FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:43 am

HR-895 Home Theater Set-up/Novice Question

<<

Robert Anderson

Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:05 am

HR-895 Home Theater Set-up/Novice Question

OK after hearing a friends vintage Carver set-up produce sound that beats a lot of what I hear today at Hi-Fi buys and knowing the limitations on using Bob's older stuff (non TG and Sunfire) I want to plunge in and build a decent, relatively cheap HT system that rivals the 1-2K systems my neighbors have with plastic fronts. I'm looking at the HR-895 (realize that it dosn't have Dolby D..but I've heard reviewers say that PLogic from the HR-895 sounds pretty rockin decent?). Now my questions, can I use the pre-amp outs to give my 2 front speakers more oomph (speakers are 8 ohms 250W max)? Will I run into a serious heat problem if I do--I've heard these receivers can generate lots of heat at peak on their own and with another amp bi-amping it right next door am I taking a risk? Should I buy some seperate fans to dissipate the heat? I'm also looking at complementing my front towers with some decent in ceiling rear surrounds--any feedback on what would work good? I'd be interested in what other HR-895 owners that are still using these are doing in order to maximize what they hear in a home theater mode. What's your set up? What creative ideas have you come up with to get as much as you can from the HR-895. Also what other Carter equipment are you using to complement it (CD players, etc., etc.). I love 2 Channel Hifi as well as HT so I'm hoping the HR-895 will deliver. In stereo mode with a decent set of speakers will I hear "plucking of the strings" type of sound? Lots of questions, sorry to inundate you guys...but all responses much appreciated. I'm a novice but I love great music.. Beer pocketbook, though.. I know I shouldn't expect much having spent $200 bucks for this receiver..but damn, its a Carver!
<<

packratt

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:23 pm

I think you will be pleased with it. I only have mine set up for 2 channel but I'm very happy.

You got a deal if you only paid 200 for it provided it is in good condition.
Le

Carver HR-895
Thorens TD-145 with AT3600
Nakamichi DR-2
Sony CDP-CX355
Pioneer PDR-609
Advent The Smaller Advent - stacked
<<

Robert Anderson

Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. Anyone running in a HT Mode?

I really appreciate the feedback. If there's anyone running the HR895 bi-amped in a HT mode..would love to hear from you. Thanks.
<<

bikerdude523

TFM-55

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:54 pm

I am running a C-1000A and two M-1.0T's in mono on its preamp outs to my mains and recever power to all the HT speakers and it works and sounds great. 2900 watts and two 15" subs at 1200 watts each.
(ROCK ON) \:D/
<<

jsshattuck

Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:06 pm

895s

Greetings,

Ive switched to a 29v and sep amps now, but hope to resurrect the 895 soon as I find a vol control for it- that aside- when i did have it- it does get warm, but not anything to worry about it- keep air space between it and other equipment.

as a base for surround sound, yes, I can attest to the fact you will hear plenty of guitar strings, if you havent ever heard a violin on a carver- what a treat, really captures the strings- AND the resonance of the body of different violins.

I have canton speakers (powered sub) which really seemed to work well and will easily rival the folks next door. a surprising amount of quality is in older mbquart speakers- they sell some really nice built-in speakers, but I prefer the cantons slightly warmer sound.

I have a windows media computer, sony cd/dvd 400 changer, and the canton speakers in 5.1 setup.

With the 895 in place, 1492 in the dvd player, (be sure to listen to the scene where they are setting out on their voyage- (vangelis did the theme music), this is probably the highest i will ever crank this equipment- on this movie- two hours of it and it gets relatively warm and i run an open cabinet. (an old steamer trunk stood on end). so, it may get too warm on you with other heat generators around-

Rule of thumb- the cooler the better for the most part! any cooling effort is good.

hope this helps,

my final note- get good speakers if you dont already! youll need them!

jeff
they were right- my hearing was the first to go.

Return to Carver Home (Theater)