wall. Having said that, however, let me note that you likely won't hear a difference unless the source material, the position of your volume control, and the load your speakers put on the amplifier present a demand requiring very high (instantaneous) peak current flow.
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:19 am

stereo_buff wrote:In general, I agree with the consensus here that Carver/Sunfire amps should be plugged directly into the wall. Having said that, however, let me note that you likely won't hear a difference unless the source material, the position of your volume control, and the load your speakers put on the amplifier present a demand requiring very high (instantaneous) peak current flow.

=D> =D> =D>

Return to Carver Home (Theater)