FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:45 pm

av-705x potentiometers

<<

brrrdog

Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:58 pm

av-705x potentiometers

First of all, it's nice to see that this form is still active. When I clicked on the forum link on the web page that hasn't been updated in years, I thought for sure I was going to see "last updated 3/1/2001". Nice to be wrong some times.

Not unlike probably everybody else here, my ears are constantly making sure my system is sounding just as good as the day I bought it. Recently I started noticing that my carver sounded flat or out of balance or something. Mid movie I finally had enough and realized that something just wasn't right. First thing I did was run the white noise to make sure all channels were balanced and sure enough two of them were way down. After tightening the binding posts it still wasn't right so I double checked that the pots were at their full "THX" position. They were, but when I dialed one down and back up, it jumped back to where it should be. Doing the same thing to the rest of the pots, at least put everything back into balance again. Now, should I be concerned with this further? Did the quick dial scrape off the contaminates that were giving me the problem? Or are these pots still limiting the amp in some way. Should I just crack the amp open and check the resistance of the pots and if so are they replaceable/repairable?
<<

Chuck_K

TFM-25

Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:29 pm

try squirting some radio shack contact cleaner/lubricant into the pots from the rear. you'll have to open the unit.

Return to Carver Home (Theater)